Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

very strange problem with my Z! car dies at high speeds??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 02:02 PM
IceY2K1Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, it has NOTHING to do with your intake. Nissan did this on the VQ30 and at least the VQ35 in the Maxima.

Per a VQ30/VQ35 FSM:
"If the engine speed is above 1,800 rpm with no load (for example, in neutral and engine speed over 1,800rpm) fuel will be cut off after some time. The exact time when the fuel is cut off varies based on engine speed. Fuel cut will operate until the engine speed reaches 1,500 rpm, then fuel cut is cancelled."
Old 04-19-2004, 07:43 PM
AZZGUY

Originally posted by mapleleafzzz
i cannot comment on why your car would be stalling, although some above seemed to have made some comments there....but i would like to comment on your shifting to neutral to slow down...although i am no proffessional driver, i would recommend NOT doing that....you will get more decelleration by simply taking your foot off the gas in gear, or downshifting depending on your speed and gear, but you should be able to listen to your car and know if your car can handle a downshift....its a better way to slow down, and you will maintain better control of your car...especially don't do this (shift to neutral) while cornering...
If I am wrong about this would someone please correct me....but I think you should unlearn what it is you are doing.
I usually downshift when slowing down - but be sure and wach the guy behind you - he isnt expecting you to slow down without seeing your brake lights - sometimes is will be quicker slowdown than he is expecting.!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:27 PM
mapleleafzzz

Originally posted by AZZGUY
I usually downshift when slowing down - but be sure and wach the guy behind you - he isnt expecting you to slow down without seeing your brake lights - sometimes is will be quicker slowdown than he is expecting.!
Yes that is a good point....a quik tap on the breaks tends to let the smart ones know what you are doing...it's just too bad for alot of us, that they are the minority
Old 05-03-2004, 04:52 PM
FLZ

Default High Speed Bog

I don't know about any H.S. Stallng? But I have experienced a mind blowing power loss when in a high speed forth to fifth gear change at a not too straing RPM reading. I have been told it is some sort of rev-limiter. Kind of like a governor on a go-cart I once had as a kid. There are supposedly some programs or a chip available to fix the problem. I will research and get back to the forum with results. Z Ya! "FLZ" Dave
Old 05-04-2004, 05:15 AM
MrNicholas

Originally posted by zectasy
plus im gonna stick on the nismo intake and that should take care of the stalling problem it sounds like?
It definately sounds like your popcharger is to blame. I had the EXACT same thing happen the first time I took my car > 70mph after installing the 'charger.

Easy solution: disconnect your battery and let your ECU reset itself. I did and it 100% fixed my problem.

As I understand things, once your ECU is trained (two weeks I believe is the "window" of learning for the ECU) changing something like the CAI confuses it. Resetting the ECU allows it to learn your engine's current configuration.

Alternatively, you can just wait a few weeks and it should balance itself out.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:07 AM
zectasy

good call! only thing is i bought the care with the popcharger on it so im guessing its been on there for awhile? but anyways i am gonna try and disconnect the battery and give that a shot. plus also when i am at higher speeds i just downshift so slow down. before i was putting it in neutral and slowing down...i never knew that was bad to do? thanks for all the comments tho!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Dave679

Originally posted by mapleleafzzz
i cannot comment on why your car would be stalling, although some above seemed to have made some comments there....but i would like to comment on your shifting to neutral to slow down...although i am no proffessional driver, i would recommend NOT doing that....you will get more decelleration by simply taking your foot off the gas in gear, or downshifting depending on your speed and gear, but you should be able to listen to your car and know if your car can handle a downshift....its a better way to slow down, and you will maintain better control of your car...especially don't do this (shift to neutral) while cornering...
If I am wrong about this would someone please correct me....but I think you should unlearn what it is you are doing.
Hmm, I thought just the opposite was true. Keeping the engine connected to the wheels while you decelrate means that braking force is being applied, but only to the rear wheels. Since that's what the e-brake also does, and use of the e-brake is a good way to induce spins, I'd think that disconnecting the engine from the wheels (by depressing the clutch) would increase control and reduce the risk of oversteer situations.

I've been driving a stick for 10+ years, and nearly always depress the clutch when decelerating. No problems yet.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:52 AM
mapleleafzzz

Originally posted by Dave679
Hmm, I thought just the opposite was true. Keeping the engine connected to the wheels while you decelrate means that braking force is being applied, but only to the rear wheels. Since that's what the e-brake also does, and use of the e-brake is a good way to induce spins, I'd think that disconnecting the engine from the wheels (by depressing the clutch) would increase control and reduce the risk of oversteer situations.

I've been driving a stick for 10+ years, and nearly always depress the clutch when decelerating. No problems yet.
yeah ive been driving stick for 15 ish years...but what you are saying does make sense to me logically ..... however i imagine to get into that kind of situation you would need to be in a situation of dropping it into a gear that jets your rpm's up near redline territory....but certainly what u have said is enuff to make me want to retract my statement above.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:15 PM
ZxRage

Default Re: High Speed Bog

Originally posted by FLZ
I don't know about any H.S. Stallng? But I have experienced a mind blowing power loss when in a high speed forth to fifth gear change at a not too straing RPM reading. I have been told it is some sort of rev-limiter. Kind of like a governor on a go-cart I once had as a kid. There are supposedly some programs or a chip available to fix the problem. I will research and get back to the forum with results. Z Ya! "FLZ" Dave
I have this exact same problem right now, I thought that it was related to my MAF but now I think it is something entirely different. It seems like while you are accelerating the engine just hits a rev limiting wall and the RPM's just stop where they are and you can't accelerate even if you push the gas pedal all the way in. I have had this problem with every gear except first. Please let me know what you find out with your Z.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:10 AM
jpc350z

Default Re: Re: High Speed Bog

Originally posted by ZxRage
I have this exact same problem right now, I thought that it was related to my MAF but now I think it is something entirely different. It seems like while you are accelerating the engine just hits a rev limiting wall and the RPM's just stop where they are and you can't accelerate even if you push the gas pedal all the way in. I have had this problem with every gear except first. Please let me know what you find out with your Z.
The rev limiter is set by the ECU at around 7100rpm I believe. If your car is limiting rpms below that it seems you are experiencing another problem.. Try to identify the rpms associated with the limits and discuss with your dealer..
Old 05-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Sly_Z

This could be your problem:

Defect:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR MAY HAVE AN IMPROPER SOLDER JOINT DUE TO SOLDER DEFORMATION CAUSED BY HEAT STRESS ACCELERATED BY THE EXISTENCE OF FLUX RESIDUE DURING THE SOLDERING PROCESS.
Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" WARNING LIGHT TO COME ON, CREATE A NO START CONDITION, CAUSE REDUCED ENGINE POWER, OR CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CRANK POSITION SENSORS. VEHICLES INVOLVED IN A PREVIOUS RECALL CAMPAIGN, 01V357, ARE ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS NEW CAMPAIGN. THE REPLACEMENT SENSORS USED IN THAT CAMPAIGN ARE ALSO AFFECTED. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261 OR INFINITI AT 1-800-662-6200.