2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to out Jerk a Jerk

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 PM
zpylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By virtue of the title of this thread hfm eluded to how to beat a jerk. That's just how I see it. My point is still the same, you never know what is going to set somebody like this off.
Originally posted by D'oh
I don't think HFM was a jerk, since he did move his car when the other guy asked.

I think it made the other dude realize what it's like to be on the receiving end of rude behavior. Maybe next time he'll think twice before acting like a jacka$$.

-D'oh!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Silverstone_350

Hahahah, nice

I probably wouldn't have had the ballz to do that... next thing I know he's kickin my front end n sh*t. Glad to hear he was the one to bow down first
Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
aznkukuboi

hahah wow
Old 03-18-2004, 07:45 AM
WayneTN

Still, do think it's worth the risk to provoke a jerk (or anyone else that you don't know)? What if, when you had moved your car, he had opened the door of his car and taken out a gun? Or just damaged your car? Sure it's funny now, but was it really the smart thing to do?

I saw a truck driver block the Interstate once and get out of his truck and come after a driver with a baseball bat just b/c the other driver was trying to creep past him during a traffic tie-up. You might not want to inconvenience that truck driver. Just a thought....

Last edited by WayneTN; 03-18-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:12 AM
mcjohn1

Question- How to out jerk a jerk- Answer- Be a bigger jerk. Sometimes lately it seems as if life in America is just one big pissing contest! Gets tiresome!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Sly_Z

It would have been funny if he would have entered his car through the trunk, and got out, giving you the finger as he road off.

But good job anyway.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:32 AM
AZZGUY

Default Re: How to out Jerk a Jerk

Originally posted by hfm
So I'm headed over to the local bar and all the parking spots are full except for two. This older rotund guy parks his Mercedes S500 in a spot and crosses over into the other spot enough so that I can't park. As he's heading for the cell phone store, I put my head out of the window and say "you're not serious right? You are going to park that right?" He looks at me for a moment and proceeds to ignore me and walk into the store.

I'm like you total jackass! So, I pull up and back my car into the tiny space and sit in my car. there is inches between my car and his car. A few moments later, he returns, walks around the passenger side of his car and assesses the situation. There is no way he can enter his car and his big fat butt would make entering from the passenger side a difficult if not impossible feat. In fact, I couldn't get out either. Heh. So, he says to me "are you going to move?" To which I respond, "no." And I calmly wait and think to myself, I like it here.

You needed to see the look on his face when he asks "you're really not going to move?" And I say "why should I? You were being rude." Finally he says, "I'm sorry, I had a f'd up day." And I decide that the jackass has suffered enough and say okay and move so he can leave.

Heh, dang that felt good afterwards.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:33 AM
AZZGUY

I already had my good day with a Mercedes owner. I had a 300 ZX from 1990 to 1995. We were playing grab *** on the interstate just outside Gila Bend - coming toward Phoenix. I got ahead of him again - and pulled into the right hand lane. I was then in 4th gear. When he got even with me I threw it into 5th gear and floored it! - left him cold - up to 125 MPH. He was following but never got close !!
Old 03-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by NismoKid
That's never happened to me before, but now I know what to do! That was hilarious!
What he said...lol
Old 03-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Dave679

Great story, great approach, great result. As a city dweller who parks on the street, people inconsiderately taking up two parking places is a real sore spot for me.

Another sore point is people who are sensible enough to recognize when someone else is being a jerk but lack the gumption/courage to say something about it. That only encourages similar behavior from them in the future. If they're never confronted, they've got no reason to change. We, as fellow members of a common society, owe some duty to each other to call jerks on their harmful behavior. Kudos to you, hfm, for doing just that (without violence or property damage).
Old 03-18-2004, 10:32 AM
RacerX68

Unhappy

Unfortunately, now you have made him angry, and he knows what you drive. So the next time he pulls into that bar and sees your car, he keys it.

I know, because something similar happened to me once. I felt all proud of myself until my truck got keyed, and I couldn't prove that the jerkoff was the one who did it.

Now I just keep my mouth shut and try to fly under the radar in a situation like that.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:54 AM
SweatyPalm

Originally posted by yobri

"The jerk store called... and they're running out of you."

I'm a hardcore Seinfield fan myself. I think the best line is "I'm gonna fix you something special" then he (papi) walks out of the toilet without washing his hands.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:10 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RacerX68
Unfortunately, now you have made him angry, and he knows what you drive. So the next time he pulls into that bar and sees your car, he keys it.
Well, there are a number of ways HFM could have handled it, and it sounds like the guy realized that he was being an *** and that's why he apologized. I don't think their was any bad blood between the two at the end.

People grow up throughout their entire life. If your child acted like this, would you discipline the kid, or just ignore the behavior? Hopefully, most people would discipline their children to not act that way in the future. So, just because you are dealing with an older person, why would you all of a sudden start ignoring completely rude behavior? You should not get argumentative, but instead just point out to them that they are way off base acting that way.

The trick though, is to confront the behavior in a way that lets the other person understand that you are not necessarily just being a ***** back. For instance, it would have been completely wrong for HFM to key the guys car, or to park very close and then leave. But to park there and wait, and then show the guy exactly how he was behaving really got the point across. The next time that person has a bad day maybe he'll be more considerate of those around him.

Obviously you may run into someone with a short fuse, and while you hear about that crap on the news all the time, in reality if you treat someone with consideration even while you are at odds about something, you will find that almost everyone will respond in a reasonable fashion.

I think HFM performed a valuable civil service, so keep up the good work (and wear a bullet proof vest)!

-D'oh!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:20 PM
FairladyZ

sweet!!! Glad you didnt leave your car cause that would have been bad.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Is this a DIY "How To:" ?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Dave679

Originally posted by D'oh
Well, there are a number of ways HFM could have handled it, and it sounds like the guy realized that he was being an *** and that's why he apologized. I don't think their was any bad blood between the two at the end.

People grow up throughout their entire life. If your child acted like this, would you discipline the kid, or just ignore the behavior? Hopefully, most people would discipline their children to not act that way in the future. So, just because you are dealing with an older person, why would you all of a sudden start ignoring completely rude behavior? You should not get argumentative, but instead just point out to them that they are way off base acting that way.

The trick though, is to confront the behavior in a way that lets the other person understand that you are not necessarily just being a ***** back. For instance, it would have been completely wrong for HFM to key the guys car, or to park very close and then leave. But to park there and wait, and then show the guy exactly how he was behaving really got the point across. The next time that person has a bad day maybe he'll be more considerate of those around him.

Obviously you may run into someone with a short fuse, and while you hear about that crap on the news all the time, in reality if you treat someone with consideration even while you are at odds about something, you will find that almost everyone will respond in a reasonable fashion.

I think HFM performed a valuable civil service, so keep up the good work (and wear a bullet proof vest)!

-D'oh!
Right on. The key is to act like a grown up. 99.999% of the time, people won't damage property or assualt you if you behave like an adult. A calm demeanor, well-grounded in moral superiority in the situation, will usually cause others to check themselves. As I mentioned above, I live in an urban area. From time to time, bad elements will show up in the neighborhood (prostitutes and their pimps, mainly). After finding the police to be very slow to respond, I started approaching these people myself and simply stating that they would have to find another area in which to work. Not only have I never been attacked, I've never been threatened. Usually, I get an "alright." Sometimes an apology. People know when they're being jerks if you call them on it, and if you don't make it a shoving/shouting match, it usually won't go that way.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Ruhtra

lol kikarse
Old 03-18-2004, 04:05 PM
zpylot

Again, however you try to justify it two wrongs don't make a right. Now the utmost grown up thing to do would of been to drive away and find another parking spot. Come on, those were not the last two parking spots on earth. Don't let someone like that have so much control over you.

Nice ancedote about the undesirables in your neighborhood. I would not of have the cajones to do that.

Originally posted by Dave679
Right on. The key is to act like a grown up. 99.999% of the time, people won't damage property or assualt you if you behave like an adult. A calm demeanor, well-grounded in moral superiority in the situation, will usually cause others to check themselves. As I mentioned above, I live in an urban area. From time to time, bad elements will show up in the neighborhood (prostitutes and their pimps, mainly). After finding the police to be very slow to respond, I started approaching these people myself and simply stating that they would have to find another area in which to work. Not only have I never been attacked, I've never been threatened. Usually, I get an "alright." Sometimes an apology. People know when they're being jerks if you call them on it, and if you don't make it a shoving/shouting match, it usually won't go that way.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:29 PM
dnguyent

I think the situation was properly assessed, and executed very well. The likelyhood that a middle age man with an expensive benz would use a baseball bat or shot somebody is very slim.

I sure wouldn't want to lose my hard earned assets (read: lawsuit) over something like this. Now, if the dude looked like he had very little to lose, I probably would have looked for another parking spot.

Great story though...I loved it.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:01 PM
hfm

Originally posted by zpylot
Again, however you try to justify it two wrongs don't make a right. Now the utmost grown up thing to do would of been to drive away and find another parking spot. Come on, those were not the last two parking spots on earth. Don't let someone like that have so much control over you.

Nice ancedote about the undesirables in your neighborhood. I would not of have the cajones to do that.
I didn't feel the need to post any further commentary but since you've posted three times, I feel the need to respond. D'oh! did an excellent job of explaining the situation.

The title, was just a title. I wasn't intending to be a bigger jerk than this jerk. If I was, I would have done something substantially more drastic than just preventing his departure. Please take a moment to read D'oh's responses again because his understanding of the story is accurate.

And, I disagree with the statement that the utmost grown up thing to do would be to drive away. When someone is acting irresponsibly, or childish and you don't respond, it only encourages that negative response. Sometimes, things should not be ignored or overlooked. When someone is unable or unwilling to accept or respond to anything other than action, action must be taken or that person will deem their improper behavior as something that is acceptable.

Certainly the circumstances may have merited a different response but in this instance, the response was appropriate and the risk reasonable.

Thanks everyone for all the posts.

Quick Reply: How to out Jerk a Jerk