Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs G35 w/snow tires any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 06:07 AM
GMan6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z vs G35 w/snow tires any difference?

If snow tires are pretty much a pre-req on either car for winter driving in a NY area, is there any advantage to the G35 handling wise in snow over the 350Z if both have the same snow tires on?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:23 AM
afr0puff

Will the 350z have VDC? That plays a huge part. The Z has lower ground clearance, so you will be a plow in more than 6 inches of snow. The G35 also has a longer wheelbase. I don't know if that is an advantage or disadvantage in snow. G35 is heavier, meaning more weight on the rear tires.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:55 AM
DiRN

Z : RWD. G35 : AWD (unless you got one that wasn't and that just goes against the whole point of owning a Skyline). The G35 will handle better in the snow.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:03 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not a performance AWD. so I dont about that going against the point of a skyline. in this case for performance its just dead weight and power loss. and if your talking coupe, the AWD isnt available.

but it will do better in the snow, that is true. if its rwd though, I bet it would be pretty close.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:06 AM
DiRN

Originally posted by ares
its not a performance AWD. so I dont about that going against the point of a skyline. in this case for performance its just dead weight and power loss. and if your talking coupe, the AWD isnt available.

but it will do better in the snow, that is true. if its rwd though, I bet it would be pretty close.
I agree, definitely will be close. And I thought AWD was added to the coupes in 2004 or the middle of a year or something. Or was that just to the sedans?
Old 04-13-2004, 07:48 AM
GMan6

Nothing on the site indicates AWD on the coupe, and the Z im looking at is the enthusiast with the VCD. so RWD in both (unless AWD comes out for the coupe id get that, anyone know?) with VCD on the Z. Does the G35 have VCD?
Old 04-13-2004, 07:58 AM
kernel

in most cases with good winter tires, you don't need your vdc on at all, its really good to have on if you start to slip but you would have to be a really bad driver to not figure out your slipping and need to let off the gas. the vdc kinda does it for you (its like retard protection for your car) but as for how the G35 works i figure being so close to the Z im sure that with good tires it really isn't going to be a big deal. besides don't by either with a fear that winter is going to be a problem most cars can't move in 6 inches of snow anyway. actually i tried with winter tires and 4 inches (in a parking lot for fun) i was lucky to even get out of the snow, but my friend with front wheel drive and all seasons also had trouble. besides how often are you going to drive in anything that is more then 2 inches anyway? here in chicago the plows are out just as the snow starts comming down i can't see how new york would be any different.

if you are a younger guy get the Z, even if you are an older guy and just don't need back seats get the Z. if back seats and a trunk seem more your style and you need to or like to drive people around get the G35.

also if you want to mod a lot the Z is a better choice there is more options, not to say the g35 isn't starting to get some it's self just not as much as the Z.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Amp

...and the Z im looking at is the enthusiast with the VCD... Does the G35 have VCD?
The Enthusiast Z has traction control but it doesn't have VDC. All G35's have VDC I believe.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Syentifiq

Default New York

Long Island is very different from NYC. Sometimes I dont see a plow till the next day after it snows and then sometimes I dont see a plow at all. Either way as soon as the streets get dusted my garage gets locked.