Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

? Why is NJ suing Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Melissa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a quote from the refered article proving leters were sent

Nissan said theft is a problem "in major metropolitan areas of New York and New Jersey." It said it began an anti-theft initiative last fall by sending letters to consumers in the Northeast, telling them they could bring their cars to a dealer to have a bracket installed, free of charge, to make the headlights more difficult to steal.

That was too little, too late, the state said.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by kcobean
Your arguments make no sense. If you want to draw a fair comparison, then do it:

If there is a rash of burglaries, is the manufacturer of your home legally obligated to contact you and tell you homes that they manufactured are being broken into? Don't think so. That's the job of law-enforcement. I'm sure NJ has lots of home burglaries, but you don't see them going after home or even window & door manufacturers, yet they could be found guilty of the same "offense".

I don't view NJ suing Nissan as "the gov't protecting us", or even forwarning us. If they wanted to forwarn the NJ citizens, then why didn't their police departments do their job and inform Maxima owners (which have all registered their vehicles with the state, so it's not like the state can't say it doesn't know who they are) that they are being targeted. It's the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure that they produce a safe, well-made product, not to inform them of trends going on in their particular geographic area. THAT is a function of local gov't, and they apparently failed to do it, so maybe Nissan should sue NJ for allowing so many of their headlights to be stolen, thus earning them bad press....slander is what they call it, isn't it?
People here who are making analogies to commonly stolen cars are missing the point. Analogies to stealing sneakers or Camrys are off-base. Toyota makes a good effort to prevent cars from being stolen but it happens anyway. Nikes aren't and cannot be designed to prevent theft. The point of the suit is whether or not Nissan made a reasonable effort to ensure the safety of the parts. And given the propensity for these headlights to be stolen, then did Nissan make a reasonable effort to tell its customers, who may not have necessarily known that HIDs are a target for theives?

Here's something more accurate: if you buy a Audi, and thieves find out the door lock can be fairly easily opened just by using a screwdriver, do you think that would be considered a design flaw? If Audi knew and sat on its hands for a while, would a suit then have merit?

Here's another one: the Ford Pinto's fuel tank had a propensity to explode if hit in an accident. Now, is it the fault of the NHTSA or the driver for not doing enough to prevent accidents if someone dies in an accident involving a Pinto? Did Ford make a reasonable effort to design a safe car, and if they did, and noted there was a defect, was there an acceptable effort to try and rectify the problem?

I'm not saying the suit is baseless; the question is to what extent a automaker can be held accountable to vulnerabilities in design, what is reasonable in terms of informing customers regarding security and implementing measures to prevent it. Some seem to believe an automaker's job is just to design a safe car that works reliably, and an alarm is a reasonable concession to security. Others would believe an automaker must make efforts to guard not only the entire car, but its components as well. That's what the courts will decide.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Traffic

Originally posted by Melissa
what the truth hurt?

you must be one of those dumbasses that support the law suit
Read my above comment and come up with an intelligent response. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Melissa

i guess everone else in the country should sue the state of newjersey for having the highest car theft problem in the country almost double than the next clasest state.....
its driving my car insurance prices up

yea whatever dude......

get a life

quit looking to blame others for theft.....thieves like nice things
Old 03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
350Zrunnin12s

NJ is a messed up state!!!!! Can't we be friends and leave it at that
Old 03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Traffic

i guess everone else in the country should sue the state of newjersey for having the highest car theft problem in the country almost double than the next clasest state.....
its driving my car insurance prices up

yea whatever dude......

get a life

quit looking to blame others for theft.....thieves like nice things
Still looking for an intelligent response.

Personally, I think sending a letter and having a bracket made available is enough of an effort to try and prevent theft.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Melissa

dood ...nissan sent letters....myself and 45999 others got them......

so there goes you arguement for nissan not doing anthing about it.....

come up with another bull reason
Old 03-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Traffic

dood ...nissan sent letters....myself and 45999 others got them......

so there goes you arguement for nissan not doing anthing about it.....

come up with another bull reason
I think you're just one step behind me.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Melissa

did you not read the article? here ya go incase you didnt

Nissan said theft is a problem "in major metropolitan areas of New York and New Jersey." It said it began an anti-theft initiative last fall by sending letters to consumers in the Northeast, telling them they could bring their cars to a dealer to have a bracket installed, free of charge, to make the headlights more difficult to steal.

get a life man
Old 03-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Melissa

anyhow it doesnt matter what you do to prevent theft of a car or part.....we have cars stolen with imobilizer systems and lojack everyday

wheels are stolen everyday......

it doesnt matter what you do it is still not going to prevent theft....

if they want it they are going to get it......

what more can you do?
nothing
Old 03-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Traffic

did you not read the article? here ya go incase you didnt

get a life man
I have one. I'm at work right now so I have nothing better to do than get paid to argue with you.

I already read the article too. Thanks

And I also just said I agree that Nissan did do enough to try and prevent HIDs from being stolen, so whatcha so annoyed about? If you really don't like me and what I have to say, put me on your ignore list. Click Control Panel at the upper right of the screen. It's in there.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Melissa

lol
im not annoyed
i can argue all day too...im getting paid as well to sit at home sick

i just think suits like this are rediculous.....

stuff happens

if the insrates dont go up for one thing it will be another....
Old 03-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Traffic

lol
im not annoyed
i can argue all day too...im getting paid as well to sit at home sick

i just think suits like this are rediculous.....

stuff happens

if the insrates dont go up for one thing it will be another....
Yeah I know. People sue for any and everything. I think the courts will shoot this one down though. It's the ones where individuals bring up suits, like the McDonald's Made Me Fat! ones, where juries decide, that annoy me.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:02 PM
DiRN

Just think, while you two are getting paid to argue, I'm get paid to sit here and watch you argue. Ain't life grand...
Old 03-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Traffic

Originally posted by DiRN
Just think, while you two are getting paid to argue, I'm get paid to sit here and watch you argue. Ain't life grand...
Although eventually it'll get subcontracted to a firm in India, where they will argue online for 1/10th of what we get paid. And they will claim they argue better than we do.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Traffic

Originally posted by DiRN
Although eventually it'll get outsourced to a firm in India, where they will argue online for 1/10th of what we get paid. And they will claim they argue better than we do.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:41 PM
DiRN

Originally posted by Daytona
Although eventually it'll get outsourced to a firm in India, where they will argue online for 1/10th of what we get paid. And they will claim they argue better than we do.
And I will get outsourced to a firm in India, where they will watch the people in India who replaced you argue for 1/10th of what we get paid. And they will claim they watch people argue better than I do.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Melissa

lol this is too much!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Them Bones

If I read all of this correctly, Nissan's only mistake was making a bracket to try to reduce the theft of headlights. Had they not made the bracket, there would be nothing to sue about.

Analogies to cars blowing up is beyond ignorant. Having a high theft headlight won't kill you.

The easiest way to get into a car is to break a side window. Why is it that only super expensive luxo brands have the solution to this obvious vulnerability? Shouldn't all cars be required to have break-proof side glass?

I'd rather not pay thousands more for a car because of a manufacturer's attempt to make it theft proof and idiot proof. Sure, insurance is a little more when things have a high theft rate, but that is a function of the environment in which the car lives. If it isn't headlights, it's hood ornaments or radar detectors. Maybe Nissan is developing a super anti-theft adhesive so a ricer can't de-badge your Z. I hope they plan on telling everyone about it!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:58 PM
ZPower

Originally posted by Daytona
Here's another one: the Ford Pinto's fuel tank had a propensity to explode if hit in an accident. Now, is it the fault of the NHTSA or the driver for not doing enough to prevent accidents if someone dies in an accident involving a Pinto? Did Ford make a reasonable effort to design a safe car, and if they did, and noted there was a defect, was there an acceptable effort to try and rectify the problem?
Good point, but not applicable. Your example directly endangers people, domestic animals and/or the environment (usually the top three concerns with safety). Stealing headlights and trends as such should be pinpointed by local law enforcement. If indeed it then becomes apparent that the headlights are too easily removed, and by making that process harder would or could lower crime rates in that area, law enforcement should contact Nissan and work together on a solution. But at no time should Nissan, or any other automaker out there be held responsible for their products being stolen. I liked the Camry analogy. Camry has been the No.1 most stolen car in this country for years. Should you sue Toyota? Why not? Wouldn't you agree that the danger of an entire car being stolen might endager the driver (human life) if the thief decides to carjack instead of the usual break-in? How likely is someone going to come up on you, while inside your Maxima, and proceed to steal your headlights? Realistically? This is one of the dumbest lawsuits I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: ? Why is NJ suing Nissan?