Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just got my car!! They drilled holes in the bumper! What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 05:00 AM
Zboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RobJames
Your post woke me up. I just called me salesman to make sure no one drilled holes in my bumper. He assured me that he was looking at it on the showroom floor, and it is free of holes. He agreed to shepherd it through shipment tomorrow or Wednesday without letting anyone drill holes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think I got a good dealer.
I would be surprised if they drilled hole on that car Rob. I told them countless times before the car came not to install the front license plate holder.

PS. Please post pics of that Z once you get it.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:41 AM
RobJames

Yeah, he said that most people have ordered without holes, you just never know if some car prep is going to get hole happy with the drill. I think I'm okay. They have the $ now, so you should be able to get your deposit. Thanks again. I'm going to take a hundred pics to post when I get it.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:41 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Default Re: Just got my car!! They drilled holes in the bumper! What should I do?

Originally posted by gmoneyr1
I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas of what I should do about this issue:

I'd told the dealership several times not to drill holes in my bumper for the front license plate bracket..... They did it anyway and now I'm pissed. I almost walked away from the deal but decided against it. Now I think I should push to get a new bumper installed. I don't think they'll like that idea but screw them! For $36k I think I should get a nice new looking bumper. What do you think?
Old 10-08-2002, 06:09 AM
Rocket2023

yeah, I had to bail after about 30 minutes or so...Had a sick little girl at home and mom was getting weary....

Here was the look I got when I said I was going out for a little bit..

Catch up with you next time for sure!
Old 10-08-2002, 06:14 AM
RobJames

Rocket,

Have you noticed any power increase with the K&N? Have you read any claims re power increase. What about exhaust note difference. How would you describe it?
Old 10-08-2002, 10:30 AM
SunsetZ

Cleveland must be worse than Columbus. I see plenty of sports car around here that have no front plate. I am glad my dealer had no problem leaving off the front plate for me. I am not worried about not having one. If other states require only the rear than why do any states require it? Photo tickets? No tag, no ticket.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:45 AM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Originally posted by 350zSATX
gmoneyr1 i can't agree any more with you!!! The Krispy Kream Doughnuts that just opened here in San Antonio has keeped cops in a LOOOOONG Line
I think we have 3 Krispy Kream locations so the cops are spread out all over town. I think they get free doughnuts over there at KK so they don't have time to be worried about cars with no front license plate.

Sorry to hear you get pulled over alot for that. I guess the more you drive the more they'll see ya.. I like the long drives in the country much better than the city (bumper to bumper) drives. Although, driving in the city tends to get ya more attention. I guess that could be a good thing
Old 10-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Z33Fan

New bumpers are available from Nissan for $250, unpainted. Throw in the cost of prep, paint, and install, and it's gotta be less than $500. I'd try to get the dealer to order and finish a new one for you, or just install the bracket and get another one ready. that way, you could always just switch to the non-bracketed one when you wanted to (if you've got that kind of patience and wanted to do that).

Sounds lame, but I've already taken huge rock chips and scratches on my original, and I'll be ordering a backup soon, so I can keep re-working bumpers as they get trashed. I've got a hook-up with a body repair shop, and they've committed to painting for free if I buy the paint, so it's worth the effort for me.

Guess I kind of got off-topic, huh? Try to get the dealer to replace it.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:13 AM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Originally posted by Z33Fan

Guess I kind of got off-topic, huh? Try to get the dealer to replace it.
I thought they were more expensive. I'm sure they'll replace it now. What's $500 to them when they'll loose potential car sales for pissing me off? I haven't had one good thing to say about that dealership since I got my car. They had better make me happy real soon because I'm sure they have already lost at least 10-20 auto sales on my bad experience alone.

Word travels fast when you're unhappy and driving the most popular car on the planet. I'm sure they'll replace the bumper.... They said they would. The bottom line is they should have asked me before drilling the holes. I would have signed whatever leagal document they could come up with to release them of liablilty. After all, it's me who would get the ticket.....
Old 10-08-2002, 12:39 PM
Old Skooler

Very glad to hear you got resolution on this, Glenn. Your car is too beautiful too have two big holes on the front, not to mention those half-crescent scrapes. Catch at the next meet, bro. Maybe I'll try those mini-burgers then....

Matt
Old 10-08-2002, 02:02 PM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Originally posted by Old Skooler
Very glad to hear you got resolution on this, Glenn. Your car is too beautiful too have two big holes on the front, not to mention those half-crescent scrapes. Catch at the next meet, bro. Maybe I'll try those mini-burgers then....

Matt
Yeah Mat,

It was nice to meet ya and you'll have to try the 'Bar' burgers next time.. They're great! I'm pleased that the dealership is going to replace the bumper. It really is the only right thing to do. They said for me to just let them know when a good time would work for me. I think they want to try and fix it first then if I don't like it they'll replace it. I'm pretty sure I could save them the time right now because I won't like it until I have a 'new' bumper.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:14 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Originally posted by gmoneyr1
Yeah Mat,

It was nice to meet ya and you'll have to try the 'Bar' burgers next time.. They're great! I'm pleased that the dealership is going to replace the bumper. It really is the only right thing to do. They said for me to just let them know when a good time would work for me. I think they want to try and fix it first then if I don't like it they'll replace it. I'm pretty sure I could save them the time right now because I won't like it until I have a 'new' bumper.
Glen,

Glad to hear that they will resolve the problem to your satisfaction. When I see you next time, you should be a happier man. In the mean time, take you Z for a hill country drive on your day off. I'll take couple curves for you this Saturday.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:50 AM
ariZona

Default My dealership replaced my bumper...

I had the same issue a month and a half ago. After 9 months of telling them not to screw on the front license plate bracket, the service manager dropped the ball and forgot to tell the tech's who prep the car. However, Arizona has no front license plate law, so it really shouldn't have ever become an issue. My dealership thinks it gives them good advertising, and they do it on every new car, which is stupid, cause most people take of the dealership's crappy license plate frame and trash it, anyway. My dealership, though, was great about it, and ordered me a new bumper, which was just painted and installed 2 weeks ago. It also looks much better without the holes and scrape marks they put on the bumper putting on the plate frame.

Bottom line: Even though you tell them, it doesn't mean it still won't happen. My salesman and sales manager BOTH told the service manager not to put on the front plate bracket (like 4 hours before they did the unthinkable), but he was too lazy to tell the techs who actually do the work. The only way to ensure it doesn't happen it to try to be there while they prep your car. Otherwise, even if you have told them till you are blue in the face, it could still happen (even if accidentally). Congrats on getting them to fix/replace yours.....

ariZona
Old 10-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Rocket2023

Default K&N Filter - changes?

RobJames

Could just be me but yes, I do notice some difference. I am at 750 miles on it right now so, I haven't really laid the hammer down but..it seems to wrap up to 4K RPM faster and with adjoining speed as well. At idle no change, at higher RPM a little bit in terms of sound. Sounds a little wetter.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:56 PM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

I think I saw a posting that said a new bumper (factory painted) was only around $500. Seems as though they paid more to repair your bumper than it would have cost them for a new one. Oh well, I'll give them a chance to repair mine but if I don't like it they will be buying a new one for my car... They won't be able to bribe me as far as the survey goes.. NNA will hear the truth and that's that..
Old 03-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Humpa

Angry Bumper Holes

Hi All....

Just joining the boat! Picked up my new Z the other day, and yes, holes in the bumper! $#@!

My dealer seems concerned with the Nissan Survey as well and I think I may use that to my advantage! It just sucks! I'm from PA and we have no front license law either....nor do they in Tennessee (where the dealer got it from)......

I just don't understand.....

Wes
Old 03-12-2003, 09:35 PM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Default Re: Bumper Holes

Originally posted by Humpa

Just joining the boat! Picked up my new Z the other day, and yes, holes in the bumper! $#@!

I just don't understand.....

Wes
Trust me Wes,

I feel your pain. My dealership ended up fixing and repainting my bumper after one mention of that 'Satisfaction Survey'. I don't think they want anything bad making its way back to NNA. Just tell them that you're not at all happy with the holes and that you won't be able to give favorable feedback on that survey do to this issue. They'll cave in.... good luck

Gmoneyr1
Old 03-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Brando222
Ziologist

Here in California they don't bother you about the front license plate. Meter maids in SF do though, when I used to live there I got 2 $25 tickets. Nissan is aware we don't want the holes drilled though, it's entirely your dealers fault. I got the Pre Delivery Inspection Checklist included with my car, and one of the checks clearly reads:

IMPORTANT: Consult with Sales Department. Install front license plate mounting hardware/bracket at customer request. Otherwise, place hardware in vehicle for future installation.

Quick Reply: Just got my car!! They drilled holes in the bumper! What should I do?