Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just got my car!! They drilled holes in the bumper! What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 05:29 AM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my car!! They drilled holes in the bumper! What should I do?

I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas of what I should do about this issue:

I'd told the dealership several times not to drill holes in my bumper for the front license plate bracket..... They did it anyway and now I'm pissed. I almost walked away from the deal but decided against it. Now I think I should push to get a new bumper installed. I don't think they'll like that idea but screw them! For $36k I think I should get a nice new looking bumper. What do you think?
Old 10-07-2002, 05:34 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I don't know if we have a choice anymore, since a front license plate in required in Texas. But good luck if you can get them to fix it. I don't want a front plate either, it ruins the look of a car!
Old 10-07-2002, 05:49 AM
BrainStorm

Just go ahead and order a new bumper. If you're ever in a front-end fender bender, you have an extra bumper lying around.

Also, in California, front license plates are required, but if you don't have one, the police normally won't stop you just because of that.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:56 AM
BillyV

I would recommend that everyone who is awaiting their car to send e-mails to the salesman, sales manager and service department manager requesting that they NOT install the front license plate frame.
Even though they are required in most states,most of these guys understand that they ruin the look of the front of the car. I've gotten written responses from my dealership guarenteeing me that one will not be installed on my Z when it arrives. While that is not fool-proof and some service department guy may whip out his drill before anyone gets to him, at least there's some ammunition to have if you need the dealership repair it.
Just a thought......
Old 10-07-2002, 06:31 AM
lee2464

Did they actually drill holes all the way through the bumper, or are they the pre-drilled points identifying where the holes should be drilled? Not sure if all know that the front bumper comes from the port with two small indentations where the holes will be drilled if needed.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:34 AM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

I did send email to my internet sales manager about this issue but there seems to have been a lack of communications on his part (with the guys in the service area). I know he's not going to be happy when he finds out that it happened while he was off work. Especially since he promised me that it wouldn't happen.

My car arrived on Sat. and my internet sales manager was not at work that day.. However, he still should have made sure that the info. was documented on my sales order form so that everyone would know reguardless of when the car arrived.

I know they are not going to want to replace the bumper but I'll make enough of a fuss about this so that no one else will ever have to worry about the same thing happening to them. At least not at this dealership (South Point Nissan).
Old 10-07-2002, 07:20 AM
6kLaunch

Originally posted by lee2464
Did they actually drill holes all the way through the bumper, or are they the pre-drilled points identifying where the holes should be drilled? Not sure if all know that the front bumper comes from the port with two small indentations where the holes will be drilled if needed.
The bumpers have two small starter holes from the factory. As mentioned above, make sure they drilled the holes before you go off on them.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:21 AM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Originally posted by 6kLaunch
The bumpers have two small starter holes from the factory. As mentioned above, make sure they drilled the holes before you go off on them.
They did drill thru the 'starter' holes but they were asked not to do so. Trust me, the starter indentions doesn't look half as bad as the holes that are left there after it as been drilled out.

I just spoke with them they had the nerve to tell me that the car wouldn't have passed inspection without the front plate bracket on the car. That's BS because the car doen't even have license plates yet so what would a cop actually see? Nothing! I have another car that I've been driving for 4 years and it doen't have a front license plate but seems to have no problems passing inspection every year.

I'm not done with them on this issue just yet. They will compensate me either with free maintenance services or a new bumper.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Grey Matter

Default Re: plug it

Originally posted by crawdaddy
someone posted a site that makes plugs to fill the holes. The plugs were designed for the porsche but should work for other models as well as long as the color is correct.

It may have been VQ who posted it check with him.
www.bumperplugs.com
Old 10-07-2002, 11:44 AM
RobJames

Your post woke me up. I just called me salesman to make sure no one drilled holes in my bumper. He assured me that he was looking at it on the showroom floor, and it is free of holes. He agreed to shepherd it through shipment tomorrow or Wednesday without letting anyone drill holes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think I got a good dealer.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:49 AM
2003z

if your car is cs, fill them with aluminum colored silicone. IT was a little dark on my silverstone but would prob match cs pretty well.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:58 AM
RobJames

I thought SS was darker than CS?
Old 10-07-2002, 07:05 PM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Default They agreed to fix/repair my bumper...

Today I went down to the dealership and spoke with the General Sales Manager. I let him know how displeased I was with my pre-oerder due to the bumper issue. He tried to tell me that it was the law to put the bracket on all cars. He was more helpful only after I told him that people approach me with questions about the car and the service that I received during the purchase process.

He changed his tune and said that he wants me to be happy with my purchase and that he'd do whatever it takes to keep my business. He then agreed to replace my bumper if they could not have it repaired it to my satisfation. I don't think they will drill holes in anyone elses bumper from now on. Now I'm happy again
Old 10-07-2002, 07:08 PM
Zay

way to go gmoneyr1! When all else fails give'm hell!!! Good for you.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:20 PM
Rocket2023

Default Hey - that is great

Met you Sunday at D&B. I had the other PPW from South Point.
Man, I am glad to hear those gents stepped up and made sure you were taken care of.

great news!
Old 10-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Ohio350z

Default Cops in Ohio will bust you

I live in the land of Laser radar detectors which every local police department has in Northeast Ohio. Their favorite target for sighting the laser is the front liscense plate which is required by law. I guarantee you that if you drive by the cop without your front plate you will get puled over and if he is not in the mood he will probably tow the car if you can't put your plate on before he finishes writing you the ticket.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:44 AM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Default Re: Hey - that is great

Originally posted by Rocket2023
Met you Sunday at D&B. I had the other PPW from South Point.
Man, I am glad to hear those gents stepped up and made sure you were taken care of.

great news!
Hey buddy,

I remember ya.... I'm glad that South Point did the right thing also. They were trying to side step the issue at first but they really didn't want me to be unhappy with my experience at their dealership. After I told him that I'd waited over 8 months only to be let down in the end he seemed more willing to work with me. All is well now. Look forward to meeting up with you again. You took off before I got a chance to say "see ya". I'll catch you next time.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:51 AM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Default Re: Cops in Ohio will bust you

Originally posted by Ohio350z
I guarantee you that if you drive by the cop without your front plate you will get puled over and if he is not in the mood he will probably tow the car if you can't put your plate on before he finishes writing you the ticket.
Glad that I don't live there. Cops here could care less. There are enough speeders to keep them busy. Having Krispy Kream doughnuts in town probably helps also....lol

Quick Reply: Just got my car!! They drilled holes in the bumper! What should I do?