Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

? Why is NJ suing Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:12 AM
DavidD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? Why is NJ suing Nissan?

What is up with the lawsuit from the state of NJ against Nissan?
Something about headlights.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:57 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

What are you talking about? What lawsuit? Links?
Old 03-09-2004, 04:41 AM
LBSOHK

there was something in the news yesterday, some lady is suing NNA because her headlights were stolen from her maxima couple of times , few times she was " followed " by someone who wanted to steal the lights , and few times she was approached by some guy asking for her headlights... She's suing because supposedly Nissan was aware of the problem and even came out with an anti theft bracket for the lights but didn't inform the customers....

from what i know maxima headlights were very easy to steal , plus usually you ended up with damage to your hood , fenders and bumper...
Old 03-09-2004, 04:49 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, I get it. It is Nissan fault. Not the a$$holes that are actually stealing the lights themselves. Since this seems completely ridiculous, she will probably get 10 million dollars in damages, sell the Maxima and end up driving something alot more expensive. God bless America.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:20 AM
03 Z for ME

Default Re: ? Why is NJ suing Nissan?

Originally posted by DavidD
What is up with the lawsuit from the state of NJ against Nissan?
Something about headlights.
Because NEW JERSEY is STUPID.... End of Story...
Old 03-09-2004, 06:04 AM
NeoTetsuo

I saw it on problem solvers they got a letter from nissan saying that the head lights they had were being stolen on the regular. So they took their cars to get something done to their lights. Nissan kept the cars in a unsafe lot and that same night everyones lights were stolen and nissan didnt wanna pay em back.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bash NJ so quickly. NJ's attorney general is filing a suit, not an individual.

As many people know, the 2000-2002 Maximas were susceptible to headlight theft since they were pretty easy to steal. As most people DON'T know, Nissan provided an anti-theft bracket to dealerships that would prevent Maxima headlights from being stolen. Nissan never put the word out to the consumers that an anti-theft kit even existed. Dealers never let their customers know that they could purchase this bracket to prevent their lights from being stolen. Now, when someone's headlights get stolen, the insurance company pays for it. Replacement cost: $1200-1800. This cost gets passed through to the customer in the form of higher premiums. THAT is the basis for the lawsuit.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Melissa

Originally posted by Daytona
Don't bash NJ so quickly. NJ's attorney general is filing a suit, not an individual.

As many people know, the 2000-2002 Maximas were susceptible to headlight theft since they were pretty easy to steal. As most people DON'T know, Nissan provided an anti-theft bracket to dealerships that would prevent Maxima headlights from being stolen. Nissan never put the word out to the consumers that an anti-theft kit even existed. Dealers never let their customers know that they could purchase this bracket to prevent their lights from being stolen. Now, when someone's headlights get stolen, the insurance company pays for it. Replacement cost: $1200-1800. This cost gets passed through to the customer in the form of higher premiums. THAT is the basis for the lawsuit.
say what you want....the law suit is frivilous....funny thing was the lights only get stolen in jersy and newyork.....

no other areas have the problem......

and customers were sent letters all across america........i know this because i recieved a letter letting me know i could purchase the theft deterant kit.......the kit really doesnt help as they still steal them with the kit on the cars.....its not nissans fauld AT ALL

that would be like suing nike because somebody stole your shoes from you.........

say what you want but any state that would try to sue over something like this needs to be blown up with all of the asses that support the suit in it
Old 03-09-2004, 07:06 AM
kevp

....funny thing was the lights only get stolen in jersy and newyork.....

no other areas have the problem......

...say what you want but any state that would try to sue over something like this needs to be blown up with all of the asses that support the suit in it
wow. just wow.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:23 AM
aggie300zx

Here is a link to the article...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...al/8140166.htm
Old 03-09-2004, 08:09 AM
RAR

"..."We allege the company sold cars with these fancy lights, but kept consumers in the dark about how attractive the headlamps were to thieves," Erdos said. "Nissan's actions, or lack thereof, rendered consumers vulnerable to the criminals who targeted their vehicles." Nissan declined to comment on the lawsuit, but said in a statement that no manufacturer has done more to reduce xenon headlight theft... "

WTF???? Whats next a warning sticker saying "don't leave you cash on the sidewalk, money is attractive to thiefs." Or how about "Warning: Some one could steal your car, or parts of your car." No crap they are attractive, anything with resale value is attractive. This is up there w/ sueing mcdonalds for having hot coffee.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:02 AM
pices312

All I can say is most of these responses are like the ostrich with its head in the sand. Guess what, the "lion" can still see your *** sticking out.
Would you prefer the gov't not to protect us or at least make sure we are forewarned?? The old saying goes "... forewarned is forearmed.." Translation, if we know there's a problem we can take the necessary steps to protect ourselves.
What are you rocket scientists going to say when the insurance companies raise all of our rates because they have to recoup their losses?? "... they didn't steal my headlights why do I have to pay for their mistakes...?"
Maybe if there is a rash of burglaries in your neighborhood the police should keep the info to themselves?? That's what Nissan was doing by not informing customers of this problem with headlights being stolen!
Maybe the majority of you are stock holders in Nissan and want to protect their profits??
Old 03-09-2004, 09:05 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Melissa

say what you want but any state that would try to sue over something like this needs to be blown up with all of the asses that support the suit in it
Damn, you're ignorant.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:31 AM
toykilla

ok ok ok .. so its pretty damn easy to steal taillights off of pickup trucks.. pull the gate down .. remove 2 screws and be on your way...

whats the difference here?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:38 AM
RAR

Originally posted by pices312
All I can say is most of these responses are like the ostrich with its head in the sand. Guess what, the "lion" can still see your *** sticking out.
Would you prefer the gov't not to protect us or at least make sure we are forewarned?? The old saying goes "... forewarned is forearmed.." Translation, if we know there's a problem we can take the necessary steps to protect ourselves.
What are you rocket scientists going to say when the insurance companies raise all of our rates because they have to recoup their losses?? "... they didn't steal my headlights why do I have to pay for their mistakes...?"
Maybe if there is a rash of burglaries in your neighborhood the police should keep the info to themselves?? That's what Nissan was doing by not informing customers of this problem with headlights being stolen!
Maybe the majority of you are stock holders in Nissan and want to protect their profits??
I'd prefer that people get a little more common sense, maybe read a bit and find out that HID lights are very commonly stolen. I'd also prefer that nissan does not have to raise prices on cars because of lawsuits started by people who don't.

I guess we should sue toyota because the 1989 - 1993 Camry has been the most stolen car for the last few years i have been checking. Or how about sueing the purse maker with the most amount of purses stolen.

It is their fault that they are easy to steal, but they did make a bracket to fix it, and according to "Melissa" people where sent letters all over the US, he got a letter.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:41 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find any numbers to back this up, but I'll bet you there were as many Toyota Camry's stolen as there were Maxima headlamps. Did Toyota send letters to all of its customers informing them that there car was the top of the list for thieves? Doubt it....So where is the lawsuit for Toyota? Hell, those thieves got the whole damn car, not just the headlights.

This is pure crap, and is a perfect indicator that our society is headed straight for the toilet. Now the gov't is sue-happy....Stop the planet, I'm getting off.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:55 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by pices312
Your arguments make no sense. If you want to draw a fair comparison, then do it:

If there is a rash of burglaries, is the manufacturer of your home legally obligated to contact you and tell you homes that they manufactured are being broken into? Don't think so. That's the job of law-enforcement. I'm sure NJ has lots of home burglaries, but you don't see them going after home or even window & door manufacturers, yet they could be found guilty of the same "offense".

I don't view NJ suing Nissan as "the gov't protecting us", or even forwarning us. If they wanted to forwarn the NJ citizens, then why didn't their police departments do their job and inform Maxima owners (which have all registered their vehicles with the state, so it's not like the state can't say it doesn't know who they are) that they are being targeted. It's the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure that they produce a safe, well-made product, not to inform them of trends going on in their particular geographic area. THAT is a function of local gov't, and they apparently failed to do it, so maybe Nissan should sue NJ for allowing so many of their headlights to be stolen, thus earning them bad press....slander is what they call it, isn't it?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 AM
pices312

I guess we can agree to disagree??
Old 03-09-2004, 10:26 AM
samw1978

thinking about suing Honda too... cause they made the car so attractive to thieves and Honda didn't warn us about it!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Melissa

Originally posted by Daytona
Damn, you're ignorant.
what the truth hurt?

you must be one of those dumbasses that support the law suit

Quick Reply: ? Why is NJ suing Nissan?