Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bose Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 06:25 AM
principe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi, If I am not mistaken the 2001 MAxima also has a BOSE system with a asubwoofwe on the rear deck. My buddy has one and frankly I like the system in my 1996 maxima better.

I hope that the Z's system is better than the 2001 Maxima!
Old 05-03-2002, 08:01 PM
goofyZ

my wifes infiniti QX4 has a bose. By my non-audiophile ear it sounds fair. It is much better sounding the the stock system in my 328 BMW which is horrible. but my integra's system was better. I know names of the varius systems would help but as I said I'm no audiophile
Old 05-04-2002, 03:18 AM
rouxeny

The stereo in my dad's Nissan Maxima really isn't that bad. Agreed, it's not comparable to a Mark Levinson system in a Lexus, or to a high end BMW system, but it's pretty nice in it's own right.

Putting in a custom system isn't going to be my first priority.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:26 AM
kevintari

I have a Bose system on my '01 Audi A4. I love it, by far the best sound system I've had (not that I spend a lot of money on them, but for OEM it ROCKS)...
Old 05-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

My wife's Acura has a great sounding Bose system...with a nine-inch sub. Here is a pic of behind the seat I found of the touring model with a 10-inch sub....
http://www.350zfrenzy.com/images/for...0subwoofer.jpg

Still want to get a box for the trunk area for two 10s (under bar) with enough room to place some Nitrous.

Last edited by Rogue350z; 06-01-2002 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:17 AM
Zmeflyby

well..i'm one of the many music freakz. With my experience with bose..i think they sound good with home stereos, but when it comes to cars, i think bose is like the worst u can buy. but thats just me of course.
plus if one speaker goes out, then the other speakers will also. and they r so freakin expensive to fix.

~Andrew

this is one of the reasons i didnt get the tourin version
Old 05-04-2002, 01:09 PM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Good or bad, I have ordered the same car (but before LeManZ ) right down to the Nav system. Looks like Atlanta will have two of them driving around soon.

Regarding the sound system; I found after owning 25+ cars in my life that resale value is hurt my modifing a stock setup. That is, of course, unless the next buyer wants the exact same sound setup as you have.

So the Bose has to be 'better' than the other choice which is 'no Bose system'.

JMHO

Last edited by Z&Jet-Pilot; 05-04-2002 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:26 PM
D C

I've never owned a vehicle with a Bose system in it. But when I test drove the Acura TL Type S and the G35 last weekend, both had Bose systems. Me and the friend I went with both messed with the stereo quite a bit while the other was driving and they sounded good enough to me. I'll probably replace all the speakers anyway, just because i'm a perfectionist, lol.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:48 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... This thread hasn't been posted in for over a month. Wonder if anyone will see this. Oh well, I didn't want to create a new thread.

I don't know alot about stereo systems, and especially multi-CD units. But when I was checking out the Silverstone, a Nissan Corporate employee (who also had ordered a Silverstone), we discussed the stereo. I had noticed the cassette slot, and he confirmed that it comes with one (old discussion, I know). When I asked where do you put the 6 CD's (thinking a cartridge somewhere), he said you load all 6 CD's individually into the dash slot.

I've never heard of this. I know he wasn't trying to pull my leg; he beleives this to be the way it works. Maybe this is common, and I am just unaware. Maybe it is silly, and he is unaware.

If I was getting the 6 CD unit, I would do a web search to learn more, but since I'm not, I'll leave this for you guys to either dismiss as being impossible, or search to see if true, or ....
Old 06-13-2002, 09:04 AM
blackSunshine
Charter Member #84

I've had a small aiwa shelf system which works sorta in this way.... except you have to 'eject' to get the cartridge to put the cd in. It's going to be like a normal cd player, but there will be five storage slots along with the 'loaded' cd. To replace a cd with another, you have to load the one you want to take out, and then eject, then you can slide in the one you want. If there's no cd in a slot and you load it, the player will be empty.

IMO this is <b>much</b> better than a cartridge changer somewhere else in the car, or even in the dash. I've got a trunk changer now, and I end up leaving the same cds in my car for weeks, just because I think about changing them while driving, then by the time I get back home, I forget. My memory can be the sh*ts when it comes to little things though, so maybe it's just me. And there's no cartridges to fool around with.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:04 AM
BrianZ

My friend had very expensive Bose home speakers: SUCKED.
I had Bose stereo, speakers, sub in my Camaro: SUCKED.
I have Alpine in my BMW: GOOD but not great.

I have a home theater system with Denon & Vifa, I compared that to the most expensive Bose home theater system they make, and I cannot believe people will buy the Bose system. It is a lot of money for very bad sound. I think they get sucked into the marketing.

IMHO!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:11 AM
rouxeny

Yup, that's the way it works. One CD slot, 6 CD changer. You put in a CD at a time and the head unit holds them internally. The Acura CL-S has the same system, it's also a Bose system. Practically, it seems like a great solution, but if you get a CD stuck, then you've really got a problem. I'd love to see some internal schematics.

Audio systems are very objective things. It's possible to be objective and measure all the various numbers, but when it comes down to whether or not you like the sound, that's a tough thing to agree upon. I think that for listening to the radio, or to the average CD at average volumes, the Bose system will be fine. If you're into really loud music, or lots of bass, or are an audio perfectionist, the system may not work for you. I think in general, most of us will be satisfied.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:13 AM
raceboy
Banned

My I35 has the Bose and it's good enough. Honeslty, if the track model had the BOse I probably wouldn't upgrade it, but thank God it doesn't!! I am gonna go with a Pioneer DEH9400 head unit where the NAVI normally goes. I will leave the stock head unit in place for stealth. I am going with a JL 500/5 amo, Boston Prosereis 6.5 seperates in front and coaxials real, and the JL Stealthbox. Hopefully the Stealbox for the 350 sounds as good as the one in my friend's Z32. JL builds a few different grades of subs and the nice thing was the Stealthbox for the Z32 uses JL's 10W6 sub. Was their best sub until just a month or so ago.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:24 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by rouxeny

Audio systems are very objective things. It's possible to be objective and measure all the various numbers, but when it comes down to whether or not you like the sound, that's a tough thing to agree upon. I think that for listening to the radio, or to the average CD at average volumes, the Bose system will be fine. If you're into really loud music, or lots of bass, or are an audio perfectionist, the system may not work for you. I think in general, most of us will be satisfied.
Good recommendation. My advice:

TRUST YOUR EARS

Forget about what we all say, close your eyes, and listen.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:47 AM
chicago_z

im a sort of home-theater freak and the idea of a Bose setup in the car bothered me. Bose is lousy for home theater, but after some searching around the web, it is my understanding that they do a good job with car audio.

Of course there is always better. But personally *IF* I change the car audio in any way it will probably only be speakers. I can live with the head unit.

oh, and you do not have to eject anything to switch disks. The mechanism that I expect in the 240w bose unit at least, will be the feed load kind. One skinny slot that you just load the 6 cd's in one after the other. A very nice setup. But I *think* that it is a first in, last out situation. Meaning to remove the first disc you put in, you have to pop out the other 5.

But honestly I'm speculating based on a similar system I've seen in action before. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

Is it October yet? Can someone just wake me up in October? Or November if that is how it has to be.

Please don't snow the day I pick up my Z

Last edited by chicago_z; 06-13-2002 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:58 PM
ncrecordkeeper

I currently have a '93 lexus with nakamichi, which sounds pretty good to my ears. It has a 12" sub. I hope the Bose sounds good because I don't want to busy up the dash. But, if it sux, it's got to go.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Sabre

I currently have two 10" subs in my Legend. However, it doesn't look too promising that I will be able to put those in my Z. Do you think I should just sell the subs and get one 12"? I would like to see what other peoples' opinions are and what they are going to do.

Quick Reply: Bose Sound System