Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 PM
fiddyBOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got caught by the camera... DAMN IT. I swear that one light changed from yellow to red really freaking fast.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Chicken

Originally Posted by Masterfulks
How can they know who was driving the car?

What if you let your friend drive and he racks up a bunch of tickets?

Sounds like reasonable doubt to me...
As was said, the picture of you makes that a tough defense.
Originally Posted by 35ounces
what was your defense ?
I've included the TBD and a few photos. There were some photos mentioned in the TBD that you can't see, those were on the original paper they mailed to me. Chances are, your photos look like mine did:

A bird's eye view of the intersection showing your car right at the line, with the light red, and another showing your car in the intersection. *You* did NOT have this view of the intersection. If you did, it would have been easier to see the line. Go back and take pictures of the intersection with the view that you had. Note if the line is clearly pained or if it was nearly faded like mine was. Take a picture with other cars going through the intersection (obstructing your view of the line), etc.

Worked for me...
Attached Thumbnails Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?-photo-a-medium-.jpg   Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?-ticket2.jpg   Ever Get Caught by Photo Radar?-photo-b-medium-.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Regarding Citation generic.doc (22.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Chicken

Note that the bird's eye view ticket camera angle is actually the *second light* in the other pictures. You can see how the view of the redlight camera is much clearer than what I could actually see.

Also, visit http://www.highwayrobbery.net - as the owner of that site has many cams listed and information that is useful. he will also review your case and offer advice if you follow the directions on the site.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:09 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Decent, glad to hear it worked for you.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:12 AM
mrbader

I'm a distributor for this Spray... I sell them cheaper than they do on the website... $25 bucks a can includes shipping... I have it on my car as I've been caught 3x already. What this spray does is over expose the license plate so that you can't get the ticket in the mail.

Anyone interested let me know...
Old 03-18-2005, 06:23 AM
mrbader

Default it works... it really really works

This pic may be photo shopped... however I do sell this product at my shop and have it on my car... I took a pic of it with a standard digital camera and it does work. It over exposed the pic. Plus it last wash after wash... not like wax. Trust me... it's worth the $25 bucks for preventative medicine.

This is the pic of my actual license plate photofended.

Originally Posted by Acree
its a scam... who cares if it "reflects" light... whoopdy do. give it a lil wax and it will do that... besides, the posted before/after picture is BS. its photoshopped. the after photo has a white box over the license plate. if this doesnt show up go and look at the site. you'll see what i'm talking about.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:04 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Destiny350Z
If they send you a pic of you running a light send them a pic of some money!!
Yes, and then they send you a picture of an arrest warrant... hehe that one has been tried.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:54 AM
desiZ

Originally Posted by skar 718
Dezi I fought and won in South Gate for this type of citation. The Deputy had a laptop with a film of my car and I said that was not me. I also told the Judge I have 3 roommates and anyone could be driving the car. The Judge asked the Deputy if he had a clear site of my mug and he said it was hard to tell.....I got it dismissed walked out and a return check in the mail. The fine was 321 dollars.....Ouch
sweet... yeah i sprayed my plate with the blocker real well !!! haha.. hey i have some left... if anyone is interested i'll bring it with me to the LA meet this weekend... 2 bucks... haha ..
Old 03-18-2005, 08:17 AM
AdamDC

It's a scam, I used it on my Tahoe and got nailed on a red light camera. I ordered it out of the back of road and track. Luckily the ticket only cost me $75 and no points.

The principle is that it will reflect too much light when the flash goes off. Many of these cameras are not using a flash, especially the ones on red lights or during the day. With digital camera technology right now they don't need to use a flash.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:26 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just what we need - a way to run red lights and not get caught, other than being t-boned by another car. For speed i could understand, and I floor it through yellows all the time, but only on roads I travel on regularly, as its a good way to hit someone who was waiting to turn left. I only do it if I know there is a separate left turn only arrrow light for the oncoming traffic.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:13 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by desiZ
unless u know how to photochop a video... duh..
it's called tracking or a moving track matte and it's a technique used in just about every movie/show with special effects.

I can "photoshop" any video to brighten a license plate in motion with not much effort. Just need some decent compositing software or worse case scenerio break the video out into deinterlaced frames, photoshop them, then reinterlace them back into a video.

Last edited by sentry65; 03-18-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Chicken

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Just what we need - a way to run red lights and not get caught, other than being t-boned by another car. For speed i could understand, and I floor it through yellows all the time, but only on roads I travel on regularly, as its a good way to hit someone who was waiting to turn left. I only do it if I know there is a separate left turn only arrrow light for the oncoming traffic.
Running red lights and not getting caught is NOT the issue. The issue is that sometimes you are traveling on a road and the light turns yellow at a particular time that makes you question whether you should try to stop or just go through the intersection. The light I posted (set of two actually) causes this more than other lights because you wouldn't think of stopping for the first yellow (just as you don't stop at many yellows). You have plenty of time. It's the second yellow they have the red-light camera on, and I'm willing to bet that if it was on the first one, there wouldn't be 1/50th the amount of tickets.

Point is, you misjudge the length of the yellow. This could be because of exactly when it changed (and your speed and proximity to the light), and the length of the yellow (which is NOT standard, nor is there any law governing it). Put another way, if you put a red light cam on a 45 mph road and set the yellow to 3 seconds, that cam will pump out tickets all day long.

I don't condone running red lights, and I'm good about stopping at yellows, but from time to time, you will misjudge the length of the yellow by 0.30 of a second, and the result will be a $341 fine. Some cams don't even give you a grace period, or the grace period is less than 0.3 seconds. That's ridiculous IMHO, and there's only one reason for it, and it's not to save people from getting into accidents.

Imagine getting a $341 ticket for going 35.35 mph in a 35 mph zone. I don't condone speeding either, but there's a point where it's just ridiculous.

Last edited by Chicken; 03-18-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:26 PM
desiZ

Originally Posted by sentry65
it's called tracking or a moving track matte and it's a technique used in just about every movie/show with special effects.

I can "photoshop" any video to brighten a license plate in motion with not much effort. Just need some decent compositing software or worse case scenerio break the video out into deinterlaced frames, photoshop them, then reinterlace them back into a video.
yes i know that duh.. i have a masters in CS multimedia technologies so i'm not talking out of my @ss... if u read the whole thing... sigh... why would a tv station doctor an investigative report... duh
Old 03-18-2005, 05:04 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally Posted by Chicken
Running red lights and not getting caught is NOT the issue. The issue is that sometimes you are traveling on a road and the light turns yellow at a particular time that makes you question whether you should try to stop or just go through the intersection. The light I posted (set of two actually) causes this more than other lights because you wouldn't think of stopping for the first yellow (just as you don't stop at many yellows). You have plenty of time. It's the second yellow they have the red-light camera on, and I'm willing to bet that if it was on the first one, there wouldn't be 1/50th the amount of tickets.

Point is, you misjudge the length of the yellow. This could be because of exactly when it changed (and your speed and proximity to the light), and the length of the yellow (which is NOT standard, nor is there any law governing it). Put another way, if you put a red light cam on a 45 mph road and set the yellow to 3 seconds, that cam will pump out tickets all day long.

I don't condone running red lights, and I'm good about stopping at yellows, but from time to time, you will misjudge the length of the yellow by 0.30 of a second, and the result will be a $341 fine. Some cams don't even give you a grace period, or the grace period is less than 0.3 seconds. That's ridiculous IMHO, and there's only one reason for it, and it's not to save people from getting into accidents.

Imagine getting a $341 ticket for going 35.35 mph in a 35 mph zone. I don't condone speeding either, but there's a point where it's just ridiculous.
I agree with the yellow timing issues. IMO it's a great way for the state to make money. I give the government props for figuring out new ways to get the coffers up.

So far the best way I found for defeating those nasty photo machines is to use no plates at all. Just get one of the dealership advertisement plate with holders, and pretend its a new car.

I'm not sure if wearing a baseball cap helps shield the face though.

Last edited by FLZ_Boy; 03-18-2005 at 05:07 PM.