Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Woud you??? *** new Skyline related ***

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 07:58 PM
perucho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woud you??? *** new Skyline related ***

What if in a couple of years (say like 3) Nissan decides to release the Skyline for US sale and it cost about 50k MSRP (that's pretty reasonable I think). The question is, would you trade in your Z for it....given these:

1) It has at least the same performance as the last Skyline built
(same motor).
2) You don't really know what the car looks like (all you know is
that it's not butt ugly)...This one is not really believable but I'm
just trying to make a point here.
3) It's all wheel drive of course.
4) It has back seats but two doors (like the G35 coupe).

Me --> Hell yeah!

p.s.--> Remember that the point is that you would TRADE your Z (so that means no longer having it). Of course there are people that can have both, but I can't so I would have to decide and I would get the Skyline even though it would mean paying for a car another 5 years.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:37 PM
kzshin

depends on how's the potential for the new GTR. If it's very mod friendly like the R34, R33 or R32, then HELL YEAH. If it's not mod friendly, like having a V8 NA engine, then HELL NO.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:51 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be comparing it to the C6 Z06 vette. If it performs similarly, then I'd definitely consider it.

My Z will have close to 100,000 miles by then, so it would probably be traded in no matter what

-D'oh!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:42 AM
BDM

The G35 IS the Skyline released for US sale. Now, if you mean the GT-R version of the Skyline . . . that's hard to say since there is no current GT-R version of the Skyline in Japan. If you mean a hypothetical stand-alone GT-R car that shares the G35 platform, but has it's own bodywork and engine, then I'd say yes . . . so long as it's not butt ugly, outhandles and out accelerates the Z and has a back seat - all for under $50,000.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:01 AM
pLacebo
The Eradicator

Nissan will (has) split the Skyline from the GTR. As BDM mentioned the G35 is the new Skyline. Nissan has already announced that it will introduce and sell the GTR in the States starting in 2007.

October 22, 2003
Source: Dow Jones Business News

TOKYO -(Dow Jones)- Nissan Motor Co. will market from 2007 a new model of its flagship sports auto, the "GTR," as "a global car," president Carlos Ghosn said Wednesday at a round-table meeting with the media.

It will be the first time for Nissan to market the model globally. Ghosn said the company will launch the model in markets including the U.S., Europe and Japan.

The new GTR is expected to be the successor to the Skyline GTR model, which was launched in January 1998 and available only in Japan. Nissan stopped marketing that model in August 2002.

Ghosn declined to provide any sales targets for the new model.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:55 AM
perucho

Let me clarify some things:

1) I meant that the new Skyline would perform exactly or better than the LAST Skyline GT-R.

2) The motor will be the same or even a bit more powerful

With that said, would you? pLacebo, that's some great news. I knew they would be selling it soon but not exactly on 2007. Oh man, I just hope it's not more than 50K because that would be too much for me. I know that the 1998 version cost about 35K? So knowing that this will be nissan's flagship sports auto (and the Z costing on average 30k), 40-50k doesn't sound bad at all.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:17 AM
DiRN

They're dumping the inline 6, so the engine itself is already different. And $50,000?? Keep dreaming. We'll be lucky if it's under $70k. It doesn't have to be reasonable, it's a GT-R.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:24 AM
perucho

Originally posted by DiRN
They're dumping the inline 6, so the engine itself is already different. And $50,000?? Keep dreaming. We'll be lucky if it's under $70k. It doesn't have to be reasonable, it's a GT-R.
Aren't they selling the 1998 GT-R for like 35k over in Japan? How can they increase the price by double just because they sell it over here? Even if they go with a 8 cylinder, I don't think the price will skyrocket to that much. I don't know, maybe I am dreaming but more than 70k doesn't sound realistic to me...just my 2 cents
Old 05-03-2004, 06:49 AM
JeffR116

I agree. I do not think it will be 70K. More like 50K.

Nissan started its new trend of affordable performance vehicles with the VQ. And getting a sports car like the Z for ~30K is a steal. I think the GT-R will be more expensive, but still reasonably priced.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:59 AM
PoWeRtRiP

i might but i wont be buying a first yr model again. it really depends on how much potential the car has, it would be cheaper to tt my z and rebuild the engine than buy a skyline that would kill my insurance.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:44 AM
CatastrophZZ

1) It has at least the same performance as the last Skyline built
(same motor).

NO! for the reason above.
YES! if the engine HAS LOTS of potential
NO! if it's butt ugly
YES! if it's Full-time AWD
NO! if it's a 4 doors or w/ back seats
YES! if it's a V6 N/A or Turbo, no small or bigger block please!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:02 AM
perucho

My Z cost me around 30k, so if I add a Twin Turbo (at least 10K), that would be 40k. So that means that if you buy the new Skyline (supposing it has AWD), the other 10k extra you'll be paying will be just to have the AWD. So if you agree on this then it doesn't really sound like a great deal for 50k. However, I would rather have a factory Twin Turbo than an after market one (warranty, etc).

I guess the only major difference is that either you are driving a modified Z (where you can't really add that much more power to it) or an unmodified Skyline which most likely be easly upgradeable to produce even more ridiculous power (if the enginie is mod friendly like the old GTR).
Old 05-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Bini2

I'll buy one, won't trade in my Z though. I might ditch my current daily driver and promote (demote) the Z as my daily driver.

I will wait till 2008 though, wait till all the bug are worked out.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:42 AM
DiRN

Originally posted by perucho
Aren't they selling the 1998 GT-R for like 35k over in Japan? How can they increase the price by double just because they sell it over here? Even if they go with a 8 cylinder, I don't think the price will skyrocket to that much. I don't know, maybe I am dreaming but more than 70k doesn't sound realistic to me...just my 2 cents
You can't compare the price of a 6 year-old-car to a new one.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Ok several things:
1) While you can you buy a R34 for 30-40k, its gonna end up costing you over 70k if you want to drive it in the US.

2)The reason it'll be more expensive is because its being released under the Infiniti name, it'll have almost 500hp and AWD.

3)The name the car carries its pratically legendary with people who love imports and such. So of course they'll pay the 60K+ to own the damn thing.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 AM
PoWeRtRiP

dont forget the insurance factor, it would probably double maybe triple my insurance bc thats a turbo 50k car, while my z could be as fast with a turbo that they dont know of for much less. and it would be paid off by then.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:39 PM
phile

I wish they would stick to the styling of the gt-r, and just update it. The photos i've seen of the concept gt-r are built using the G35 body. I want to say that it's *** ugly, which it really isn't. I'm just compelled to say that because i'm angry that they went with a totally new design :P
Old 05-04-2004, 08:46 AM
perucho

Originally posted by Poison123
Ok several things:
1) While you can you buy a R34 for 30-40k, its gonna end up costing you over 70k if you want to drive it in the US.

2)The reason it'll be more expensive is because its being released under the Infiniti name, it'll have almost 500hp and AWD.

3)The name the car carries its pratically legendary with people who love imports and such. So of course they'll pay the 60K+ to own the damn thing.
Ok, so 70K to drive it in the US, but that's because they aren't selling it in the US. Usually when they sell a car worldwide, the prices stay around the same. So if the old Skyline was 40k now (assuming inflation and what not) + the infinity brand name I still don't think that it could be 70K or even 60K. There are many reasons for this:

1) Nissan has never made a car that's worth more than 50K (besides the super car that cost hundreds of thousands).

2) Nissan is well known for providing powerful cars at low cost (Z for example).

3) I just really hope they dont

The Z06 cost 50k and it has more than 400hp. So if the Skyline would have around the same horse power, why would they charge 20K more? The AWD? The name? I said 50K because I think that's a pretty good estimate. One more thing, if they do sell it at 70k, they can suck my d**k
Old 05-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

The number 1 reason WHY the car will be that expensive................Because there will always be suckers who will pay it.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:43 AM
mpowers

Plan on buying if not an Infiniti badge car. (Damn Nissan keeping me in the red)

Quick Reply: Woud you??? *** new Skyline related ***