Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is anyone worried that Nissan hasn't released HP ratings yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 05:39 AM
fatboydeepak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone worried that Nissan hasn't released HP ratings yet?

Am I the only one thinking it's really strange that Nissan is mute on how much power the Z is gonna have just months before its release? Also isn't it strange that no major car magazine has got a production model of the car to review yet? Is anyone else concerned, since Nissan has a history of fudging their production numbers? Case in point, check out this link of the Sport Compact Car review of the 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ar...e01_1201.shtml

To sum it up, Nissan was a mess. They sent over FIVE prototypes of the car to be reviewed, and the best it could do was 142 hp and 153 lb-ft of torque, nowhere near the numbers Nissan was claiming (180 hp and 180 lb-ft of torque). So maybe they have something to hide. Don't get me wrong, I hope the 350z is everything it has made out to be on paper, and if it is, i will definitely be buying one. But I just don't have the courage some of you have...to drop $30 000 on a car that no one has even driven yet!!! This post is not a flame, so don't get all worked up for nothing....these are just my thoughts!
Old 06-08-2002, 05:44 AM
2003z

or more likely, after the sentra, altima and maxima coming in at under what they promised several months before they were released, they want to make sure it doesn't happen again. All will be revealed on the 3rd.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:15 AM
fatboydeepak

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously didn't read the article....so i'll quote it:

"What's more, on our in-house Dynojet chassis dyno the SE-R made only 142 hp and 153 lb-ft of torque. Drivetrain losses aside, any engine rated at 180 hp and 180 lb-ft of torque, which Nissan was claiming for the car at the time, should make more than 142 hp on the chassis dyno. Case in point: The 2001 Acura Integra GS-R carried a factory claim of 170 hp and turned 150 hp on our dyno."

Of course horsepower at the crank is higher than at the wheels. But thats not the point - the power at the wheels was WAY too low, considering they were claiming 180 hp at the crank.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:34 AM
Zboy

Once again, I am going to say what Zisme has posted recently on Zcar.com about this whole HP thing. Nissan knows and has known the HP for 350Z for a while now. However, the numbers cant be released BEFORE July 3rd. No foul play or gimmick involved, just an embargo.
Old 06-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ZISME posted on zcar today that since Nissan holds us preorderers in such high regard and since they appreciate our hanging in there waiting, they plan on "spending some money" to let us know the final specs before everyone else in a special way.

Don't know what that means but it sounds intriguing. Maybe some sort of commemorative item with the specs on it? Any guesses?
Old 06-08-2002, 08:18 AM
jeffw

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
ZISME posted on zcar today that since Nissan holds us preorderers in such high regard and since they appreciate our hanging in there waiting, they plan on "spending some money" to let us know the final specs before everyone else in a special way.

Don't know what that means but it sounds intriguing. Maybe some sort of commemorative item with the specs on it? Any guesses?
I would guess something snail mailed. I just can't imagine anything else being affordable. Possibly a T-shirt.

Personally, I would rather go ahead and find out sooner rather than later what the final specs are. I don't want to wait for a letter or T-shirt to be printed.

Given the tone of ZISME's post, I think he's happy with the final specs. Also, he seems to believe that we'll be happy with the specs too.

Full quote:

"We appreciate our pre-sell people hanging in there with us, so we will spend some money to deliver the news to you in a cool way...all I'm prepared to say."

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=5&i=50523&t=50432

I mean, I just don't see him saying stuff about "deliver[ing] the news to [us] in a cool way" unless it was actually good news.

Based off of ZISME's post, my guess is in the range of 295 - 305 hp.

--
Jeff
Old 06-08-2002, 03:37 PM
350zhawaii

I'm cool about hearing that they will provide us with the numbers in a "cool way", but they forget the people in hawaii. We don't get the same stuff the mainland does ie confirmation letters, playing cards, and car show. Hawaii is dealt differently, but i hope someone would post it here so I can share the joy with ya'll.
Old 06-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Let's see now............get an envelope in the mail VS living in one of the most beautiful places on the face of the planet?.....hmmmmm, that's a tough one...............I don't know, I really do like envelopes..................but sunshine, warmth, beaches, bikinis, hmmmmmmmmmmmm that IS a tough one! Envelopes.......Bikinis.............
Old 06-08-2002, 05:25 PM
MSOsr

I foresee another letter like our confirmation letters..........with a Z the color of our order on the front........with the specs enclosed. What do you think?
Old 06-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Envelopes...................Bikinis................HUH, Oh, sorry. I was still contemplating.

I agree. I think we'll probably get another confirmation-like letter but to put our own personal color on it may be a little too time consuming. Would be nice though.