Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 06:54 AM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinetix. Personal preference really.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:21 AM
orhanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

craford is pricey, but i can see where the money goes... i wonder how much it cost to make a kinetix plenum...? with that said, when i get a plenum, i'll probably go w/ kinetix cause you can keep the strut and core w/out losing a few hudred dollars, and suppposedly have the same gains... i also heard the kinetix plenum doesn't absorb heat
Old 03-12-2004, 10:45 AM
lowrider

Crawford - All the way. No Cracks, No Leaks, No Flex, No rework, No issues at all. And the thing comes with instructions. It just makes power. IMO, to buy anything else is false economy.

THE ORIGINAL IS STILL THE BEST!

Lou
Attached Thumbnails POLL: Crawford VS. Kinetix plenum-plenum-02.jpg  

Last edited by lowrider; 03-12-2004 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by lowrider
Crawford - All the way. No Cracks, No Leaks, No Flex, No rework, No issues at all. And the thing comes with instructions. It just makes power. IMO, to buy anything else is false economy.

Lou
No rework? didn't you have to modify your engine cover to make it fit with the Crawford Plenum?

I chose Kinetix, because I want to spend the least amount of money to get the best result. Since dyno show both plenum are neck / neck, then it's obvious choice to pick Kinetix.

Also, lifetime warranty helped too
Old 03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
ajk4

Lou
none of these points are still issues with the kinetix. also, isnt crawford on its fifth version, i mean whats wrong with reworking the piece?
Old 03-12-2004, 01:32 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Cracks and leaks? Get over it, that's old news. Doesn't happen anymore.

I commend doug for bringing a tested product to the community that has had no faults. It definitely works great and the new v5 looks sweet.

However, I applaud kinetix for involving the community in the initial development of this plenum and providing realtime support on all issues including a FREE upgrade to a new updated version with fast turnaround for those with the initial batch that want it. Wonder how many crawford users are stuck with the ugly jagged turbulent v1, that have to pay more to get the one with smooth flowing interior.

For me, price & no-hassle (strut bar replacements, core swaps). Not to mention no more intake heatsoak issues that Z's are notorious for. After driving 60 miles on a 90+ degree day here in Cali, my plenum was barely even warm. Yet the stock plenum & crawford after some dyno pulls were hot enough to scramble eggs on. This absolutely makes a difference if you know anything about intake air density.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:17 PM
zzzya

Crawford, The replacement strut bar looks nicer and performs better than the stock one. In my opinion even the original version of the Crawford looks better than the Kinetix and with the newer versions, built only to improve looks not performance issues, the looks are stunning with either the polished finish, black powdercoat or normal powdercoat. The Crawford is more expensive in the end but you get what you pay for. The Crawford has also been proven for FI cars. Some people will pay the dough and others will not. I tend to spend the extra money for a little piece of mind.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:26 PM
ronald_m

HAHHAHA.Love your OWN.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:39 PM
daytona350zr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by zxsaint

However, I applaud kinetix for involving the community in the initial development of this plenum and providing realtime support on all issues including a FREE upgrade to a new updated version with fast turnaround for those with the initial batch that want it. Wonder how many crawford users are stuck with the ugly jagged turbulent v1, that have to pay more to get the one with smooth flowing interior.

The only reason you getting a "upgrade" is because your fixing a DEFECT in the current unit. I'm sure if the plasctic plenum was redesigned to just look better or be smoother you wouldn't get this so called upgrade free of charge. Secondly if the crawford unit was defective you can be sure doug would "upgrade" you to a problem free version free of charge too. So comparing the two the way you are is unfair. If you buy something thats defective who wouldn't replace it for free??? One is a defective replacment the other is a cosmetic upgrade.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:09 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by zxsaint
Wonder how many crawford users are stuck with the ugly jagged turbulent v1, that have to pay more to get the one with smooth flowing interior.
To chime in... let me point out I'm STILL running prototype number 02. Flowrating as high as ANY version 5... The interior has NEVER changed.

Seriously Westpak... you tend to provide VALUABLE information the majority of the time.

This comment you're making is just silly.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:22 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I think you meant me not westpak.

The first production versions seemed to be cut open and then had a big sheet welded on. As you can see the pic, along the corners theres a bunch of angles as well as a steep cut in the middle. I may be wrong but Isn't the inside of the v5 all smoothed out now (like the stock plenum was). It only seems like this is an improvement in flow characteristics -- hence the reason theres less "woo" as you guys put it.

If the underside of the plenum hasn't been changed/updated -- I'm mistaken then.

Image courtesy of 12SecZ's site:

Last edited by zxsaint; 03-12-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:10 AM
PhoenixINX

Correction noted...

Sleep deprevation to blame.

The dip wouldn't cause enough turbulance to effect anything...

Honestly those three foward posts may cause more than a dip.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:18 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Correction noted...

Sleep deprevation to blame.

The dip wouldn't cause enough turbulance to effect anything...

Honestly those three foward posts may cause more than a dip.
Interesting a dip in the Crawford wouldn't affect anything but a TINY dip in the Kinetix will cause massive losses in HP. You Crawford guys need to get your stories straight.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:24 PM
silver&black03
Banned

can someone please post a website where i can get the kinetix? thanks.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:26 PM
FLY BY Z

www.kinetixracing.com
Old 03-13-2004, 01:06 PM
silver&black03
Banned

thanks
Old 03-13-2004, 01:18 PM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by silver&black03
can someone please post a website where i can get the kinetix? thanks.
Kinetix is a my350Z.com sponsor. You can also go to the "sponsor" list and click on Kinetix.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:14 PM
pricanz

Thumbs down 2 cracked kinetik plenums!!

I had the version 1 ad installed it myself and it cracked around one of the bolts, wrote them & they send me a version 2 and the holes did not line up too good and the thing cracked apliying the recommended torque on the last bolt
this happen on saturday 20th 2004 and wrote the kinetik guys that night. six hours later I have two cracked plenums on my dinning room table and the stock plenum on the car
***I'm still waiting for the reply from kinetik racing***
Old 03-24-2004, 03:59 PM
nastyZ

Personally,

I went with Crawford because:

-You can always use the plastic engine cover with minor modification

-The plenum can be polished at your expense

-I had my plenum polished INSIDE AND OUT for an added smooth touch.

I can't say too much about horse power gains, as I haven't dynoed either one on the same car.

Here's an example of my plenum:

And last but not least, would the plastic plenum hold up to lets say.... a large nitrous feed, or high boost (turbo/super charger)? I know that was a concerned when I got my car juiced, didn't want to be like The Fast and Furious..... "you blew the welds of your intake plenum"
Old 03-25-2004, 12:45 PM
ChrisMCagle

Crawford - All the way. No Cracks, No Leaks, No Flex, No rework, No issues at all. And the thing comes with instructions.
Did someone say... INSTRUCTIONS?

-Chris

Quick Reply: POLL: Crawford VS. Kinetix plenum