Sponsored by:

Friends wife slammed by a 350Z!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 05:49 AM
sanf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

difference between a young driver (mature) and an older driver (mature):

a young driver sees an empty highway ---> WOT

an older driver sees an empty highway ---> decision making ---> check for cops ---> WOT or not

at least that's how I was back at age 17. I am now 27. do I still speed or take fast corners? yes of course. but not without thinking.

I understand that even when you are young, you can be very mature and be responsible for many things. but there is always this "just do it" or "no fear"(guys around my age, remember that t shirt?haha) type of ideas that keeps you from thinking things thoroughly.

once again, this doesn't speak for all young/older drivers. its just a general idea of how I feel.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Titan0385

Originally Posted by paulsmansfield
17 year olds should not drive cars like the Z. Don't argue with me, you know I'm right.

haha you are funny. Yes, age and experience does play huge part when driving but so does responsibility and maturity.

I may be 20, but I have a supercharged 350Z (paid for by me), 700hp '71 Vette (partners with my dad 50/50 investment), and a 57 Chevy BelAir (500hp built by me and paid for by me)..

My first car was my 57: small block 350 with more power than the Z, worse brakes, and no airbags. It should not matter what type of a car a young person drives but rather having the parents be responsible and actually teacher their kids how to drive the car correctly.. Yes I think it is wrong to see a young person in a nice car, but that is their parent’s money not ours and we have absolutely no control over it. Plus if the kid gets into an accident, it is the parents that are going to have to pay the insurance costs.

No matter what, stupid drivers will still drive reckless, erratic, and careless. Young and old drivers are both guilty of this.

This is unfortunate that there was an accident (reason for the original post) and I wish them the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:58 AM
dkorr

Originally Posted by k2we
Ready for this.... My friends wife was driving to do some shopping the other day when she was hit broadside by a 17 year old in a 5 day old 350Z!! It seems the 17 year old (who has only had his license 3 weeks) ran a stop sign and destroyed both cars!! His father bought him the car as a graduation present... It only had 340 miles on it and it was totaled.. I saw the photo's.. They had to cut the roof off the "Z" to get the driver out. He's in critical condition. My friends wife was in a Lexus and is a bit sore but nothing else.. Now tell me.. What kind of a parent buys there 17 year old a 350Z for a first car??? I hope he's learned his lesson... It could have been a fatal purchase.

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 20,676 miles since Sept 17,2002

Hmmmm I hope he doesnt make it out of the hospital
Old 04-19-2006, 08:08 AM
abyss

My 1st car was purchased by my parents, it was a POS 02 Sunfire that had just hit the lot, but my dad is a stickler on not buying used behicles for me, my brother, or my sisters because he said he doesn't want us to break down in the middle of Bum *** egypt. I was given **** even in highschool for having my car bought for me, and then when i started working. But I was also made to wait till I was 17 to even think about getting my liscense because he wanted me to be mature behind the wheel. I'll never understand this mans thinking though, he asctually first stared teaching me to drive with a Scarab so i can get the feel of a steering wheel (which I still don't understand) then in his vette. Age to a point does reflect responsability behind the wheel, some kids mature faster, some people never mature. I'v only been in 2 accidents in my time driving and 1 was my fault and by myself. I was driving down a back road in the country in my brother Blazer after we had just got a foot of snow and I was playing aruond hiting the gas and sliding around till one spot i did it too hard and last control and rolled the blazer through 2 fence rows. My other accident, wasn't my fault but shows that people of all ages drive stupid...when a 40 year old man talking on his cell and not paying attention coming around a sharp curve in a utility truck hit me headon. I will agree that teenagers should not be handed this car on a silver platter, but if they are responsable enough to earn and save the money for it themselves then they are most likely the ones who are gonna respect the car and whats under the hood because THEY paid for it and not someone else.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of 17 year olds,
one of my customers at my work has a Lambo Murcielago roadster.
He's 17. Isn't that crazy?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 AM
ZlleH

The kid in the 350Z ran a red light and hit the girl... What does that have to do with not being able to handle a 350Z? He ran a red light, you can do that with any car. His parents could have bought him a mini-van and he could have still ran that red light and hit the girl.

So I don't understand what the original poster's point was.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Clapton9286

Kill him.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:47 AM
NeoRacer_106

dont diss the kids, most of them have had full time jobs since they were 8, by 17 earning about $150k a year and fully trained fighter pilots. Give em some slack
Old 04-19-2006, 09:09 AM
HpnoticZ

I have discussed this in other forums and have got flamed extensivly, but i got a 350Z for my first car when i turned 16 last year and i just turned 17 and have had a year without ne inncodents except a speeding ticket but i was crusing with my old man at the time i got pulled over.
Clapton9286

How the hell does that happen?!
HpnoticZ

I have discussed this in other forums and have got flamed extensivly, but i got a 350Z for my first car when i turned 16 last year and i just turned 17 and have had a year without ne inncodents except a speeding ticket but i was crusing with my old man at the time i got pulled over.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:10 AM
HpnoticZ

Old 04-19-2006, 09:30 AM
deviantZ

Two things should be mandatory in the US:

1) Military service
2) Driving a beater for your first car.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by DragonGcoupe
I'm 17 with a Gcoupe.. I think this post is kind of harsh. I don't think the power of the car has anything to do with this. The kid is an idiot and ran a stop sign.

I agree. This was just plain stupidity and this type of thing happens with people of all ages. If this were a street racing accident then we could have a different discussion on the age matter.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
deviantZ

So, seeings as this thread is nearly two years old, does anyone know if the kid came out alright?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:00 AM
zero0 2 sixty

:d
Old 04-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Cozmo

hope that retarded kid doesnt pull through and his dad drops dead

sorry but stupid parents giving birth to stupid kids shouldnt be something i should b worried about when im on the road driving
Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Z_freak

okay, everytime the "old young" thread is posted this happens, and it's because the old have been young and think they know everything(which we do)and the young ones have not been old and think they know everything(which they don't)..as a matter of fact you have no clue about life because the one you know has only been in existence for 18 years, and for almost half of that was spent still pissing in your own pants.......it is STATISTICALLY PROVEN, here let me say it again so the young people hear it, it is STATISTICALLY PROVEN, that young adults are careless drivers, and why is that....you do not have any experience driving, you have only been driving for two years at the most...do not forget that some of us(like myself) have been driving for as long as you have been alive....I took sh*t for being an idiot driver when I was young and you are going to take sh&t now because thats what you are, deal with it.....
Old 04-19-2006, 11:35 AM
MR_LUCIFER

Originally Posted by wren57
I hate to get into the age discussion. I've had a full-time job since I was 13, got a 350z when I was 18 (no I didn't pay all of it myself). I now have 16,000 miles on it in just over a year with zero wrecks and zero tickets. Maturity and responsibility is NOT 100% linked to age all the time...
^^ agreed, same over here ive been working since 15 so my got an ml320 for me when i was 16 n i busted my *** working for it and paying the payments two years passed I had no tickets or car accidents therefore when I wanted a z my dad was like ok but you better work your *** off for it n pay your payments at time n if you start getting tickets... youll go back to your ml. If I ever got a speeding ticket or anything like that my dad would laughh his *** off if I wanted a z so yeah age doesnt matter at all.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:24 PM
sykikchimp

IT'S THE STATES FAULT@!@!

Consider this.. If the state provided better driving training that included emergency and extreme vehicle handling techniques such as an HPDE would provide, I believe our streets would be safer.

If this young boy was "Looking up" he would have seen the stop sign, and stopped.

Don't just have a baby sitter sit in the car and make the kid drive around for 3 hrs and then give them a license if they dont wreck. The way "driver training" is handled today is rediculous. It's not "driving" training.. it's "Law" training.

Last edited by sykikchimp; 04-19-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Friends wife slammed by a 350Z!!