Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Wedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?

In a lot of areas (more to come), police are using automated cameras to take a picture of your license plate once radar shows you are speeding. Some cameras are set at intersections to catch people going through red lights, etc. You don't even know you were caught until you get a ticket in the mail.

I saw a link to this stuff called "Photo Blocker" on another car site. Have any of you ever purchased this product?

http://www.phantomplate.com/photoblocker.html

They have some video of it being tested by different news programs.........it looks like it may work.

Don't know if this is a repost or not. I did a search for Photo Blocker and didn't come up with any previous threads.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:16 AM
350black

think i am going to order me some of that spray. I bet that I can go through the toll both without being caught.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:17 AM
robcassell

looks kinda expensive
Old 03-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Boiler

As far I know none of them work and would be illegal if they did.

I guess you are referring to GATSO cameras, a very major money earner in the UK. I have seen them or something very similar in Boulder, CO. There is another type that uses a loop in the road to measure speed.

As far as I am aware the best detection systems are GPS based with the cameras locations mapped in. But there are also portable cameras to contend with.

The really nasty new ones read your number plate as you pass and then at a further point down the road when you have speeded up and think you are safe and take the average. No flash. Fortunately these are quite expensive.

Be afraid, very afraid...
Old 03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
R.J._Vancouver

Dude, Go to a hardware store and buy a can of $10 clear coat and spray your front and rear plate with that. Cheaper, and I know it works. We used to have photo radar here in Vancouver, but when the new provincial government came in, they cancelled the program.
I had an AWD Talon Tsi at the time, I clear coated the plates went by the van, the camera flash went off, I didnt get anything in the mail.
If you want to prove it first, clear coat the plates, then take a pic with a digital camera about the same distance as the photocop would be away. You`ll just see a white sqaure.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:14 PM
superstuddc27

actually it's been used for close to over a year here in LA. even in this small city of Cerritos, there are camera (totally visible) at the intersections. me and my friends know where they are so we're careful not to run reds, or do something stupid. usually the way you can tell, is that if you do something and you see a flash, you got caught. after 2 weeks or so, they'll send you a ticket in the mail with your picture and your license plate picture as well.. advice: just know where they are and watch out.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Wedge

Thanks for all the input.......good ideas. I was just curious about the stuff........and after I watched the clips they had on their site (of the news reports), it looked like it might work.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a scam... who cares if it "reflects" light... whoopdy do. give it a lil wax and it will do that... besides, the posted before/after picture is BS. its photoshopped. the after photo has a white box over the license plate. if this doesnt show up go and look at the site. you'll see what i'm talking about.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:59 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:11 AM
desiZ

This is not a photochop, i bought that a month ago and sprayed mine & my friends car... here are two pics i took after applying it... the first pic is my car, the second pic is of my friends car and u can see another car next to it, whose plates can easily be read...
Attached Thumbnails Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?-plate008.jpg   Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?-plate009.jpg  
Old 03-17-2005, 11:14 AM
desiZ

Originally Posted by Acree
its a scam... who cares if it "reflects" light... whoopdy do. give it a lil wax and it will do that... besides, the posted before/after picture is BS. its photoshopped. the after photo has a white box over the license plate. if this doesnt show up go and look at the site. you'll see what i'm talking about.
its not a scam, if u spent more than 1 minute looking at their website u will see there is video of a tv-spot on fox news which shows a video clip of them testing it out... unless u know how to photochop a video... duh..
Old 03-17-2005, 11:15 AM
desiZ

Originally Posted by robcassell
looks kinda expensive
what i did was, sprayed my friend's plates at 2 bucks a pop... i still have some left and it has cost me effectively 8 bucks...
Old 03-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Destiny350Z

If they send you a pic of you running a light send them a pic of some money!!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:57 AM
agent_smith

Guys I work at an engineering firm that helps to design systems for uses like this. They are real, and the claims that a product could "hide" a plate are false. There is no way to hide from these cameras if they are properly maintained. For the most part the cameras are image recognition based on plate numbers and usual claims are in the realm of 85-90% computer accuracy, with human intervention bringing it to 99%. The superior systems don't even rely on traditional cameras photos. Those systems are pattern recognition systems and those simply shoot areas of cars and compare pixels and nab the offender via additional photography. There are even further developed systems that do not take instantaneous speed, but rather via time over distance and if your average speed exceeds the predefined threshold then you are issued a ticket. Save yourselves the money and put it toward a V1 if anything.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i got a ticket from a speed camera while in new zealand. lucky for me the ticket was issued to my dad since the rental car was in his name .
Old 03-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Chicken

Just FYI, in case you didn't know, I got nabbed by one of those red light cams in Inglewood, CA (have a nice page with phots of myself that they mailed). Ticket was $341 for me missing the light by 0.35 seconds. That's about $10 per 1/100th of a second. Ohhh and I fought that beeyatch... and won. They sent the money back.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:56 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

what was your defense ?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Masterfulks

How can they know who was driving the car?

What if you let your friend drive and he racks up a bunch of tickets?

Sounds like reasonable doubt to me...
Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 PM
desiZ

Originally Posted by Masterfulks
How can they know who was driving the car?

What if you let your friend drive and he racks up a bunch of tickets?

Sounds like reasonable doubt to me...
Nope doesn't work.. here's why, when i went to driving school the instructor there told us of the exact same thing, some guy got a ticket in the mail which was printed on fax-like paper... he looked at the photo and noticed that the front shot was not clear enough to prove it was him 100%. so he challenged the ticket in court. Court day arrives and he shows the fax-like ticket to the judge saying "this is not me". to that, he gets shown a 8x10 full color blowup of his face .... owned...
Old 03-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dezi I fought and won in South Gate for this type of citation. The Deputy had a laptop with a film of my car and I said that was not me. I also told the Judge I have 3 roommates and anyone could be driving the car. The Judge asked the Deputy if he had a clear site of my mug and he said it was hard to tell.....I got it dismissed walked out and a return check in the mail. The fine was 321 dollars.....Ouch

Quick Reply: Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?