Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Notchy Shifting - 2004

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 05:42 AM
311roadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy Shifting - 2004

I have a 2004 Touring 350Z (1700 miles) and it seems that when I shift from 1st to 2nd, it is not smooth, but kinda notchy. All other gears are fine. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:44 AM
NzZ

Default Re: Notchy Shifting - 2004

It seems like almost everyone has this problem. I've driven quite a few Zs, and even the 04s I drove were like that. Even people that had their trannies replaced continue to have notchiness into 2nd. The notchiness gets a little better once the car is warm. I wish there was a fix.

NzZ
Old 02-28-2004, 05:51 AM
EddieJr

I've got the problem, but I have also noticed when I rev the engine higer its a smoother transition into second.

Also I got an early version 2004 maybe we may need to get the updated tranny everyone talking about.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Mozi

Mid 03 production. Shifting is perfect for all gears.

MoZi
Old 02-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Jetpilot718

You just gotta get used to it. The gearbox is amazing once you get the hang of it. You will need to revmatch every gear when shifting however. Just shift normally, and come in with a little gas then hitting the clutch engagement point (about 75% of the way up)

Good luck, happy shifting!
Old 02-29-2004, 06:08 PM
longbowe

I still have the same problem 8 months later; but as NzZ mentioned, it gets better once the car is warm. I had my baby checked several times to see if it was a tranny issue, but it's apparently not. And there are some Z's out there that never see this problem; I got to drive a couple of them around the lot when I worked at a dealership. So I guess it's not that uncommon, and it's not really an indication that there's something wrong with the way it's put together. For what it's worth.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Dre Dizzle

Took my car in last week and they said it was nothing. So I guess I'll have to take their word for it...
Old 02-29-2004, 11:06 PM
WeFlyTonight

It only does that for me in the morning when the engine is cold; but after driving for about couple minutes, it goes away when the engine is warmer. To avoid that notchy feel , try not to shift too soon, go past 3k rpm then shift.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:42 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem too! Shifting from 1st to 2nd felt like there was a piece of metal clicking in the way of the shifter when you place it into 2nd. I'm reaching almost 2000 miles now and that notchy 1st to 2nd is gone. I guess it has to break in properly?

Give it a few more hundred miles or so...you'll probably be fine.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:59 AM
TruBluZ

I had that problem when I first got mine. It went away after 1000 miles. Seems to me that the clutch was just a little tight and needed to be broken in a little. Haven't had the problem since.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Sr. Panza

I've got just a little over 8K miles on my Z and the problem persists. What I find strange however is that I don't hear or feel it all the time. I'm glad to hear it's not a transmission problem however.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Grommit

I get that problem too. I have about 1900 miles on my 04 Z and at times (say, 50% of the time) I get notchy feelings when going into second. Some times it feels totally smooth and perfect, but those are rare cases.

My biggest problem is that downshifting into first get's down right difficult at times. I have to seriously shove the shifter into first! I swear I can hear this hydraulic whine when I try to downshift into first. Anyone else have that problem? It's weird.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:55 PM
berferd

Originally posted by Grommit
I get that problem too. I have about 1900 miles on my 04 Z and at times (say, 50% of the time) I get notchy feelings when going into second. Some times it feels totally smooth and perfect, but those are rare cases.

My biggest problem is that downshifting into first get's down right difficult at times. I have to seriously shove the shifter into first! I swear I can hear this hydraulic whine when I try to downshift into first. Anyone else have that problem? It's weird.
Are you at a stop when "downshifting" into first? You should not be "downshifting" into first while the vechicle is moving.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Philip

I NEVER downshift a car into first, 1st gear is meant to start from a dead stop, if I'm rolling at all I use second and don't downshift into first unless I come near to a full stop, the noise you here is you sycro's! You would have to blip you throttel and raise your revs to even get in first gear downshifting, I sure never want to buy a manual trans car that you ever drove! Your first gear downshiting is going to puke you tranny
Old 03-02-2004, 04:18 PM
zlove

Please don't tell me you are downshifting into first while you are moving!??!

(Even after the car is warmed up you should only go down into first while going less than 5mph or so, basically when you are completly slowed down waiting on a light or something!)

That whine is the tranny trying to fight against you to prevent you from damaging it!!
Old 03-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Grommit

Yeah, I only shift into first when I am pulling up into my driveway which means I go less than 5MPH cause I don't want to run over my cat. heh.

It's just at times I cannot get it into first with out a lot of effort even when I am at a complete stop. Ugh!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:43 PM
straderp

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
I'm reaching almost 2000 miles now and that notchy 1st to 2nd is gone. I guess it has to break in properly?
...or maybe the driver has to be broken in? <sly grin>

JUST KIDDING!

I have the same issue with shifting into 2nd. It's a little grindy/notchy. It's really just a matter of gentle finesse to ease it in; practice definitely helps. First gear can also be a little finicky to get into from a dead stop if the car is ice cold.

I had a '96 240SX and drove-but-didn't-own a 300ZX, and they both exhibited the same gear finickiness. I never had the same issue with other manuals I've driven, so I assume it's a Nissan thing. Just be gentle and guide it into gear; the Z'll grab it and pull it in when she's ready.

Someone else posted it in this thread, but it bears repeating. The Z likes matched revs on shifts. When your foot is 2/3 of the way off the clutch, give her the gas she craves and release the clutch fully, smoothly, and quickly. She will reward you with that awesome purr, and no hitch, bump, or jump into the next gear range.

In rush hour traffic, the pattern is a little different. You don't want to feel her accelerate on the gear change because you'll probably hit the car in front of you. I have found that a full clutch depress while I come off the gas--shift--full quick clutch release with gentle gas as you come off the clutch will minimize the "rush hour manual tranny bounce". In stop and go, I try to keep enough distance from the car in front of me (even though rude drivers will cut in front) so that I can cruise in second. You may have to engage the clutch and let it roll a bit to keep from stalling, but stay in 2nd unless you dead stop.

A parting word of advice to Mr. "downshift into first": Even though you can run in first up to 45 mph (if you dare), you should **NEVER** go into first unless you're at a dead stop. If you're doing a rolling stop at a pointless stop sign, drop it in second, not first. You can start from a dead stop in second gear, so I dunno why you'd have to shift below 2nd to avoid running over the cat. And no, starting off in 2nd from a rolling stop won't flatten you into your seat, but you'll still leave that snotty teenager in his "sporty" economy car in the dust.

- Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-02-2004, 11:41 PM
35oZephyR

Originally posted by straderp
...or maybe the driver has to be broken in? <sly grin>

JUST KIDDING!

Hah Maybe...I wish I was THAT adaptive to all the mechanically trivial things in life. I think i'll give my Z the credit for this one.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:05 PM
dimitri

i have the same issue ,but i think the car is built this way.2004 s.s. track built 7/03
Old 03-04-2004, 09:34 AM
robcassell

haha i remember the first day i got my Z i could NOT find 6th gear to save my life, and 5th gear was hard to get into. I finally figured out i had to push the shifter down slightly..lol

Quick Reply: Notchy Shifting - 2004