Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Umpteenth Leather Seat thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Ronny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Umpteenth Leather Seat thread

Of the 3,845 threads on the subject of leather seats, I found no good info on DIY installation. Sorry.

Of those who have installed their own leather seats, what brand did you install and how difficult was it? Would you do it again? I'm guessing that installers will charge about $200-250. Was saving that much worth it?

Mine has manual, non-airbag seats. Can someone with half a brain get it done OK?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:18 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't say that I remember seeing anyone post that they bought leather seats and installed them by themselves. I believe there have been a few cases when members bought someone elses complete seats, not just leather covers.

I, like a number of others have bought aftermarket seats and have them installed by the certified installer. I got the Classic Soft Trim which is the official aftermarket leather for Nissan.

I can tell you that it took them about 4 hours. If you consider that they have the experience and the tools, it would probably take you twice as long. Not sure what the labor alone costs since you pay a price for the CST including installation by the authorized installer. All things considered, I'd go with that rather than trying to buy leather covers and install them yourself.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Ronny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DavesZ#3
I can't say that I remember seeing anyone post that they bought leather seats and installed them by themselves. I believe there have been a few cases when members bought someone elses complete seats, not just leather covers.

I, like a number of others have bought aftermarket seats and have them installed by the certified installer. I got the Classic Soft Trim which is the official aftermarket leather for Nissan.

I can tell you that it took them about 4 hours. If you consider that they have the experience and the tools, it would probably take you twice as long. Not sure what the labor alone costs since you pay a price for the CST including installation by the authorized installer. All things considered, I'd go with that rather than trying to buy leather covers and install them yourself.
Thanks, DavesZ#3. That pretty much the conclusion I had arrived at. lt's just hard for me to pay someone for something I can do myself. I just have to convince myself I can't do it; at least not properly.

I kind of got hung up on this when I saw a show on Spike TV, either Horsepower TV or Trucks, where the guy made an install. Pretty amazing; only took him about 30 seconds. Anyway, he commented on how simple it really was. Of course, if I had his garage, tools, etc., I might think it was simple, too.

Well, I guess I'll bite the bullet and get our economy rolling again.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:26 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yea, I've been watching too much Spike TV too. They make everything look way to easy.