Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help Needed, UR Crank Pulley Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 03:09 PM
neffster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed, UR Crank Pulley Question

I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death on this forum, but I've been advised to come here and ask... my referral source

Before anyone sends me to the search function, I did a search on "UR Crank Pulley" and got rejected because UR was not 3 letters. I then did a search on pulley and got no where due to too many responses, sigs, etc... so TIA for your help.

Now on to my delima... I own a G35C-6MT (Needed the 2+2) and have purchased a UR Crank Pulley. I was about to install the pulley, but read a post that got me worried. Please go here G35driver and read the comments by InfinitiTech. I have done as much research on this Pulley as I can, even to the point of understanding Torque Stretch with the install instructions and realizing that you need to get a new bolt with the new pulley (having to do with the 36lb-ft PLUS 60-66 degrees...)

Anyway, I know there are many more 350Z owners who have a very active "mod" community, moreso than the G35 guys, so any help you can/will give will be greatly appreciated. I'm primarily concerned about the "2 failures" with 30,000 miles on the engines that InfinitiTech referrs to. Apparently he states that the engine is balanced WITH THE PULLEY ATTACHED TO THE CRANK.

For the record, I'm a mechanical design engineer, and I'm not afraid of technical, or engineering explainations...

TIA,
Neffster
Z-Tube | JWT Popcharger | Crawford V5 Plenum | RT High Flow Cats | JIC Y-Pipe (on the way for 7 weeks) | UR Underdrive Crank Pulley (in my trunk, awaiting advise before install)
Old 05-02-2004, 04:29 PM
all_bark

and your question is............
Old 05-03-2004, 01:59 AM
neffster

Haha, silly me. I thought that if you clicked the links, you'd see the original question.

I want to know if there is any one who has had engine problems as a result of installing the UR Pulley. There is a newly registered person on G35driver, who claims to be an Infiniti Technician in California (InfinitiTech) and he says that he has seen two 2003 G35's with engine problems recently. Both cars had the UR Crank Pulley, and both cars suffered engine damage as a result of the Puley. Since we share the same engine I was hoping that someone here might be able to add some insight...

This person also goes on to saying that the engine is balanced with the pulley attached... Well it's better if you read his posts (the thread is only 10 or 11 messages). Ths way I'm not putting words in his mouth.

BOTTOM LINE, are there any people who have high mileage 350Z's and a long history w/ the UR underdrive pulley (w/o incidence)?

Thank you.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:37 AM
all_bark

well, i cannot say I have high mileage with it and to be honest I was quite skeptical for a while. Manty people, hopefully they will post, have quite a bit of mileage on there Z/G with no problems whatsoever.

I personally only have 13,000 on my 18+month old Z and only about 5-6 of the are with the pulleys. no problems to report.

and no, I did not read the link but i read others, many others...