Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Locking Differential??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 07:00 AM
Tech Territory

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Locking Differential??

I just randomly thought of this idea the other day, and I assume that it already exists, because I know for a fact that trucks have it, but are there any companies that make a locking differential for a 350z? I think that would be pretty awesome, but not sure about prices or anything like that... make a drift car that would be a daily-able car also?? More of a idea than something I would 100% do
Old 01-30-2024, 09:59 AM
Aeneas137

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Are you talking about some kind of manual switch to lock both axles like a welded diff? If you want street manners plus drifting you'll need a traction-lock diff. I've never heard of a manual lock. Not sure there's a market for it.
The following users liked this post:
Tech Territory (02-10-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 05:13 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by Aeneas137
Are you talking about some kind of manual switch to lock both axles like a welded diff? If you want street manners plus drifting you'll need a traction-lock diff. I've never heard of a manual lock. Not sure there's a market for it.
gotcha
Old 02-05-2024, 06:39 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Tell ya this, you do NOT want a locker if you're driving on public roads. It's a horrifying experience, they're noisy, and they just take the word "street" out of streetable. In my youthful endeavors (dual purpose street/drag cars), made that mistake with an Eaton unit. Known as a Detroit locker, it was great pulling on green for a quarter mile. But on the street, ehhhhhhhh.

Especially in a sports car.

Closest thing that I would even consider for a Z is some form of upgraded limited slip diff. The standard limited slip on all Zs above Base is a viscous (fluid) LSD unit. Not terribly great under race/demanding conditions but fine for everyday use. If you want to step up, you're looking at a Torsen type (short for "torque sense"), with Quaife leading that charge (and there are others like OS-G, Wavetrac, etc.; but the Quaife if probably one of the most popular.)..

They all provide more locking than a viscous but does not offer full lockup (but the amount of lock up can be adjusted on some units so keep that in mind if you require it for differing track applications.)

Just be cautious when shopping - familiarize yourself with the differences between a 1-way, 2-way, 1.5-way diff, which diff housing you're buying for: an open or VLSD rearend, and so on. Most importantly, match your NEED to the proper unit. Like I said, I jumped at what "everyone else recommended" without really thinking about the mechanics and functionality behind it.
260DET#2 (02-05-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 02:46 AM
tuzzio

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

An aftermarket LSD does take away some of the comforts of the vehicle, but I personally think an aftermarket LSD is more comfortable than a welded diff.
I have a Kaaz 2 way in my 240, and average 8k miles a year. Its really not that bad at all, sure, it clunks around low speed corners but, thats really the worst part of it.

Also, Kaaz also has the "Super Q" option now where it is designed to be a bit more forgiving - supposedly.
Tech Territory (02-10-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 10:40 PM
260DET#2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tried a OS.Giken LSD in their 350? They are supposed to be the smoothest, I'm hoping that the new R200 one I have will fit.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:45 AM
Aeneas137

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 260DET#2
Has anyone tried a OS.Giken LSD in their 350? They are supposed to be the smoothest, I'm hoping that the new R200 one I have will fit.

@Escobar has one. you can chat with him about it.

I'm going to put a torsen in my 350Z because I don't want to deal with clutches and adjustments. maybe in the future but not now. a clutch style is complete overkill unless you are in advanced HPDE or comp racing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aeneas137:
260DET#2 (02-07-2024), Tech Territory (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 08:08 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by tuzzio
An aftermarket LSD does take away some of the comforts of the vehicle, but I personally think an aftermarket LSD is more comfortable than a welded diff.
I have a Kaaz 2 way in my 240, and average 8k miles a year. Its really not that bad at all, sure, it clunks around low speed corners but, thats really the worst part of it.

Also, Kaaz also has the "Super Q" option now where it is designed to be a bit more forgiving - supposedly.
Definitely something different to think about, appreciate it, i’ll look into it a bit more!

Old 02-10-2024, 08:10 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Tell ya this, you do NOT want a locker if you're driving on public roads. It's a horrifying experience, they're noisy, and they just take the word "street" out of streetable. In my youthful endeavors (dual purpose street/drag cars), made that mistake with an Eaton unit. Known as a Detroit locker, it was great pulling on green for a quarter mile. But on the street, ehhhhhhhh.

Especially in a sports car.

Closest thing that I would even consider for a Z is some form of upgraded limited slip diff. The standard limited slip on all Zs above Base is a viscous (fluid) LSD unit. Not terribly great under race/demanding conditions but fine for everyday use. If you want to step up, you're looking at a Torsen type (short for "torque sense"), with Quaife leading that charge (and there are others like OS-G, Wavetrac, etc.; but the Quaife if probably one of the most popular.)..

They all provide more locking than a viscous but does not offer full lockup (but the amount of lock up can be adjusted on some units so keep that in mind if you require it for differing track applications.)

Just be cautious when shopping - familiarize yourself with the differences between a 1-way, 2-way, 1.5-way diff, which diff housing you're buying for: an open or VLSD rearend, and so on. Most importantly, match your NEED to the proper unit. Like I said, I jumped at what "everyone else recommended" without really thinking about the mechanics and functionality behind it.

This is super helpful for me to think through! appreciate it much, I will definitely do some more research’s and try and find something that suits my needs!
Old 02-11-2024, 05:50 AM
Escobar

Received 153 Likes on 127 Posts

A good 1.5 way diff is a must. 1 wheel peel is trash! haha The OS giken is very smooth, highly recommend. Just dont go to high lock like 80% and it wont be as harsh.
260DET#2 (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 07:23 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by 260DET#2
had one and loved it, but sure was not smooth.

quafe would be a smooth one for street use