Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The Z is VERY uncomfortable!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 06:38 PM
lexus33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
I wish the only thing I was experiencing was discomfort.

I've driven my share of track worthy cars, but to me, these seats can be painful. Like I said, the levels of discomfort varies with different people. For some, it's probably unbearable and to others it may feel like their living room couch.

The Z can jar me around all day for all I care cuz I love it. However, this back sh*t hurts so I'm going to find a solution.

Wuss

YES exactly. It has nothing to do with the bumps or anything like that. The actual design of the seats are HORRIBLE. I just sat in it to run to the store and now I notice it just sitting in it. I am sure everyones shape will dictate how bad, but for me it is bad. I know sports cars are like this and it is worth is but they are much worse than others I have sat in. Hope the bladder works!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:40 PM
04_silverstone

i love the ride, the seat are pretty comfy to me, i was on a 7 hour trip to the keys this last saturday and i honestly felt the car was very comfy!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:44 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

The ride is rough as a sports car should be, gives you the feeling of connection to the road. I was [primarily] driving an SC400 before acquring the Z, and the comfort factor was like night and day between the two. If you don't like the ride characteristics, a Z highway run through the twisites is probably out of the question for you, huh?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:32 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My previous Mazda Protege (2001) had awful seats with zero lumbar. It was the only car I've ever sat in which killed my back in as short as 20 minutes.

I find the Z seats quite comfortable. After my Protege experience, I made damn sure to take a long test drive with the 350 before committing.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:00 AM
lexus33

Originally posted by yobri
The ride is rough as a sports car should be, gives you the feeling of connection to the road. I was [primarily] driving an SC400 before acquring the Z, and the comfort factor was like night and day between the two. If you don't like the ride characteristics, a Z highway run through the twisites is probably out of the question for you, huh?
I guess you still don't get what myself and some others are saying. Let me spell it out one more time. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RIDE QUALITY!!!! It is the design of the seat. It is horrible and does not have any lumbar support or are nearly wide enough for a decet sized guy. The engineers need to go back to the drawing board on the seat design in up coming models for sure. I did not buy the car for comfort however so I don't really care and will do what I need to get by. I am just stating a fact. Then again this is what makes a 40K car different from a more expensive car. Nissan can still have a GREAT sports car and put in some comfy seats without driving the price up that much.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:46 AM
tiswicked

I think the Z is actually pretty comfortable. I am 6'4" and 190 lbs. I traveled twice for 15 hrs each and was very suprised by the comfort of the z seats.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:50 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by lexus33
I guess you still don't get what myself and some others are saying. Let me spell it out one more time. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RIDE QUALITY!!!! It is the design of the seat. It is horrible and does not have any lumbar support or are nearly wide enough for a decet sized guy. The engineers need to go back to the drawing board on the seat design in up coming models for sure. I did not buy the car for comfort however so I don't really care and will do what I need to get by. I am just stating a fact. Then again this is what makes a 40K car different from a more expensive car. Nissan can still have a GREAT sports car and put in some comfy seats without driving the price up that much.
Sorry for not accurately responding to your thread.... the seat design isn't too bad for me. I had something like 8 or so car rentals last year (Neons to Lancers to Cavaliers to LeSabre) and those had VERY uncomfortable seats... granted they don't cost 40 grand, but rental cars are typically utilized for long distance driving, etc. Talk about a sore back...

I agree that there should be some option for lumbar support, but I guess the cost-cutting can be felt there amongst numerous other places. Besides the design of the seat, I'd have liked the upholstery to at least match up to my Civic beater.... I actually caught a hangnail in the seat one time...

My dad had a lumbar support pillow in his old Mercedes 300SD... this was a time before lumbar support became a standard luxury option... that might help your back some
Old 06-17-2004, 08:45 AM
fillup

I agree with Lex on this. the ride is fine the interior size is fine but the seats are to narrow and the intersection between the top and bottom of seat feels very hard and misplaced. I wonder if this is related to size. I am 6-3 and 237. Are all the other people complaining on the large scale? BTW I love my ZR and I understand the trade offs of owning a sports car.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Jetpilot718

Wow, you guys are old farts! j/k

On a side note, the only thing that stops me from makling 2.5 hour + trips is my bladder. In the Z, every bump reminds you that you have to pee. In my previous car (Infiniti I30), I could make such long hops with no problems from down below.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:13 AM
maserom

I agree with the statement it is not comfortable. i'm 5'9" and 175, my lower back kills me after a long ride. However the 04 seats are slightly better with an additional height adjustment for your butt! That made a great improvement, dam wish i had an 04!!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:20 AM
lexus33

Originally posted by maserom
I agree with the statement it is not comfortable. i'm 5'9" and 175, my lower back kills me after a long ride. However the 04 seats are slightly better with an additional height adjustment for your butt! That made a great improvement, dam wish i had an 04!!
My 04' has no such adjustment. Just two power buttons on the right side which control the back part forward and back and the seat forward and back. There is nothing else, and my car has everything on it. Or atleast I though, lol
Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Nothing

Sports cars aren't met for "big boned" people... lmao! Start hitting the treadmill hard... 45 minutes a day. Decrease calorie intake by 500 per day.

N.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:43 AM
maserom

I sat in an 04 that had 2 adjustments on the left side of the seat, opposed to the one turn **** on 03's.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:18 PM
shopdog

My 04' has no such adjustment. Just two power buttons on the right side which control the back part forward and back and the seat forward and back. There is nothing else, and my car has everything on it. Or atleast I though, lol
You got gyped! There should be two ***** on the outside of the driver's seat. The one toward the front raises/lowers the front of the seat, the one toward the back raises/lowers the rear of the seat.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:24 PM
lexus33

Originally posted by shopdog
You got gyped! There should be two ***** on the outside of the driver's seat. The one toward the front raises/lowers the front of the seat, the one toward the back raises/lowers the rear of the seat.
Bro that is what I just said. You just retyped what I wrote. He said there was a height adjustment along with these two buttons are there is not and I have a loaded 04' with no such adjustment....I do have a roadster, are they different?

Nothing, I am not sure if the "big boned" comment was directed to me but if it was I am FAR from that.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:48 PM
mplc

I took mine to an upholstery shop. They shaved a 1/2 inch of the factory foam from the bolster and seat then replaced it with a softer foam. It helped but it it still uncomfortable after awhile, just not as bad. I also bought a piece of foam that covers the seat from top to bottom and use it for long trips. I am working on the perfect size, i.e 1" or 2" thick and the width and length. When I know what works best, I will have it covered with material. That way I can use it whenever I choose to.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:16 PM
E.F. VaBeach

lexus33,

The early rodsters only have the one **** (front/thigh height) on the left side, later productions have the two. I also have an early roadster with the single ****.

Trust me, do the inflatable lumbar insert (be sure to put either a piece of cardboard or fiberboard between the seatback spring and the bladder so it inflates outward toward your back as the thread recommends) and then see how it feels. I'm 6'-3 1/2", 200 lbs, and it made all the difference in the world.

The problem it doesn't solve is that the accelerator pedal is too close to the driver compared to the left foot dead pedal. For us big guys, this static assymetry creates lower back discomfort over a long period if you don't shift around in the seat regularly to relieve the uneven pressure created by a straight left leg and a bent right one.

Small price to pay for a great car. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:22 PM
lexus33

Originally posted by E.F. VaBeach
lexus33,

The early rodsters only have the one **** (front/thigh height) on the left side, later productions have the two. I also have an early roadster with the single ****.

Trust me, do the inflatable lumbar insert (be sure to put either a piece of cardboard or fiberboard between the seatback spring and the bladder so it inflates outward toward your back as the thread recommends) and then see how it feels. I'm 6'-3 1/2", 200 lbs, and it made all the difference in the world.

The problem it doesn't solve is that the accelerator pedal is too close to the driver compared to the left foot dead pedal. For us big guys, this static assymetry creates lower back discomfort over a long period if you don't shift around in the seat regularly to relieve the uneven pressure created by a straight left leg and a bent right one.

Small price to pay for a great car. Hope this helps.
Bro thanks so much! I am going to do it for sure. I just got back from work right now after 1.5 hrs in traffic. My back is damn killing me!!!!! Big help bro thanks!
Old 06-17-2004, 05:26 PM
HokieZ

Originally posted by jam350
Sorry your Z is uncomfortable. As another reply pointed out, the fit varies from one occupant to another. Ingress and egress are a bit awkward at times, as you'd expect with any low-slung sports car, but I find my seating very comfortable, both around town and on long hauls.

I have so much fun driving it that the only time I seem to notice what's happening at butt level is when my right elbow turns on the seat heater by mistake.

Hope you can find a way to make it work.

Happy Zing!
That's certainly the case. It may suit taller drivers more (which I happen to be), but getting in and out of that joker in a parking lot should I happen to park next to someone can be a sight to see (or so I'm told).

Heh, my right elbow continuously opens the little storage area. Guess I have pointy elbows.....
Old 06-17-2004, 05:34 PM
shopdog

Bro that is what I just said. You just retyped what I wrote. He said there was a height adjustment along with these two buttons are there is not and I have a loaded 04' with no such adjustment....I do have a roadster, are they different?
I have the roadster (touring) as well. Mine has the two ***** I described as well as the two switches for electrical motion described by you, making the seats 6 way adjustable instead of just 4 way like yours. Build date was 4/04, which may make a difference.

Quick Reply: The Z is VERY uncomfortable!