Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

disappointed with the new 350z. (my 2 cents)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 02:58 AM
integraowner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seats and such

I have the touring model, and the leather seats are nice. I too feel my back getting warm after a half hour of driving or so, but not uncomfortably so. I don't think it's significantly worse than other leather seats. Leather doesn't breath quite like cloth.

As for interior, I love the Z interior. I consider the fact that they have intelligently implemented all the ammenities with so few, yet intuitive controls as a hallmark of good design. The key here is that the interior isn't cluttered by ***** and crap because they aren't needed!

For example, the 3 combination rotary controls/pushbuttons are the best design I've seen so far for an automotive climate control user interface.

I think the feel of the switches in the Z is pretty solid. I read somewhere that nissan actually spent extra $$ to get better quality switches, because they consider even that to be part of the "driver experience" (which they are trying to maximize).
Old 10-04-2002, 03:53 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LIL RAJA,

Don't buy a Z then. That leaves one for a true Z person. I'll say it again nothing touches the Z package for less than $30K. Yes that's what my CS 6 speed Enth. pkg. cost me. Love the cloth seats. Probably some of the best stock seats for performance driving I have seen. I am tired of leather. I don't want frills just give me a basic sports car. The great thing about the new Z is no matter which model you get the same suspension and engine. Thanks again Nissan!
Old 10-04-2002, 04:29 AM
rai

I have to say that if you want a nicer interior go with a bimmer or a MB or a porsche, or a lexus, or a audi.

But to get a faster german car you have to spend a lot more money. I'm not sure if there is a faster lexus at any price. The only faster jap car is the NSX.

I know where you are comming from. If nissan had put a BMW quality interior in and raised the price $3K across the board I'd have been just as happy. But they wanted to keep it cheap.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:52 AM
LIL RAJA

Originally posted by jmark
LIL RAJA,

Don't buy a Z then. That leaves one for a true Z person. I'll say it again nothing touches the Z package for less than $30K. Yes that's what my CS 6 speed Enth. pkg. cost me. Love the cloth seats. Probably some of the best stock seats for performance driving I have seen. I am tired of leather. I don't want frills just give me a basic sports car. The great thing about the new Z is no matter which model you get the same suspension and engine. Thanks again Nissan!
Interestingly how people are so defensive. If one read my post, they can see that I had not one negative thing to say about the exterior. Lot of people who are jumping on me thinking I am saying how bad the seat is totally off. I am talking about the material. The seat is fine, but the material was not up to my standard. I would have been happier with the nissan sentra base cloth seats. Am I not allowed to disagree with anyone?? Please tell me this is a discussion board, not a brain wash "I love Z" board.
Also the door is a little thing and that I don't like, but I doubt I will step aside because of that. Last but not least, just cuz i don't like the seats and the navi. door does not make me any less of a true Z person.

Anyway, I just hope this board does not become a **** forum and you are not allowed to discuss things freely without having people jump on u.

thanks and best regards,

LIL Raja
Old 10-04-2002, 04:58 AM
LIL RAJA

Originally posted by rai
I have to say that if you want a nicer interior go with a bimmer or a MB or a porsche, or a lexus, or a audi.

But to get a faster german car you have to spend a lot more money. I'm not sure if there is a faster lexus at any price. The only faster jap car is the NSX.

I know where you are comming from. If nissan had put a BMW quality interior in and raised the price $3K across the board I'd have been just as happy. But they wanted to keep it cheap.

the bmw interior is really nice, but i have been through three 3 series since 2000. Time for a little change. Getting a Porsche would mean selling my s2000 and just get one car. MB has only one offering CLK500 which does not come in manual transmission. So the choice is simple, I don't want to spend a gazillion dollar as all cars are everyday use item not investments. I will probably get married next year and don't want to have so much liablity as I will have other expenses.

Well, my problem can be rectified by buying a Touring, but I wish they had leather seating available on the enth. & Perf. The door of the Navig is getting custom work done one way or another, So it's not a worry.

This thread was simply to see if anyone agreed with me, not to point the negative aspects of the car. I like the car plenty, thank you..

We shall learn to take negative comments as Nissan NA might listen to our opinions and might upgrade things in coming years ( i know HOnda and BMWs look at the forums to make changes for upcoming years)...

LIL Raja
Old 10-04-2002, 05:08 AM
rai

I say get the enth. You are saving $5-6K (I can't remember). That way you can get really nice custom leather ($1500). Then you have all that money for custom work.

I am getting the track, but I don't really care for leather. I also don't want custom wheels etc..
Old 10-04-2002, 05:15 AM
LIL RAJA

Originally posted by rai
I say get the enth. You are saving $5-6K (I can't remember). That way you can get really nice custom leather ($1500). Then you have all that money for custom work.

I am getting the track, but I don't really care for leather. I also don't want custom wheels etc..
I did consider aftermarket that option. I am not nuts about leather either. But I will either get aftermarket racing seats. But damn that burnt orange on a black car will look bas ***.

the Enth. is like 5k cheaper.

I still can't believe the msrp on the enth. is like 29k??? so so low. what a deal!!!

btw, do you know any good leather shops in our area that you maybe able to suggest?

LIL Raja
Old 10-04-2002, 05:28 AM
rai

I have no idea about aftermarket leather.

I can't believe they are selling as many touring as they are. Especially when the Bose sucks. Take that $5K and get custom stereo, custom seats, and some interior work and wheels.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:29 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what type of material are you looking for in the cloth seats? The material used in the seats is designed to provide butt traction for when you're driving and pulling serious lateral G's. The seats are very supportive, and truly exceed anything in its class.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:12 AM
Z33

LIL Raja,

Stop by and see my Touring sometime. I'm right around the corner from you, I think. That's your S2k on Alabama?

I'm one of those who's absolutely blown away by the Z interior. It's got everything I need, nothing I don't, and above all it's undistracting. There's a Zen-like purity about it that immediately puts me in the right frame of mind to Drive. Many generations of real sports cars have been made the same way, so 'cheapness' isn't the word that comes to mind. 'Focus' is.

Context is everything. If the Z didn't have the high level of performance that it does, the interior certainly would do nothing to compensate. There are plenty of pretty interiors in cars that handle like cows. Since the Z does have impressive performance, the interior merely provides an understated frame to the well-executed picture of prowess that emerges as soon as you're under way.

IMHO, of course.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:37 AM
LIL RAJA

Originally posted by Z33
LIL Raja,

Stop by and see my Touring sometime. I'm right around the corner from you, I think. That's your S2k on Alabama?

I'm one of those who's absolutely blown away by the Z interior. It's got everything I need, nothing I don't, and above all it's undistracting. There's a Zen-like purity about it that immediately puts me in the right frame of mind to Drive. Many generations of real sports cars have been made the same way, so 'cheapness' isn't the word that comes to mind. 'Focus' is.

Context is everything. If the Z didn't have the high level of performance that it does, the interior certainly would do nothing to compensate. There are plenty of pretty interiors in cars that handle like cows. Since the Z does have impressive performance, the interior merely provides an understated frame to the well-executed picture of prowess that emerges as soon as you're under way.

IMHO, of course.
hmm. the situation does not apply to you, you have the touring with the navigation and the leather. However, I am really intested in checking out your car. I will be in europe for 2 weeks vacationing, but once i get back I want 2 meet up with you and check your ride out.

No that not me with the yellow s2k on alabama st. I live off drainsville, but i pass by alabama at least 2-3 times a day. So yeah, i would be interestd in seeing your car. Especially the silverstone.
LIL Raja
Old 10-04-2002, 07:39 AM
LIL RAJA

Originally posted by Hedonist
Exactly what type of material are you looking for in the cloth seats? The material used in the seats is designed to provide butt traction for when you're driving and pulling serious lateral G's. The seats are very supportive, and truly exceed anything in its class.
i guess anything that the regular car has would have been fine. But I suppose they are suppose to be sticky and had it's purpose. It just does not look good to me or feel good. However if they made a suede interior that would be kick ***. My friends M3 has special suedes that is sticky like glue. i wonder any aftermarket shop offers anything like that.

Again, the seats have no complaints from me. :-)

LIL Raja
Old 10-04-2002, 08:09 AM
belkmike

Cloth seats are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

I would be very suprised if Michael Schumacher has leather seats in his F1 car.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:40 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but I personally prefer cloth over leather in any car. And I really like the Z's interior. It's simple, useful and everything is easily accessable.

If you're used to BMW and Mercedes, you have to remember, this is not made to compete with those. It's a sports car designed to put the power to the asphault, not tour around in. There in two completely different classes, so keep that in mind.

The Z is a great car for the price, and if your looking for real performance, you have to dump the Bimmer mentality.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Z33

Originally posted by LIL RAJA
hmm. the situation does not apply to you, you have the touring with the navigation and the leather. However, I am really intested in checking out your car. I will be in europe for 2 weeks vacationing, but once i get back I want 2 meet up with you and check your ride out.

No that not me with the yellow s2k on alabama st. I live off drainsville, but i pass by alabama at least 2-3 times a day. So yeah, i would be interestd in seeing your car. Especially the silverstone.
LIL Raja
Cool. Might have new wheels and bigger rubber by then, too.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:26 AM
LIL RAJA

Originally posted by Z33
Cool. Might have new wheels and bigger rubber by then, too.
you are killing me. bigger wheels and bigger rubber. I guess now i know who will be my competitor in Herndon LOL!!! Yeah, i am a mod crazy person too. Will be fun to have another person live close by with similar interest. C u when I get back.

LIL Raja
Old 10-04-2002, 12:00 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I really like the cloth seats and prefer them over leather: they grip better, and don't get hot or cold. I like the look and feel of the interior and love the seats!
Old 10-04-2002, 12:55 PM
LIL RAJA

Originally posted by z350z
I really like the cloth seats and prefer them over leather: they grip better, and don't get hot or cold. I like the look and feel of the interior and love the seats!
at least you are happy. :-) I wish i felt the same. But maybe it will grow on me... I am gonna look one more time if not touring might be way for me.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:32 PM
daveatrpm

Default Z interior

When a new car like the Z is developed, there are only so many things that you can concentrate on to bring the car to market in the target price range. I think you will agree that with aluminum alloy suspension, carbon fiber drive shaft, drive by wire technology and more that this car is as close to perfect as you can get concerning quality, performance, and technology. I agree that the interior could be improved in a lot of ways, but I think those improvements will occur over time, as they become more cost effective.

Quick Reply: disappointed with the new 350z. (my 2 cents)