Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

03 350z what so i need for engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 01:23 AM
03350zred1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 350z what so i need for engine swap

I have a 03 350z that was crashed so i want to pull the entire driveline out, eventually putting it into a new 350z when i buy one. Mine only has a 100,000 miles and doesnt leak or burn a drop. Can i pull the ECU and put it in a new car? My ECU has a tune already flashed to it. Also, do i need to pull the BCM or any specific things from the crashed car so the new car will run?

Thank you
Old 09-20-2023, 02:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

so you bought it around July, and already crashed it.... shocker

Originally Posted by 03350zred1
I have a 03 350z that was crashed so i want to pull the entire driveline out, eventually putting it into a new 350z when i buy one. Mine only has a 100,000 miles and doesnt leak or burn a drop. Can i pull the ECU and put it in a new car? My ECU has a tune already flashed to it. Also, do i need to pull the BCM or any specific things from the crashed car so the new car will run?

Thank you

Last edited by travlee; 09-20-2023 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:27 AM
03350zred1

[QUOTE=travlee;11114501]so you bought it around July, and already crashed it.... shocker

traveling at 75mph on cruise down the highway at night and a deer ran out so i swerved which resulted in fishtailing into the ditch. my fault for not being AJ Foyt 2.0
Old 09-20-2023, 03:47 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

ha, that actually made me laugh
Old 09-20-2023, 06:30 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

In theory, a non-revup DE swap to/from a non-revup DE should be pretty straightforward. So, as long as this new Z is an 03-05 (05 not being an anniversary edition), you should be ok.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:50 AM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Hi OP,

Sorry for your loss.

I think you can swap the PCM/ECM without any issue. Note the trim levels of the donor vehicle and replacement vehicle. Things like Cruise Control and TCS/VDC may require a ROM reflash/edit to enable or disable some features. Also keep in mind the gauge cluster PCB design changes with the trim level (base model clusters don't have LEDs soldered on for Cruise Control and other features). For example if your old Z is a base model and you swap to an enthusiast, Cruise Control, TCS, & VDC will not work with your old PCM. Warning lights will pop on the cluster in this scenario. But it is possible to change ROMs on your old PCM to enable these features. I did this to get Factory Cruise Control working on my Base model (among other pre-requisites). In my situation cruise control was working, but I had no cluster indicator lights until I swapped out the clusters (pain in the ***). But since I had a base model chassis and only added factory Cruise Control, the TCS and VDC lights were lit up (because they were not equipped). I ended up just blacking out those LEDs on the cluster PCB, no codes were set if a scan was run, I think this is the default behavior of the cluster if a loss of signal is detected for those features.

As for the BCM, I believe this controls the anti-theft system and registered keys (transponders). I would not swap this over since it may involve re-cutting and re-programming keys + fobs. Admittedly I'm not an expert in these types of swaps, but my understanding is that the PCM shouldn't impact the security system.

If someone else has done this kind of swap, I would lean on their wisdom. Just my 2c.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 09-20-2023, 12:22 PM
03350zred1

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
In theory, a non-revup DE swap to/from a non-revup DE should be pretty straightforward. So, as long as this new Z is an 03-05 (05 not being an anniversary edition), you should be ok.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-20-2023, 12:23 PM
03350zred1

Originally Posted by icer5160
Hi OP,

Sorry for your loss.

I think you can swap the PCM/ECM without any issue. Note the trim levels of the donor vehicle and replacement vehicle. Things like Cruise Control and TCS/VDC may require a ROM reflash/edit to enable or disable some features. Also keep in mind the gauge cluster PCB design changes with the trim level (base model clusters don't have LEDs soldered on for Cruise Control and other features). For example if your old Z is a base model and you swap to an enthusiast, Cruise Control, TCS, & VDC will not work with your old PCM. Warning lights will pop on the cluster in this scenario. But it is possible to change ROMs on your old PCM to enable these features. I did this to get Factory Cruise Control working on my Base model (among other pre-requisites). In my situation cruise control was working, but I had no cluster indicator lights until I swapped out the clusters (pain in the ***). But since I had a base model chassis and only added factory Cruise Control, the TCS and VDC lights were lit up (because they were not equipped). I ended up just blacking out those LEDs on the cluster PCB, no codes were set if a scan was run, I think this is the default behavior of the cluster if a loss of signal is detected for those features.

As for the BCM, I believe this controls the anti-theft system and registered keys (transponders). I would not swap this over since it may involve re-cutting and re-programming keys + fobs. Admittedly I'm not an expert in these types of swaps, but my understanding is that the PCM shouldn't impact the security system.

If someone else has done this kind of swap, I would lean on their wisdom. Just my 2c.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Noted. Thank you for the help