Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Errr to my knowledge in Ga. its automatically reckless if the tickets reflects you were doing 23+ over the speed limit.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do yourself a favor, get a lawyer. You will thank yourself later.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:05 PM
guru_ck

Make sure you kiss the judges ***. I did 95 in a 65 in California. I had to go to court and got a $220 fine and traffic school so no points. Shorty after that I bought my V1.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:09 PM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by Poison123
Errr to my knowledge in Ga. its automatically reckless if the tickets reflects you were doing 23+ over the speed limit.
really? does the DMV website have that info?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

It might, I know this personally from some of the local cops. The one time I was pulled over 4 years ago, i was doing 24 over, and the cop told me he was doing me a favor lowering it to 22 so i didn't automatically get reckless.

The same thing that happened to me occured to my wife too, and that time for her it was in Atlanta, Cobb County. I was down in southern Ga. when I got mine.

But I'll look around and try to find a actual link for ya.

Can't seem to find it on the DMV site. *shrugs*

Though I noticed you get 4pts for Reckless, but 6pts for 34+mph. Damn that hurts to look at.

Last edited by Poison123; 04-06-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:04 PM
dcwilson

Originally posted by Bini2
Please do yourself a favor, get a lawyer. You will thank yourself later.
Take the above advice. GET A LAWYER! I average one out of three tickets being dismissed because the cop doesn't show. 1 out of three the lawyer gets dismissed.

Cops can't remember every joe they give a ticket to, and they will lie, in fact are trained to lie to make the ticket stick in court. You need alot of experience to be able to catch them lying.

A good lawyer spots the cop checking his notes on the ticket, then asks to see what he is looking at. Then asks a question or two right off the cops notes, and bingo, you are off. Don't try to do this yourself, courts are places for lawyers to play. All judges were lawyers once and they won't respect you in court unless you are a lawyer too.

As far as the "he earned it BS?" Yeah, he did break the law, or did he? That is up to a judge to decide, not the cop.

Lord knows it is safer doing 100 in our cars than that old 74 ford tooling down the road at 70. Those old junkers should be sited for unsafe speed before they clear the driveway!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:11 PM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by Poison123
It might, I know this personally from some of the local cops. The one time I was pulled over 4 years ago, i was doing 24 over, and the cop told me he was doing me a favor lowering it to 22 so i didn't automatically get reckless.

The same thing that happened to me occured to my wife too, and that time for her it was in Atlanta, Cobb County. I was down in southern Ga. when I got mine.

But I'll look around and try to find a actual link for ya.

Can't seem to find it on the DMV site. *shrugs*

Though I noticed you get 4pts for Reckless, but 6pts for 34+mph. Damn that hurts to look at.
well, if 24+ is automatically reckless driving, why didn't the cop give me a ticket for Reckless Driving? will the court slap that on when i show up to court?
Old 04-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Dissolved

Get a GOOD laywer. It will help tremdendously. Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but you were foolish for speeding like that without your detector. This one's on you bud
Old 04-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Dissolved

oh, here in Delaware, going 100mph is automatic suspension of license for up to 1 year, mandatory attendance of classes, probational period
Old 04-06-2004, 01:14 PM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by Dissolved
Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but you were foolish for speeding like that without your detector. This one's on you bud
yeah, i realize that already.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

I don't know ElBombastico, maybe he took pity on you, maybe the cops were blowing smoke up my skirt. *shrugs* I'd still consult a lawyer.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:46 PM
XtaZee

Lightbulb

I would try to delay setting up an arrainment date as much as possible. In Florida you are allowed to change the arrainment date once before requesting it from a judge. This will give you at least 3-4 months before you actually go to court.

When you show up for arrainment, see if you can speak to the DA in the courtroom before the hearing begins. Try to work out a deal with him in exchange for a fine and court costs in lieu of a nolo plea so as not to add points to your record, since your license has benn clean for the last couple years. Tell him your job would really frown on you with that kind of ticket on your record.

If he will not deal with you, you can plead not guilty, set up a trial date and hire a lawyer to represent you in court.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Silverstone_350

Unless you're really confindent in your lawyer that he/she can cut the points down AND reduce the fine, I say just go to court. They'll give you the good ol' Defective Speedometer non-moving violation, cut your 6 pts down to 3, and fine you the same amount as before. That's at least what happened to me last week when I went into court (72 in a 55 grrrr...).
Old 04-06-2004, 09:25 PM
AV630

thats only 35 over fight that ****......
Old 04-06-2004, 10:25 PM
peterhong

When you show up for arrainment, see if you can speak to the DA in the courtroom before the hearing begins. Try to work out a deal with him in exchange for a fine and court costs in lieu of a nolo plea so as not to add points to your record, since your license has benn clean for the last couple years. Tell him your job would really frown on you with that kind of ticket on your record.
Figured I would chime in since I am a lawyer and have very little experience with traffic infractions (I specialize in marital law). First of all, at least here in California, there is no DA or CA (City Attorney) present at traffic court. Also, from my limited knowledge, going 35 miles over the speed limit does mean immediate impoundment of vehicle. But since this didn't happen to you, you might have been cited for just a simple speeding ticket. In the worst case scenario, you probably got a Speed Exhibition and/or reckless driving ticket.

Here in California, if you get a traffic ticket that is not excusable by simply mailing in your fine, you are required to make a court appearance. At that court appearance, if you are not going to get a lawyer, simply ask the judge for leniency. More often than not, this actually works. One important note, if it is a temp judge, ask the court to reschedule your court date because those judges are unable to hear any facts and you will be fined/penalized according to textbook. (Bailiff will mention this to everybody and give them the option to reschedule before judge actually hears any matters). Make sure it is the permanent judge.

Final point here is --> if you are going to hire an attorney, get an attorney who only does traffic violations. My advice is, when you get your ticket and it shows which courtroom you have to show up in, go to that specific courtroom as soon as possible (before your actual court date) and just sit-in and see which attorneys are there all the time (there should only be 2-3 lawyers present). These are the guys/girls you want to hire because they have a longstanding relationship with that particular judge. They have the best chance of reducing your fines/penalties and/or eliminating the charge all-together.

Hope this helps you out and I wouldn't worry too much about it because courts/DMV rarely strip somebody of their license nothwithstanding a DUI and/or excessive points on your driving record (both of which you dont seem to have). And in the off chance you do get your license suspended/revoked (which I highly doubt), courts always allow you to still drive your vehicle under certain circumstances (i.e. going to work/school). Here in California, you can be busted for a DUI and still drive your car as long as you have a special instrument/breathalyzer installed into your car. So all in all, its not that bad for you. Anyway, good luck with your case and PM me with any questions if you want.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 AM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by peterhong
Figured I would chime in since I am a lawyer and have very little experience with traffic infractions (I specialize in marital law). First of all, at least here in California, there is no DA or CA (City Attorney) present at traffic court. Also, from my limited knowledge, going 35 miles over the speed limit does mean immediate impoundment of vehicle. But since this didn't happen to you, you might have been cited for just a simple speeding ticket. In the worst case scenario, you probably got a Speed Exhibition and/or reckless driving ticket.

Here in California, if you get a traffic ticket that is not excusable by simply mailing in your fine, you are required to make a court appearance. At that court appearance, if you are not going to get a lawyer, simply ask the judge for leniency. More often than not, this actually works. One important note, if it is a temp judge, ask the court to reschedule your court date because those judges are unable to hear any facts and you will be fined/penalized according to textbook. (Bailiff will mention this to everybody and give them the option to reschedule before judge actually hears any matters). Make sure it is the permanent judge.

Final point here is --> if you are going to hire an attorney, get an attorney who only does traffic violations. My advice is, when you get your ticket and it shows which courtroom you have to show up in, go to that specific courtroom as soon as possible (before your actual court date) and just sit-in and see which attorneys are there all the time (there should only be 2-3 lawyers present). These are the guys/girls you want to hire because they have a longstanding relationship with that particular judge. They have the best chance of reducing your fines/penalties and/or eliminating the charge all-together.

Hope this helps you out and I wouldn't worry too much about it because courts/DMV rarely strip somebody of their license nothwithstanding a DUI and/or excessive points on your driving record (both of which you dont seem to have). And in the off chance you do get your license suspended/revoked (which I highly doubt), courts always allow you to still drive your vehicle under certain circumstances (i.e. going to work/school). Here in California, you can be busted for a DUI and still drive your car as long as you have a special instrument/breathalyzer installed into your car. So all in all, its not that bad for you. Anyway, good luck with your case and PM me with any questions if you want.
thanks peter for all the advice. i talked to my father yesterday, and he gave me the same advice as you.

off topic, but you have the same name as my church pastor. small world
Old 04-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Vlad

I would suggest to carefully read everything available on National Motorists Assotiation site
http://www.motorists.com

If it's a RADAR ticket, there is a tons of tricks and formalities you can use to contest the ticket. Depends on exact circumstances.

To the guy who has 3 tickets in a year. You should've been contesting every ticket, not only the last one. If nothing else, you have a chanse of cop not showing up. And prepared defence can help with right judge. If all people would contest their tickets it would stall the courts and we wouldn't have cops hunting us anymore.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:14 AM
Liberation

Default Re: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds

Now my question is, will my license get suspended because of this? Should I plead no-lo or should I just pay the fine and get it over with? My last ticket was 2 years ago for running a red light. Should I hire a lawyer for this?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s tough!! I'm a veteran with speeding tickets; so, here is what I would do.

First and foremost, DO NOT JUST PAY THE TICKET!!! Go to the DMV and get a copy of your driving record, this way you will know EXACTLY what to say to the judge when he/she asks you "How is your driving record." Therefore, you must request a trial date. The reason being is you have a good chance of getting some of the points and fine reduced.

Second, when you get your court date in the mail, postpone it. I know here in Maryland you can postpone a trial at least twice. Make something up for the postponement--i.e. 'I'm going out of town on business; my cousin's funeral is that day etc. Hey, the cop might not show up and then the charges are dropped!

Lastly, when you do appear in court (a lawyer might or might not help, its up to you) be very courteous and make the judge understand you made a mistake.

I know these things worked for me in the past. At one point I received four (4) Probations in a row, instead of all those points. It's worth the effort!!!

One...Jas
Old 04-07-2004, 06:30 AM
ElBombastico

Originally posted by Vlad
If it's a RADAR ticket, there is a tons of tricks and formalities you can use to contest the ticket. Depends on exact circumstances.
he got me by Laser.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:08 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Alot of this advise varies by state.

To the guy saying the cop doesn't have good notes, etc.. ******** here. The cop had written down our ENTIRE conversation verbatium practically. 6 months later he practically recited our conversation for the judge.

To the 'is his gear calibrated' defense.. the cops all had logs of their radar AND speedometer calibrations with them. They had a binder with all that info available in about... oh.. 2 seconds

To the cop doesn't show up arguement.. that's your best chance.. but in all the times I've sat in court, I've never seen one NOT show up. I've seen people let off because witnesses didn't show, but the cops have always been there.

In one case the cop couldn't find his notes.. BOOM.. guy was outta there.

Usually your best defense is a clean record, but past that, its honestly and sincerity and hopefuly a soft judge.

In Maryland they let you off easy.. usually probation-before-judgement if its not too bad (usually under 75mph) and a clean record, but past that you usually get a fine and points.

In VA, they stick it to you. Best you can hope for is a lesser fine then the standard fine. Here, basically over 25mph over and its reckless which is a mandatory court appearance and possibility of suspended license. When I got 81 in a 55mph, I got *LUCKY* and got it reduced to just a speeding ticket. The judge only reduced 2 tickets the entire time I was there.. everyone else was guility w/fine. I've heard of weekend jail for people getting caught doing over 100mph here.

Your ticket will tell you if court is mandatory. You are extremely lucky if the guy just gave you a speeding ticket and not something else. Lawyers seem to be worth it when you have an extreme case.

In MD you could talk to the da's office before court and plea bargin.. in VA.. the da would only talk to lawyers. Go figure..

Quick Reply: Just got caught doing triple digit speeds