2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Non-bose Rear speakers are 32 ohms... read on

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 07:41 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-bose Rear speakers are 32 ohms... read on

so i am in the 2nd day of a custom install on my car (slated all week), and we finally work to the rear deck. when pulling out the rear speakers i did not expect to see anything special. to my surprise i see 32 ohms stamped on the back. at first i thought this might be 3.2 ohms or something. we through it on the multimeter and sure enough 32 ohms...

what does this mean...?

well, in my case, i am planning to run Boston FX6's in the rear, powered by the headunit. why, you ask? because the fronts (Boston RC620's will be running off a JL Audio 300W X2 getting signal from the high-volt outputs of the headunit (which it can take in)) and the subs in the stock location (2 JL 8W3D2) will be running off a JL Audio 250 X1. In the configuration of the Z, the rears dont need tons of power, but enough to make a rear-fill. Also, these two amps will fit nice in the stealth setup we planned. pics will follow on completion.

anyways, back to this 32 ohm dealy...

here is where there are 2 possibilities, and i need some input...

1) The Nissan/Clarion radio is actually 40Wx4, but all channels expecting at least 4 ohms. Nissan then went and put 32 ohm speakers in the rear because of balance problems (so they thought). This one explains why the rears are so dead, and the car is front heavy in sound. Most of us have the fader turned biased to the rear.

2) The Nissan/Clarion radio is actually 40Wx4, but the rear channels are expecting at least 32 ohms. This makes less sense, since it requires much more circuitry in the internal amp.

Now, where I run into a dilemma...

the bostons are 4 ohm speakers. i dont know ifl running them on the rear channels will cause the headunit to freak out and fry it (in the case of it being 32 ohm min), or if it will just work fine (in the case of all channels expecting 4 ohms min).

my real questions are:

1) has anyone powered aftermarket rear speakers off the stock headunit, or
2) does anyone know for sure if 4 ohm speakers will work fine and not fry the headunit.

thanks in advance,
michael
Old 10-01-2002, 09:15 PM
nizl

Default Re: Non-bose Rear speakers are 32 ohms... read on

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
Most of us have the fader turned biased to the rear.
Funny, I have mine faded all the way to the front, no rears. Once you try this and get used to it, there's no going back. Pure, clear front stage is the only way to go.

the bostons are 4 ohm speakers.
Sure they're not 3? I believe most Bostons are 3 ohms.

i dont know ifl running them on the rear channels will cause the headunit to freak out and fry it (in the case of it being 32 ohm min), or if it will just work fine (in the case of all channels expecting 4 ohms min).
I doubt the headunit will fry out. Since it's probably a $15 OEM Clarion, it likely expects 4 ohms and the rears are high "ohmage" to lower volume as you said. But this is still odd.

Anyways, I'm getting my car thoroughly disassembled this weekend, so will let you know what I find out... perhaps the fronts are 32 ohms as well. In which case, this should definitely go into the Guiness Book as "Highest Impedence Stock Stereo System"
Old 10-01-2002, 09:20 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Default Re: Re: Non-bose Rear speakers are 32 ohms... read on

Originally posted by nizl
Sure they're not 3? I believe most Bostons are 3 ohms.

Anyways, I'm getting my car thoroughly disassembled this weekend, so will let you know what I find out... perhaps the fronts are 32 ohms as well. In which case, this should definitely go into the Guiness Book as "Highest Impedence Stock Stereo System"
you're right.. they be 3ohm.. i was all in my post and didnt re-read.

anyways, the stock front speakers are 4 ohm.. per the stamp on the back.

m
Old 10-01-2002, 09:23 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Default Re: Re: Non-bose Rear speakers are 32 ohms... read on

Originally posted by nizl
Funny, I have mine faded all the way to the front, no rears. Once you try this and get used to it, there's no going back. Pure, clear front stage is the only way to go.
you doing this on the stockers? yuck. the only way i would go all front is with some kick panels with more mid (like 8" and another driver).

m
Old 10-01-2002, 10:57 PM
nizl

Have you tried it with the base stereo? It's really not that bad. Fade all the way front, bass +1, treble +1, and it's decent. The rears just dilute the soundstage, IMO.

But yeah, I'm getting Dyaudio System 360 3-ways, 8"/3"/1", with the mid/tweet in kickpanels and the 8" in the doors. Given the doors are pretty solid, I suspect it should sound sweet. I'll let you know in about a week!!
Old 10-02-2002, 04:39 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to post some removal instructions and pictures?
Old 10-02-2002, 07:42 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

i didnt get to take pics on the dissassembly, cause we were all cracking our heads trying to figure it all out (the dash and doors).

i will say the doors are a *****... passenger door is a little trickier.. first to come off is the arm rest. then remove the silver insert for the big handle. then pop off the little plastic piece behind the actual opener lever. behind each of these is a bolt. remove these then the door panel will pop off. the tweeter can be reached by simply pulling out the triangle piece from the front towards the rear. make sure when you put it back on you tuck in the rear side.

driver door is the same minus the big handle. since its not there.

the doors are already extreme dynamat'd, and put back together so i dont have pics.

i will repost this and center console instructions/pics in a couple days.

michael
Old 10-02-2002, 08:09 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!