2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Positive News On Feathering

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 03:37 PM
zlove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Positive News On Feathering

Hey all,

I have noticed many new threads started here about feathering/cupping/roaring noise. I see that many of them are new Zs with few miles and already people are getting paranoid about having the DREADED tire feathering

It is not that big of a deal and I find that many people are going over the edge (lemon laws, hiring lawyers).
Instead of spending all of your time typing on here, take your car to the dealer and have them check it out!

I took mine in today (9000 miles) and they performed the TSB (toe-in, swap tires) had me in and out in about 2 hours. The service manager told me that the tires would still be loud for a few miles until they smoothed out.

He then went on to say that if by my next oil change the problem had returned he would have nissan buy me a new set of tires (better than the reo40s) and swap them for me.

I expressed my concern that I might be over the 12,000 mile tire warrenty limit and he said that it didn't matter because Nissan knows that there is a problem and wants their customers to be happy.

Just relax people, love your car, drive your car and HAVE FUN!

sorry for the rant, I thought it might be informative and I was tired of all the negativity.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:41 PM
D@ActiveTuning

What about people with aftermarket wheels?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:14 PM
NzZ

Default Re: Positive News On Feathering

Man you are easily pleased. I hate to say it, but odds are when you go back, Nissan will make you fight to get new tires...and I highly doubt they'll buy you anything other than the POS-040s... although more power to ya if things work out.

Many here feel that Nissan has had more than enough time to work things out...and I am inclined to agree. Suffice it to say I don't have a positive opinion of Nissan AT ALL, although I still love the Z. I'd buy it even knowing about the tire prob, although if I'd known how Nissan has been denying it and outright LYING to customers... I hope the aftermarket steps up and figures out what's wrong...even if it costs a grand, it'll be worth it. I've given up on Nissan...they're too busy ripping people off on Nismo parts to care.

NzZ
Old 03-24-2004, 04:19 PM
rouxeny

I hope you got that in writing.

My only concern is that if people are having tire feathering at 8000 miles, which is not getting better with the TSB, well, they'll spend a lot of money on tires during the lifetime of the car.

My dealer actually knew about the feathering also, which is surprising, they haven't known about much else.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:52 PM
zunzet

I'm really not a complainer, and consider myself pretty easy going. I am in sales and know what a pain it can be when a customer is NEVER happy, no matter what you do.

But in our cases, NISSAN is not instructing their dealers how to properly handle customer complaints.

Why do we have to call NNA to get anyting done?

I have owned almost every brand of car and this being my first NISSAN, may be my last. The only other car I had as many problems was my ISUZU Impulse Turbo (1987).
Old 03-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Z_Coaster

Not to be negative, but what exactly was the positive news? The only positive thing I know is that I positively have the feathering issue and that a fix is the only news I want to hear. Sure, dealership is nice to you now, but wait until after your new set of tires wear out. Then we'll see how positive you are...
Old 03-24-2004, 05:51 PM
jj1814

errrrrummm... what exactly is the positive thing?

I had the TSB performed, didnt work. 2k miles later, feathering had returned. Filed a case with NNA and waited from October until LAST WEEK for my new stock fronts to come in.

If the **** comes back, I'm turning this car in.

It's been 2 years, and Nissan doesnt have a fix. Is that what you want us to be positive about?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:00 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that big of a deal? STFU. I burned through three sets of S03s and three dealer alignments LONG BEFORE Nissan figured out that certain provisions had to be made for the Hunters to align the car properly. It was only after I took the car to an INDEPENDENT shop that I found out that what the dealer thought was 2MM of toe in was actually 19MM!! I will NEVER get my $3K in tires back.

Really, STFU.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:16 PM
ml2316

just out of curiosity, has anyone had an alignment done that appears to have worked (i.e. no signs of feathering after 4k miles or so)?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:44 PM
MySunset350Z

lol, ya dont worry.

i got the alignment done before my tires went to hell thinking i'd be able to save myself the trouble before the problem started. 4k miles AFTER the alignment, the loud annoying roar started. it got to the point where my sister who knows crap about cars wanted to know what that noise was.

anyway those idiots at nissan ordered me new tires. ill be sure to bring those in when they wear out too.

i took my last car to the dealer just once in the 3 years i had it. i've already quadrupled that in the 1 year i've had my z. what a crock of #$*&.

come on people relax...bla
Old 03-25-2004, 05:55 AM
mode101

Originally posted by droideka
Not that big of a deal? STFU. I burned through three sets of S03s and three dealer alignments LONG BEFORE Nissan figured out that certain provisions had to be made for the Hunters to align the car properly. It was only after I took the car to an INDEPENDENT shop that I found out that what the dealer thought was 2MM of toe in was actually 19MM!! I will NEVER get my $3K in tires back.

Really, STFU.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:09 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I am on my 3rd set of tires, total 28,000 miles, all different brand. Still got the feathering after 6000 miles on this 3rd set. Oh, also I have done 4 alignments to date.. NONE helped..
Old 03-25-2004, 08:55 AM
cedusett

I don't mind the feathering at all now that Nissan has identified the problem. I do feel for anyone who paid money for new tires before Nissan took responsibility, but now it's not a big deal at all.

Sure the feathering is a bit of a nuissance, but they're replaceable. I just took my car in for feathering for the second time (14k miles), and my dealer actually replaced the tires BEFORE they talked to NNA.

The way I look at it, I just swapped 2 out of warranty used tires for 2 brand new potenza's.

Maybe the olds were damaged, but I'd eventually have to replace them due to wear and tear, and now I don't. I wouldn't mind if the new one's feather as well - that will just extend the amount of time before I actually have to pay for new front tires.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:57 AM
mode101

Originally posted by cedusett
I don't mind the feathering at all now that Nissan has identified the problem.

when did this happen ? i havnt read anything from them saying this
Old 03-25-2004, 09:02 AM
JLC350ZX

Originally posted by cedusett
I don't mind the feathering at all now that Nissan has identified the problem. I do feel for anyone who paid money for new tires before Nissan took responsibility, but now it's not a big deal at all.

Sure the feathering is a bit of a nuissance, but they're replaceable. I just took my car in for feathering for the second time (14k miles), and my dealer actually replaced the tires BEFORE they talked to NNA.

The way I look at it, I just swapped 2 out of warranty used tires for 2 brand new potenza's.

Maybe the olds were damaged, but I'd eventually have to replace them due to wear and tear, and now I don't. I wouldn't mind if the new one's feather as well - that will just extend the amount of time before I actually have to pay for new front tires.
That's exactly what Nissan wants to hear. You have just told them you give up and they have won!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:36 AM
cedusett

They've won... if you consider buying hundreds if not thousands of $160+ tires for their customers cheaper than actually finding a fix.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:41 AM
devildogg

Default Delete this Thread!

zlove:

Your the owner of this thread, why don't you try and delete it. Or change the damn subject. I saw your thread and thought there was a fix for my car....WRONG! You posted no useful information.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
zunzet

Picked up my car today. The dealer got new tires the same day NNA called to tell then to replace them.

I heard some of you hare having problems getting tires... Backorder... Strange.

Anyway. Lets see how long these last...

My positive news is: The dealer didn't do any damage to my car or rims this time. Whopeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 03-25-2004, 12:10 PM
350zSpeedRacer

I'm glad that your dealer is taking such good care of you and your car's feathering problems, but as you can see, the majority of owners aren't getting that kind of help. I personally would want their promise in writing (like rouxeny said) because once you're over that 12k mile mark, they might just decide to not remember their promise to you.

Good luck, and I hope your dealer stays true to their word, but at the same time, don't hold your breath.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:50 PM
fblue

Originally posted by zunzet
Picked up my car today. The dealer got new tires the same day NNA called to tell then to replace them.

I heard some of you hare having problems getting tires... Backorder... Strange.

Anyway. Lets see how long these last...

My positive news is: The dealer didn't do any damage to my car or rims this time. Whopeeeeeeeeeeee

What dealer was it on Long Island?

Quick Reply: Positive News On Feathering