Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Final Stats

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 06:41 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Are these Nissan numbers, or independently sourced? Let us not so quickly forget the wonderful new Q45 that was supposed to run under six seconds according to Nissan, but was tested by every mag at closer to seven.

Old 06-10-2002, 07:11 PM
2003z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only part I don't like is the 53/47 weight distribution. From the beginning Nissan promised a perfect 51/49, which would shoft to 50/50 during corner transitions.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:19 PM
olzilver

Unhappy #'s

I really hope the numbers are better that this lot. 5.5sec.. Christ, that's a let down. There's still some time left. I've got my fingers crossed for 5.2 & 300+. Damned if I'm gonna rationalize this info. I'm disappointed. May cancel if it's true even though the car is a beautiful design. I don't much care if people look at me. I just want the thrill of great acceleration and handling together. OK! LET'S HEAR IT!! FLAME ON!!
Old 06-10-2002, 07:27 PM
Zonedogg

you do realize there is no other car at the base level price range that can outrun the z that is worth anything? and with maybe 1500 worth of bolt ons you could be pushing 320-330 hp and sub 5 sec 0-60 and mid 13 1/4 mile... those times for a stick NA car is remarkable, just think what kind of numbers that could do with a supercharger or turbo...
Old 06-10-2002, 07:29 PM
infinite z

What else can you get (foreign that is) for this price with this kind of performance?

Geez, all I know is my '97 Stang goes 0-60 in 8.4 seconds. I know I'm gonna be happy as hell to be driving this Z! I put down my deposit in January of 2001, when all we had was pics of the concept car! Get this car for it's price vs. performance and it's style and dependability.

Last edited by tbcz; 06-10-2002 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:32 PM
tbcz

Originally posted by 2003z
The only part I don't like is the 53/47 weight distribution. From the beginning Nissan promised a perfect 51/49, which would shoft to 50/50 during corner transitions.
You just have to corner faster now.

Note: make sure G-Force fish are well-fed before attempting.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:38 PM
nizl

I too am a little let down, even though I doubted it would ever get over 290. I was looking for a 0-60 in 5.2-5.4 range. Still, these numbers are close statistically.

All I will say is I hope by not tweaking the engine to its limits, we get a more reliable car. I am willing to trade 10 HP for something that's not in the shop all the time. Let's hope the Z lives up to this end of the deal.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:49 PM
roberto350z

id be willing to bet anyone $20, (payable on paypal) that some one magazine will test 0-60 in 5.2 by the end of the year. I mean, someone got 5.9 for the altima for crying out loud. Somewhere, someone will find a nice sticky track , buy aftermarket rubber and just DUMP the clutch. The way my Ill be driving MY Z, ill be lucky to get 0-60 in 6.5.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:59 PM
nizl

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
The way my Ill be driving MY Z, ill be lucky to get 0-60 in 6.5.
C'mon, drop that clutch, baby! ;-)
Old 06-10-2002, 09:07 PM
raceboy
Banned

Keep in mind that the official Porsche 0-60 number for the Boxster S is 5.9 seconds and in realitu it's about 5.4. Hopefully the Nissan official number is 5.5 and the real thing is about 5.0-5.2. Since it's the Boxster S they are shooting for maybe they are reporting their numbers the same as well. They know people are watching since the SE-R Spec V an Q45 so I am sure they won't dissapoint here.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:22 PM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more important note:
You must realize that a car is slowest in its first few thousand miles. An engine gets much stronger with some age (within reason and if it is well taken care of). I think if it is 287 and you dyno it in 40,000m you will be getting much closer to 295-300. A tight engine is not a fast engine. Thats why the factory numbers are always high. My Porsche 968 is rated at I think 6.2 0-60 by Porsche but Car and Driver tested a year old car at 5.6.
I was hoping for better, but the 3 extra hp I was hoping for will not make a difference.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:26 PM
olzilver

Thumbs down add-ons

I don't care what you can ADD-ON to the car. I'd buy because of what you get. I want a car that is stock that gets the job done. Price aside, you don't have to add-on a ton of extras to have a great car. If I wanted to spend extra $, I'd buy something that nobody thought was fast and ADD-ON to it. You guys with this ADD-ON stuff sound like you'd buy the new Cobra with it's supercharged engine(that makes it so it CAN compete with other cars because it's a POS) or put something on a pick-up truck to make it sound louder. If the Z is a great car, it ought to be because it a great car, not because of all the crap you can do to it after you buy it. NISMO SHMISO. Great cars are great because of what they are, not because of what you can do to them. And if Nissan decides to come out with another TT in the US, they're going down the same trail they went before and fell on their faces for doing so. It will all get too expensive again. If they'll just give everyone a great car at a great price, that runs like hell, and is reliable they'll hit the bullseye. Damn, I feel better. (just my humble opinion....)
Old 06-10-2002, 09:32 PM
jgrier

Cobra's are far from being a POS my friend, the engines are hand
built by two people who have to sign off on the engine, but it is
American..........
Attached Thumbnails Final Stats-clint-z.jpg  
Old 06-10-2002, 09:33 PM
ZZtopp

Although we may have less HP than hoped for, the torque numbers are actually higher than expected. I think the mags will flog this car get at least 5.2 0-60.

There was that one C&D test of the Z32 than managed a 5.0, but most other tests in the early 90's brought the car it at around 5.3-5.7. Nissan has always claimed that the 350Z will be the fastest z ever, and I'm willing to bet than an average of several road tests will show this to be true. Regardless of 0-60 times, this car will no doubt prove itself, in stock form, to be a match for many sports cars priced much higher. With a few after market mods, forget about it.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:47 PM
3rdpower

Default hmmm

Doesn't those horsepower numbers keep in line with the Japanese limit on marketing? Probably the same thing we saw on the R34... 287 does not always equal 287 on the Dyno. :P
Old 06-10-2002, 09:49 PM
SeedyRom

Originally posted by 2003z
Nissan NEVER promised a perfect 51/49 and in fact in my articles with SportZ Magazine I left it open that the number could change as the car went through testing. Parts get rearranged and materials can change which affect the weight. Sometimes it's a trade off too...you might switch a percent over but gain stability from an upgraded suspension componenet...as an example.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:50 PM
SeedyRom

Originally posted by bobbyz
One more important note:
You must realize that a car is slowest in its first few thousand miles. An engine gets much stronger with some age (within reason and if it is well taken care of). I think if it is 287 and you dyno it in 40,000m you will be getting much closer to 295-300. A tight engine is not a fast engine. Thats why the factory numbers are always high. My Porsche 968 is rated at I think 6.2 0-60 by Porsche but Car and Driver tested a year old car at 5.6.
I was hoping for better, but the 3 extra hp I was hoping for will not make a difference.
You're kinda right. But the cars are broken in before they are sent to any testers...break in numbers on new cars to be at or near their peak are VERY low nowadays. Usually around 1,500 miles for internal parts to wear properly and be efficient.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:00 PM
SeedyRom

Originally posted by JmanZ
Well... if what you're saying is true, and it would stand to reason that it could be, maybe the stats I had been told originally will be the final numbers. I won't feel so bad then... haha (not that I feel bad now that is)

Do you mind if I ask who you work for? Your message, if I read it right, is written from the perspective of someone that works for Nissan.

If you'd rather not say in a public forum, you're welcome to PM or email me. I will keep it secret if you'd rather.

-j-
That's just it, there are NO final numbers yet. That's what I'm trying to get across...

It's really a moot point though as a few horsepower and lb/ft of torque wont make THAT much of a difference in the end (though marketing will tell you otherwise). We all are in the ballpark I'm sure it's just down to Nissan Engineers making that FINAL decision on A) ECU mappings and B) Final materials (which determine weight and balance). It's not done yet...this July 3rd embargo is funny because it's not so much to stop information that exists from coming out, it's to stop SPECULATION because the numbers just aren't there yet. Ask 20 people inside Nissan and you'll get 15 of them that have seen a memo that says XXX number....but that doesn't mean it's what's going into the car, it's just what was on a memo.

As for me, I do not work for Nissan. I have many, many friends inside the company. Really though, I'm just a Nissan fanatic...I've done everything from hang out with Mr. K at conventions to cleaning up the Nissan Museum (pics on my site). On top of that I am a moderator over at 350ZForum.com as well. However, I also write for SportZ Magazine...so I play a delicate balancing game in what I can and can't say. You can get a ton of info from the Zcar.com guys that I can't speak of, but it has to be with a grain of salt. There are a few over there that have great sources...others do not. My goal is to keep misinformation at a minimum and to get out information when it SHOULD be given out. Maybe a hint or two along the way too

Last edited by SeedyRom; 06-10-2002 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:04 PM
jgrier

and your latest hint would be SpeedyRom?
Attached Thumbnails Final Stats-clint-z.jpg  
Old 06-10-2002, 10:27 PM
SeedyRom

Originally posted by jgrier
and your latest hint would be SpeedyRom?
The most truthful answer I can give you is that I do not know. There are three sets of numbers I have heard (two of which are mentioned here already). Two of the three are most likely possible numbers depending upon the final configuration. If I had to guess, and it IS only a guess I'd say this current set at around 286-290 with the 53/47 is going to be the closest. We'll know soon.

Quick Reply: Final Stats