Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does Anyone Feel Kinda Nervous?....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 02:28 PM
VaGentleman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Anyone Feel Kinda Nervous?....

driving for the first couple/few times? I got my car last night..and I feel very aprehensive driving...I hit the accel..and I lurch to the dismay of my and my passenger *a GM*..I'm looking at all other drivers as potential dumb ***'s who might nick me...I need to get used to the width of the car not being able to see the car's edges...my foot was sooooooo heavy the first time I drove it..it's settled down a little on the second day. People, am I stupid? I really need some comfort messages!

Thanks,
VG

Last edited by VaGentleman; 10-01-2002 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:46 PM
Electro Z

Default same here

Yeah I feel the same... though I am getting better with the clutch smoothness... its still easy to launch out of a stop. I am freaked by the idiots on the road and also from those sneaky little rocks sitting by the roadside waiting to be thrown into my face...

I just fueled up for the first time... no problem.. took it like a champ... no topping off like I do in my Dodge Truck... and talk about change of view.. hi up truck to sneaky low Z....

Loads of FUN

Since I am the only person in New Mex with a Z right now.. ( the only other one was pegged by that bus.. which pisses me off and its not my Z that got hit ) I am very wary of driving around.

EZ
Old 10-01-2002, 03:07 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, same here. Pretty paranoid about driving around in traffic where people would box you in, just so they can get a glimpse of the Z .

The first time I hit the accelerator in 3rd gear at 2000 RPM, the car just surge ahead! I am so used to the Honda VTEC characteristic whereby you have to get it up in the RPM before any noticeable acceleration is appreciated. This is one torquey V6! I love it!
Old 10-01-2002, 03:50 PM
ATL350Z

Now that I've had it for a while I've gotten a lot better at being smooth. Also, I'm at the point now that I will actually park in a public parking lot, but WAY in the back.

I'm sure it will get better. Right now the condition of parking lots and the possibility of rain still have some effect on my decisions to go places, do things, etc.

Yes, it is pretty sad. Here is an example:

Friend: Let's head out to the bar. You're drivin!
Me: Are you insane! Have you seen how small the parking spots are?
Old 10-01-2002, 09:44 PM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default congrats

Congrats on getting your car, wasn't it truly worth the wait? I love the power. The longer you drive it the more she wants to run, 1200 mile can't get here soon enough.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:57 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

I'm paranoid everyday during my commute. It's like a video game out there and SUVs are moving chicanes. I never realized how much people HATE sports cars. Every f**king POS on the road wants to get in my way to keep me from going anywhere. As to the throttle issue, I find it difficult to drive in my dress shoes because they're always slipping on the throttle pedal. I hate it when I try to make a minute adjustment to my right foot on the pedal, slip, goose it and lurch like an ***.

Today I realized that I wished I had a commuter and that the Z was a garage queen/weekend driver. You just can't open her up like she needs in traffic. Despite the bugs at night, I enjoy taking lonely drives on back roads away from other morons.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:52 PM
donnyz

Default Re: Does Anyone Feel Kinda Nervous?....

Originally posted by VaGentleman
driving for the first couple/few times? I got my car last night..and I feel very aprehensive driving...I hit the accel..and I lurch to the dismay of my and my passenger *a GM*..I'm looking at all other drivers as potential dumb ***'s who might nick me...I need to get used to the width of the car not being able to see the car's edges...my foot was sooooooo heavy the first time I drove it..it's settled down a little on the second day. People, am I stupid? I really need some comfort messages!

Thanks,
VG

I CAN IMAGINE!!
Old 10-02-2002, 03:31 AM
mikersoft

Default Parking

I've had mine for two weeks now... I'm still having some difficulties parking well... My Ford Exploder is so easy to park compared to the Z. I always back it in, straight as an arrow, on the first try... I find myself all over the place in the Z when backing into a spot..

Also, I almost had a heart attack the other day when I watched a big rock fly out from behind a pickup & just miss me on the passenger side

-Mike
Old 10-02-2002, 04:02 AM
Pitlizard

Default 350Z is different not difficult to drive

Coming from a 1982 280ZX to the 350z was a very different driving experience. With the visibility and width of the 350Z I neded to practice driving just like when you first learned how to drive. I marked lines on the street and practiced hittting the marks. When I first started I was usually 8 inches farther to the right than I thought and slightly forward. I reverse backing into a parking spot I still have a problem getting to far to the right, you can still pull-up and back-up 3 or 4 times to get it right, but you look like a beginner.

Shifting experience from a 5 speed with a tried clutch to the 6 speed also required a re-learning experience. The 350Z is fun to drive and can be intimidating at times, you have to remember that this a performance sport car, which requires common sense and experience to handle right.

There is a whole world of trouble out there just waiting to spoil your fun, so drive defensively.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:12 AM
VaGentleman

Whew! I thought the I was the only one.

After I posted, I imagined logging on today to see phrases like "grow up!", "geeeeeeeez!", "what's to feel apprehensive about??".

Glad to know I'm not alone.

To those who have their car, Have fun!

To those who are waiting, Hang in there!!

VG
Old 10-02-2002, 06:03 AM
WashUJon

Those rocks are what make me want to get that clear front end film stuff. I don't know how I kept my old VR-4 chip free after driving back and forth from St. Louis to Chicago 2-3 times a month in a 3 year period. It IS possible to do that and not get any nicks. Although, I still can't figure out how I did it. lol
Old 10-02-2002, 06:29 AM
roberto350z

HA. I work at a ghetto high school. I CANT be paranoid. I have to accept the inevitable and enjoy my Z. Its a car that was meant to be driven, and I haveto drive and lock my neuroses away.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:30 AM
ZBarrister

After getting my Z i'm thinking I should get a commuter as well.

Maybe a Mini Cooper S or a Vw GTI VR6.

The freeways are like a pinball machine and it feel like the silver ball is coming straight at me sometimes.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:31 PM
TCL

Originally posted by ZBarrister
After getting my Z i'm thinking I should get a commuter as well.

Maybe a Mini Cooper S or a Vw GTI VR6.

The freeways are like a pinball machine and it feel like the silver ball is coming straight at me sometimes.
I'm more concerned with damage done while the car is parked. I agree that a commuter car is good idea. It takes the anxiety out of leaving the car at the airport for a few days, parking in bad areas, etc. Plus the Z costs less to insure if used for pleasure use only.

As others have mentioned, the parking anxiety would be reduced somewhat if the Z had integrated side moldings. Those doors are totally defenseless now.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:59 PM
Electro Z

Default Life and all

I have my Dodge truck for rain days and days I have to go out of town... I drive my Z when its sunny and clear. Call me lazy.. I would rather not have to wash her off ever time it sprinkles out here in the desert... Just enough rain to put little dirt spots all over.

I have another little rock ding in my front bumper. no color loss .. jsut a little indentation.. yeah I hate that.. but it is a car... and a car that MUST be driven.. MUST!

I ahve a nice spot next to my office window away from everything to park my Z... unfortunatly it is also clearly visible from the only road in the area... so everyone sees it. I ahve already taken a women from the FAA on a drive cause she saw it.. and I am such a nice person.. LOL

I hope I feel more comfortable soon driving around town...

EZ
Old 10-02-2002, 06:42 PM
rouxeny

Actually, I don't feel anxious at all driving it. I know you're talking about paint dings and stuff, but for me, the handling is so good, it makes you feel like you can do anything with the car and it won't go out on you. Admitedly, I'm more careful driving such that I don't follow cars as closely as I'm used to and I have to double and triple check my blind spots before I change lanes.

Parking is a whole other problem. I definitely feel anxious about that. I stopped taking it to the hospital, one of the interns (that I think is an idiot) has already made some remarks about scratching it. He's on vacation now, needless to say, his return will be painful....for him.

I'm not sure if it's best to park in a public spot in parking lots with the hopes that enough people will be by that nobody will try anything, or far far away thinking nobody will park by you, but realizing that you're away from the public eye.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:06 PM
panthrd

I gotta say even after having some nice new machines, one of them being my Porsche. I still had the new car jitters with the Z for the first 3/4 days. I then set into the (yup gonna get the rock nicks, gonna find little scuffs become some moron will get too close in the parking lot, etc. When I got the stang a bit after the boxster I didn't feel much anxiety, but I slotted that as my beater car. The Z just looks so awesome I get that close to Porsche jitters. But after a while you'll resolve yourself that this is a car to drive and enjoy, which you can't do if your nervous at the wheel. Just set some cash aside to have some professional detailing and maybe some professional paint work done.

At this point I am afraid of people hitting me or another driver because they're driving and gawking at the car. This car is dangerous.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Electro Z

Default Got a good wack on the front today..

I was racing home.. still under the 4000 rpm limit.. in 6th doing 80.. and this huge rock comes out of right field heading for my windshild.. I was in the far left lane so I didnt have much space to move into.. but jagging to the left enabled the rock to hit my right bumper just above the grille. It left two 2mm dings in the paint.. but its blue underneath so .. its only visible from up close. I will get some touch up paint asap and fill them in.

I know I cant avoid ever rock.. but damn I love this car and hate to see it abused my mean rocks.

I will set aside enough moola to have it detailed out as it gets more chippies... I will hate I but.. I cant drive it far in my garage.

Love the speed this baby will do in a pinch ...

Parking isnt a prob at work... anywhere else and I go through cold sweats!

EZ
Old 10-03-2002, 07:16 PM
suw

Default Re: 350Z is different not difficult to drive

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pitlizard

[B]Coming from a 1982 280ZX to the 350z was a very different driving experience. With the visibility and width of the 350Z I neded to practice driving just like when you first learned how to drive. I marked lines on the street and practiced hittting the marks. When I first started I was usually 8 inches farther to the right than I thought and slightly forward. I reverse backing into a parking spot I still have a problem getting to far to the right, you can still pull-up and back-up 3 or 4 times to get it right, but you look like a beginner.

I agree with Mr Pitlizard. Having trouble with the front car borders and gelling into the garage.

With my 1988 300zx, I could see where the hood was and front visiblility was a good bit better. It will take some time to get used to.

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Feel Kinda Nervous?....