Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

POLL: Crawford VS. Kinetix plenum

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 06:54 PM
LOU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: Crawford VS. Kinetix plenum

Which plenum do you like better and why?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:05 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crawford, simply cause it has no problems since it initial release. Just my 2 cents.

I could careless about looks. The strut bar was replaced with a Crawford strut bar so that wasn't a problem either.

And if you really care about looks then there's the Crawford BLING BLING plenum which is very nice but also pricy.

Victor
Old 03-11-2004, 07:21 PM
2003z

I really loved my crawford, but I just replaced it with a stillen plenum. The stillen plenum comes with a supercharger attached to the cover

As for the strut bar, if you look at the pictures of the totalled Crawford Z, the only thing not bent on the entire car was the strut bar!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:23 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I have to say the Kinetix, the problems were minimal and hopefully longevity will not be an issue.

I just had to have a nice looking engine bay and the Crawford with their strut bar just didn't do it for me.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Peteman

Kinetix simply because of price. Plus, you can't beat not having to spend another $200 on a new strut bar.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:31 PM
SungNamZ

If Kinetix had not introduced their plenum, changing plenums would not have been on my list of modifications. It looks good, allows you to maintain your OEM strut and engine cover, plus performance is outstanding. I have one of the initial plenums and have experienced NO problems from the moment it was removed from the box.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:36 PM
zeroday

for my own peace of mind; crawford. tried and tested. not a single occurrence of catastrophic engine failure diue to their product (i.e plenum pieces getting sucked into the intake). they pioneered the 'performance' plenum for the Z, offered a great reliable product for a great price, offered STELLAR customer service and have earned my loyalty. the kinetix has already had cracking issues on installation...not interested risking plastic gettimg sucked into my engine when it seems to have no real performance benefit over the aluminum plenum. the 'heatsoak' issue with a metal intake is clearly overstated.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:46 PM
wren57
Banned

Kinetix: keep the core, keep the strut bar, keep the engine cover, keep the good looks, and most importantly, keep all the gains.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:55 PM
2003z

notwithstanding my above remarks, I plan on getting the kinetix cats
Old 03-11-2004, 07:56 PM
daytona350zr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crawford all the way. IMO it (version 5) looks way better then the plastic plenum with the large words on the cover. Also I love the way the crawford strut bar looks. However the main reason is because with the Crawford you are sure you'll have ZERO issues and with the plastic one you gotta take a gamble. I'm not willing to be the "test subject" for anyone's new development.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:33 PM
joust75

Kinetix.
Keep stock strut bar, no core charge, cheaper, lighter, equally great gains if not better and reported great customer service.'

Not only that, but the cracking issue is solved for all future models. Plus they are offering a great package deal. hf cats and plenum, here I come!
Old 03-12-2004, 04:19 AM
ronald_m

Kinetix simply because you can keep your oem plenum, strut bar,engine cover, No core charge.Plus the cracking issue is already solved.The price is much better with HP gain.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:38 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Crawford . . .LoL. No particular reason.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:41 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a funny thread... I think anyone here is going to be biased toward what they have bought. Why? Because they likely have already compared these plenums and, in their mind, bought (or chose to stay with) the plenum they think is better overall.

No doubt, they are both good pieces and from what I have seen thus far produce similar power gains, but I'll stick with the Crawford camp...

Kinetix: keep the core, keep the strut bar, keep the engine cover, keep the good looks, and most importantly, keep all the gains.
1. What do I need the core for once I have the new plenum???
2. I have a strut bar that I bought with the Crawford plenum. This becomes a cost issue, but I think the Crawford bar looks much better than the stock strut bar anyway. Still, I think there's something to be said for having the option to chose instead of having to buy the strut bar
3. Keep the engine cover? Why??? IMO, it looks pretty cheap anyway. Would rather show off the sheer mechanical wonder of the motor... and that means metal!
4. Keep the looks... yeah, I have to go with the Kinetix people on this one if you are comparing to the original Crawford, but if you are comparing to Version 5 or the polished plenum, the Kinetix looks cheap in comparison (just my opinion).

Besides, the Kinetix wouldn't have matched my polished engine compartment motif.
Attached Thumbnails POLL: Crawford VS. Kinetix plenum-sm0923.jpg  
Old 03-12-2004, 05:49 AM
ajk4

with the kinetix i've noticed that my intake tube doesn't get as hot. i think that a majority of the heat that is produced in the upper plenum/tb/intake is eliminated through the use of a composite plenum, instead of a metal one. of course there are two camps; one says lowering intake temps is useless because they are never their long enough to absorb the heat, and the other camp says that it does matter. also, there is only one advantage to the crawford plenum, its been out for a while and there are no bugs. that is a valid gripe, but with the revised kinetix plenum, the crawford is beat at every turn. cost, retainment of stock parts, identical gains, heat transfer, weight, etc., etc.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:02 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crawford because I will be installing a SC soon and I don't think the plastic is designed to be pressurized.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:08 AM
Phatmitzu

kinetix for the reasons all mentioned above...
and why didnt you add a poll selection? I wanna see the %
Old 03-12-2004, 06:13 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I like the fact that I could keep the cover, it looks nice with it on. Also i believe the stock strut bar looks nicer than the Crawford, it looks too aftermarket like what you would see in a Honda.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:30 AM
LOU

Okay Phatmitzu,

Kinetix 53%
Crawford 47%

Biggest factor seems to be the overall cost (No core charge, not paying for new strut bar, etc)
Old 03-12-2004, 06:47 AM
supirio

Originally posted by mcduck
1. What do I need the core for once I have the new plenum???
In case something goes wrong with your car, it'd be nice to put the stock plenum back in and then take it to the dealer, so they don't blame everything on the aftermarket plenum when you know that wasn't the real cause, but you know how dealers accuse any mod you have of being the root of the problem.

Quick Reply: POLL: Crawford VS. Kinetix plenum