Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How long did it take you to get the 1200 mile break in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004 | 11:51 PM
Grommit

3 days for me.

The Z is the first car I've ever owned. I came from a 1991 Honda civic and when I got into my Z, I just couldn't believe how much better my civic was so I had to drive the Z around to see if I made a $35K+ mistake.

Heh, Just kidding. I've always wanted a performance car and it took me A LOT of hard work and paitence to get myself into a position to be able to afford one, so yeah, it was long over due for me and when I got in my Z for the first time, there was NO WAY I could set it aside in my garage and do other things. I feel like I waited 25 years for this car so... yeah, I'm going to drive it and enjoy every last moment I can!

If only gas prices would come back down! Ugh! I spent $68 on gas the last 4 days alone! Yipes! I love this car!
Old 04-01-2004 | 05:56 AM
toddius

Originally posted by Jason Bourne
4 days.

I got it with 7 miles on it and I was going to my first track event 6 days later. In the meantime I wanted to get my StopTechs on it and get at least 1500 miles on the odometer. I did a lot of pointless roadtrips to get there but there was no way I was missing my first track event.

I got the car to drive it, not to look at it.
Not to hijack the thread, but Jason, is the Porsche yours as well? Just curious if you can make an impartial comparison of the two...

Incidentally, I'm at 325 miles right now and it's killing me.
Old 04-01-2004 | 06:31 AM
Jason Bourne

Originally posted by toddius
Not to hijack the thread, but Jason, is the Porsche yours as well? Just curious if you can make an impartial comparison of the two...

Incidentally, I'm at 325 miles right now and it's killing me.
No the Porsche is my father's. I have driven it a lot though and there is no comparison. I like the Z a lot but a 996 turbo (the car in my picture) is a whole lot more car. It's much, much faster and outperforms the Z in all categories (acceleration, handling, grip, braking, feel).

Compared to a regular Carrera (not a turbo) the Z has very similar performance but the 911 is still a little bit nicer to drive. It has a more nimble feel to it, particularly on initial turn-in (where the lack of an engine in the front is really felt) and the rear suspension is more stable over midcorner bumps or camber changes. It's easier to feel the limit of a 996 for someone with relatively low experience with the car than it is for the 350z. It took me a lot of laps at Watkins Glen (a track where I have driver hundreds of laps) to really get right up to the limit of the Z in the esses (a set of high 120mph+ corners leading onto the back straight). Having said that, a regular 996 is about $70K and a 996 turbo is $120K so the fact that a $28K Nissan can even come close to a regular 911 is very impressive in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2004 | 06:53 AM
tiswicked

1 and 1/2 day. got it with only 12 miles.
Old 04-01-2004 | 11:41 AM
toddius

Originally posted by Jason Bourne
No the Porsche is my father's. I have driven it a lot though and there is no comparison. I like the Z a lot but a 996 turbo (the car in my picture) is a whole lot more car. It's much, much faster and outperforms the Z in all categories (acceleration, handling, grip, braking, feel).

Compared to a regular Carrera (not a turbo) the Z has very similar performance but the 911 is still a little bit nicer to drive. It has a more nimble feel to it, particularly on initial turn-in (where the lack of an engine in the front is really felt) and the rear suspension is more stable over midcorner bumps or camber changes. It's easier to feel the limit of a 996 for someone with relatively low experience with the car than it is for the 350z. It took me a lot of laps at Watkins Glen (a track where I have driver hundreds of laps) to really get right up to the limit of the Z in the esses (a set of high 120mph+ corners leading onto the back straight). Having said that, a regular 996 is about $70K and a 996 turbo is $120K so the fact that a $28K Nissan can even come close to a regular 911 is very impressive in my opinion.
That comparison is actually pretty complimentary to the Z. Given the price differential it's impressive that you could even talk about the two in the same sentence. Interestingly enough, I'm finding out that non-car people mistake the Z for a Porsche more than any other car. Frankly, I've always loved Porsches from afar, but gotta say I love that I have my Z and a house with a garage to park it in.