Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Current best place to buy a convertible top?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 08:34 AM
Dallasmavs92

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Current best place to buy a convertible top?

As with most companies and items things change, companies go downhill whether in service or product quality, so I am curious where the current best place to get a replacement soft top is?

I don't necessarily need OEM, but if OEM has parts or features some of the cheaper ones don't I'll go that route so it's a clean looking repair. Amazon has some for about $700 but I question the authenticity of quality and the reviews. Anyone do this repair recently or know of someone who did and had a good experience with a particular part? And tips or tricks I'd also need to know before tackling this?

Looks like I'll need a rivet gun, offset Phillips screwdriver, double sided tape, putty knife to pry apart mid bars, anything else?

Last edited by Dallasmavs92; 11-19-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:33 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

I did this about 1.5 years ago. Not bad. Just take your time. I used this thread with the FSM.

https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...ent-guide.html

I would recommend the Haartz/Robbins Stayfast cloth. Much better quality than OEM.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:11 AM
Dallasmavs92

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
I did this about 1.5 years ago. Not bad. Just take your time. I used this thread with the FSM.

https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...ent-guide.html

I would recommend the Haartz/Robbins Stayfast cloth. Much better quality than OEM.
Thank you, and yes I will be going with a stayfast top from one of those companies to hopefullyske life a little easier. Anything in particular you know now that would help with another one if you installed today?
Old 11-20-2023, 05:02 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

Nothing really I can think of offhand since that write-up is pretty detailed. One thing I would say is when you drill out the old rivets, the pieces will inevitably fall into the hollow tube/frame. Just make sure you shoot A LOT of compressed air into the tube to force all of the pieces out of the openings at the ends. It can be a little tedious to get all of the remnants out, but it is well worth it so that you don't hear them rattling around overhead when you're driving and making turns.

You can certainly do it alone, but it's much easier with two people.

After install is complete, try to let it "bake" in the sun for about a week to stretch the material out.

I think I got my top from topsonline.com since it was the cheapest at the time. I like the rear window and how it is molded into the fabric as opposed to the raised rubber trim piece like the OEM top.

I put on some tint film while the new top was off as that was much easier than trying to squeeze in that tiny space once it's on. If you have tinted windows, I would do that prior to putting it on.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:55 AM
Dallasmavs92

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Nothing really I can think of offhand since that write-up is pretty detailed. One thing I would say is when you drill out the old rivets, the pieces will inevitably fall into the hollow tube/frame. Just make sure you shoot A LOT of compressed air into the tube to force all of the pieces out of the openings at the ends. It can be a little tedious to get all of the remnants out, but it is well worth it so that you don't hear them rattling around overhead when you're driving and making turns.

You can certainly do it alone, but it's much easier with two people.

After install is complete, try to let it "bake" in the sun for about a week to stretch the material out.

I think I got my top from topsonline.com since it was the cheapest at the time. I like the rear window and how it is molded into the fabric as opposed to the raised rubber trim piece like the OEM top.

I put on some tint film while the new top was off as that was much easier than trying to squeeze in that tiny space once it's on. If you have tinted windows, I would do that prior to putting it on.
Very helpful again! And great idea with the tint, I never thought to do that. Much appreciated!