Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dump Trucks Should Be Banned...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:29 PM
NISMO_GUY2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dump Trucks Should Be Banned...

With temperatures forcast near 50 degrees today, I decided to take the Z to work instead of my daily driver. I had just made a left onto a busy road with 2 lanes going each direction.

Traffic was moving at about 50 mph and I was maybe doing 60. I spotted two large dump trucks a couple of hundred feet ahead of me in the right lane, so I moved to the left lane, thinking that if they were hauling gravel or dirt, I did not want to be directly behind the dump trucks.

Wouldn't you just know it... The closest dump truck hits a pothole and all of a sudden I am confronted by 5 to 10 gravel rocks bouncing on the roadway right for my Z.

I managed to swerve and all but about two of the flying projectiles missed my car. One rock hit but seems to have left no mark, but the other one hit the front section of my hood and looks like it took off some paint.

I'll have to wash and wax the Z this weekend to get a better look at the damage but I'm hoping a little touch up paint will do the trick.

What ticks me off most is the fact that I only have 850 miles on the car and it has it's first paint chip already! And it could be avoided if these damn dump truck drivers used covers on their beds and made sure there was no loose gravel anywhere on their truck.

I wonder how they'd like it if someone tossed a rock in front of them when they were driving down the road in their dump truck...
Old 03-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Bertg

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe it's time to get a clear bra.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:30 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Dump Trucks Should Be Banned...

Is 'Dump Trucks' a member of this forum?

Sorry to hear that man, but it's like Murphy's Law, right? The day you chose to leave the DD is the day something happens... now if you took out the DD as you typically would, nothing would've happened with the dump truck. Oh well, c'est la vie
Old 03-10-2004, 08:32 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fking dump trucks are my mortal enemies
Old 03-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Elronn

That sucks man..I hope you get it out with wax....I hope when I get my Z in a few weeks that something like that does not happen to me..
Old 03-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Rushguy

Jeez dude sorry man, I just mentioned these damn trucks in another thread not 10 minutes ago. I see them on the hwy and I either stay back a mile or get 2 lanes over and fly by at warp speed.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Fear Night

They go 40 under the speed limit (even if the speed limit is 35, go figure) and they throw debris at cars ... dam things.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:38 AM
ZNUTS

If the police gave tickets maybe the driver's would clear debris from the gate area before leaving a site.I was cruising top down enjoying a nice day when a truck cut in front of me and popped the rolled up cover and sent rocks and dirt flying.I pulled along side him got eye contact, he could care less just laughed and kept going.I did get the tag and called the owner and told him how his driver was treating his equipment.His reply was of little comfort; I'll talk to him,right!People are jealous of any one with anything nice,all you can do is be careful out there,and drive safely.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:56 AM
seanazzy

at least when it comes OUT of the truck you can get a license/truck number and phone number and normally get a repair by them...the worst is when they say it was empty and just kicked up from the tire/ground and they can't do anything about it!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:54 AM
BigBadBuford

A while back when I was driving my '86 GTI that I had just washed and waxed I got behind a dump truck pulling onto the highway. About a mile down the road his gas cap flies off almost hitting my car and then my car starts getting showered with diesel. It took me forever to wash that off, the fuel would just kill and suds and it made my car stink for months...
Old 03-11-2004, 05:23 AM
MrNicholas

Here in NC dump trucks are required to cover their backs. I had a friend of a friend whose Z3 was hit by debris. He just took down the license plate number and called the cops when he got to work.

They located the company that owned the truck and a few phone calls later his paint-fix-up-bill was being covered 100% by the company.

I guess it's too late for that to help you, eh N-guy?
Old 03-11-2004, 03:51 PM
JonsilvZ

I try to stay away from those damn trucks. I always look ahead and see if there up the road. SUVs suck too, kick up alot of ****.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:32 PM
robcassell

dump trucks should only be allowed out at night
Old 03-11-2004, 07:13 PM
NISMO_GUY2003

Originally posted by MrNicholas
Here in NC dump trucks are required to cover their backs. I had a friend of a friend whose Z3 was hit by debris. He just took down the license plate number and called the cops when he got to work.

They located the company that owned the truck and a few phone calls later his paint-fix-up-bill was being covered 100% by the company.

I guess it's too late for that to help you, eh N-guy?
I thought dump trucks were supposed to be covered here in Illinois too. Problem is, I think this truck was either "empty" or had a light load so the driver didn't have the cover on. It seemed so by how fast the truck was going. Anyway, alot of times it's these supposedly "empty" dump trucks with loose gravel or dirt sitting on the apron of the truck that does the most damage. One bump and it dislodges the gravel...

Oh well, a clear bra was on my list of things to get this spring-- I just might have to do it sooner than later.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

thta totally sux0rs!

I dont know where it came from.. but something chipped my windshiled last night...

I think it was a "stress crack" cugh caugh
Old 03-12-2004, 04:06 AM
sparkman

A car kicked up a rock on me two days ago.. It was like slow motion, I could see it coming towards the car, and then CRACK! right against the windshield. Left two small chip marks near the top, right in front of the driver.

In a way, I was relieved because it didn't hit the paint, but I'm still pissed about the chips. I'd get it fixed, but I think the patch jobs that the Insurance co. will want to do impair the field of vision. There tiny, so I think I'll leave it go until it starts to spread.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:07 AM
DruDragzOn

Man that's rough! Hope the damage isn't so bad.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:47 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
thta totally sux0rs!

I dont know where it came from.. but something chipped my windshiled last night...

I think it was a "stress crack" cugh caugh
Haha, maybe if you take it into Performance Nissan they will fix it under warranty.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:25 PM
nissan200sx

Default Ticketed

It was years ago and not even in a car that I owned but I was not about to be sand-blasted by a careless dumptruck. I made an aggressive move to pass and was immediately spotted by a Maryland State Trooper and cited for speeding and almost charged for reckless driving. That fact that the dump truck was spilling stones did not matter.

Pass without drawing too much attention. Less stones will hit if you pass in the leftmost lane when the highway bends to the left.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:14 PM
babi350zgurl

Quick Reply: Dump Trucks Should Be Banned...