Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How do you go uphill from a stop in MT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 04:22 PM
JeepRage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: You've got to be kidding me!?!

Originally posted by peter
Let's see, i want to learn how to drive stick.... Oh i know, i'll buy a 280 hp brandnew 350Z so i can learn .

Unbelievable
you got screwed, my Z came with 287HP...
Old 05-15-2004, 04:38 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Practice, practice, roll down a hill and crash, get a new car, and practice!
Old 05-15-2004, 06:12 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand using the handbrake when learning but it should not become a habit.

Once you get a "feel" for the tranny, you should be able to take your foot off the brake, hit the gas, & release the clutch. It does take awhile, though, to know where the friction point on the clutch is.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Ruhtra

Originally posted by teh215
No tip other than practice, practice, practice. It is really easy once you get a feel for it.
yup i second that, with time ull be laughing at urself for asking that question , congratz on the purchase
Old 05-16-2004, 12:06 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Practice of course, but one factor is to not get psyched out or nervous when there is someone behind you. Take your time and be sure to give more gas than usual to as you let off the clutch.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:15 AM
hurahn

Just realize that the first time you're in traffic on a hill with cars behind you are going to be nervous. I glazed my clutch and had smoke coming off of mine on my current car(A4). Quattro makes it kinda of harder too. And it didn't help that people were blowing their horns for me to go. Just relax and treat it like all the times you've practiced and everything will be tip top.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:05 AM
AZZGUY

THE STUDEBAKER IN THE EARLY 1950'S HAD A "HLL HOLDER" FEATURE. wHEN THE BRAKE WAS APPLIED THE AUTO WOULD NOT ROLL BACKWARDS. I WONDER WHY THIS FEATURE HASN'T BEEN APPLY TO OTHER AUTOS. I ASSUME THEY HAD A PATENT ON IT -WHICH SHOULD HAVE EXPIRED LONG AGO.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:26 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't Panic!

Other than that, practice . The Z is my first manual car (first car too, lucky me), though I had driven quite a few manual cars before and never really had any problems getting used to it.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:15 PM
SizongZ

This is wat I do when I teach people to drive manual.
I find a small slope, not hill and have them stop in the middle.
Release the break and as the car starts to roll back have them slowly release the clutch until they find the sweet spot and stops the car from rolling back.
After they find the sweet spot and get used to it then I start letting them use the gas =)
Done this many times. Works great

oh and I don't let them do this in my Z... =). I have a DD for that
Old 05-16-2004, 10:31 PM
peter

Default Re: Re: You've got to be kidding me!?!

Originally posted by JeepRage
you got screwed, my Z came with 287HP...
Got screwed a little bit more actually... I was on a dyno yesterday (it was outside on a Japanse Car Festival) and i've got 273.4 HP and 350 Nm torque at crank / 226.8 HP and 305 Nm torque at the wheels.
I'm not sure how accurate those numbers are . Like i said it was outside and i don't know the actual brand of the machine.

Overall, i was pretty satisfied. Oh they were all so doing 1/4 mile runs and a german Zed was third behind 2 modded (early 90s)civics .
Old 05-17-2004, 06:59 AM
cedusett

THE STUDEBAKER IN THE EARLY 1950'S HAD A "HLL HOLDER" FEATURE. wHEN THE BRAKE WAS APPLIED THE AUTO WOULD NOT ROLL BACKWARDS. I WONDER WHY THIS FEATURE HASN'T BEEN APPLY TO OTHER AUTOS. I ASSUME THEY HAD A PATENT ON IT -WHICH SHOULD HAVE EXPIRED LONG AGO.
Maybe I'm missing something here. When my brake is applied, i don't roll anywhere. That's what brakes do, and my e brake works the same way.

Now, on the other hand, if you can apply your break, while holding the clutch down, and giving it gas... well, you're either incredibly talented, or you need to get that third foot removed.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Zcool

When the emergency brake is on, you're right, the car doesen't move. That's the point of using it so you don't have to use your left foot on the regular brake. Using your right hand, left hand on the steering wheel, you slowly let the emergency brake off (release the lock button at the same time) as you give it gas. At the same time you are engaging the clutch with your left foot. Nothing too complicated about that and you don 't need three feet just some coordination.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Aggro_Al

Driving an MT in San Francisco you learn to drive the hills quickly or die trying. I got tired of driving a clutch in The City so I got the AT. There are basically four different ways to get started going uphill with an MT.

1) Quick Transfer Shift: This basically your regular type shifting. You just do it faster. If the hill isn't too steep this will be the most common method of getting started. The downside is you will get some rollback even when done correctly.

2) Clutch Technique: Keep your foot on the brake and start to release the clutch. As soon as you feel the friction point give it gas immediately. If timed right there will be no or little rollback and you might even roll forward a little bit. The downside is excessive clutch wear especially if done wrong. If you totally screw it up you will stall. Good method when rollback is not an option and you need to move right away.

3) E-Brake Method: Apply parking brake instead of foot brake, give it gas and release the parking brake when clutch is engaged. More confidence on steep hills because there will be no rollback. Not as quick as the other methods. Sometime necessary if the car behind is very close and left no rollback room. A necessity when you are parking on a hill.

4) Heel-Toe: When stopped or slowing down, use your right heel on the brake and your right toe on the throttle. Apply enough brake to keep the car from rolling back and apply enough throttle to keep the RPMs up. It's a little bit of a balancing act This is similar to powerbraking on an AT, brake and throttle at the same time. When it is time to go, release clutch as normal and take your heel off the brake at the friction point. The car will move right away, no rollback. This method is the hardest to do and requires practice. Preferably not in your Z. When done right there is no drivable hill you can't conquer. The heel-toe will work in almost all situations except parking.

Hope this helps. Have fun and drive safe.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 05-17-2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by 04_CS_Z33
I got the car in March and I still haven't mastered the hill. Sometimes I use the e-brake and let it out as you start moving. None of the hills in my area are really steep, like in San Fran, so I don't really get a chance to practice that much. How bad is it to prevent rolling back on a hill by balancing the clutch and the gas(no brake)? I would imagine that this is pretty rough on the clutch.
Bad, bad, bad. Using the clutch and gas to balance on the hill will ruin your clutch.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:21 PM
z33saru

just wanted to say thanks again for all your tips.
eventho some are a little repetitive, they all help out and i really appreciate it.
as i have never owned a manual transmission car, your tips are greatly appreciated.

thanks again!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:30 PM
AZZGUY

Originally posted by cedusett
Maybe I'm missing something here. When my brake is applied, i don't roll anywhere. That's what brakes do, and my e brake works the same way.

Now, on the other hand, if you can apply your break, while holding the clutch down, and giving it gas... well, you're either incredibly talented, or you need to get that third foot removed.
WHOOPS - I LEFT OUJT AN AN IMPORTANT PART - WITH THE HILLHOLDER YOU CAN TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE BREAK AND IT WONT ROLL BACKWARDS. WHEN STARTING UP, GNGAGE THE CLUTCH AND FEED IT GAS AS YOU LET THE CLUTCH OUT - WORKS LIKE A CHARM!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by cedusett
It can be done. Brake, Throttle and Clutch all at the same time. It's called Heel-Toe Shifting.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

Originally posted by z33saru
the reason for me getting a rental with manual is so i can practice driving stick to where i am comfortable enough to where i dont think i will end up messing up the Z when i get it.
Wow... u guys have Rental with Manuals? i thought they were all Autos...
Old 05-18-2004, 10:03 PM
phile

What's this talk of rollback? I've only owned 2 manual cars (350Z and RSX-S), and I don't ever roll back on hills. Maybe I'm just good at driving stick? Put me on any hill and if you see me rollin' back, it's because I want to

I notice that alot of manual drivers never rev match. Rev matching is part of my dailty routine. So far I have been to lazy to learn how to heel-toe though. Anyone wanna point me to a nice link walking me through proper heel-toe technique? I know how it works basically, but I'd like to read up on it to get into proper form. Thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 11:19 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Z-INCOGNITO
Wow... u guys have Rental with Manuals? i thought they were all Autos...
Really... I researched arduously for a rental agency that rented manuals (so I can teach my g/f, NOT on the Z ) and no dice. Must be b/c of the cost of clutch wear or something... (although I've heard of people that have rented MT in the BA before... and they just happen to be UNABLE to provide me with a company name...).

Quick Reply: How do you go uphill from a stop in MT?