Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Splash Guards a MANDATORY Option???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 09:19 PM
WashUJon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Splash Guards a MANDATORY Option???

Ok, guys. I could use some help here. I was at a dealer last night about to put down an order for a Z. I was told that the splash guards are now a mandatory option! Is this BS or what? The manager said that ALL Zs ordered from this month on have the splash guards installed at the factory. Is this true? Who ever heard of a mandatory option. That sounds like an oxymoron to me. It might sound silly, but I get insulted when a salesman tries to screw me out of a measly $100. I know its not much, but its the principle.

Any info on this? Has anyone ordered this month? I personally don't care for the splash guards and I don't want them on my car. I know I can take them off and then try to plug the holes, but why should I bother paying for them and bother going through the work to take them off if I don't want them?

Ugh. Its always the little things that put the kinks in the machinery.

Sorry to rant and I'm sorry if this is a minor issue to some of you guys. I'm going to get another quote tomorrow, so I'll ask that dealer about this, but it seemed like total BS to me.

Thanks, folks...

-Jon
Old 10-08-2002, 09:29 PM
integraowner

Default Anyone without splash guards comment?

I got the splash guards to protect my vehicle, and heck, the vehicle behind me too. I consider them mandatory, especially since I think they make the car look better.

Maybe nissan found the car to be prone to chipping or something due to debris thrown up on cars without the guards?

Can anyone without the splashguards comment? Do you wish you had got them?
Old 10-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still an option at NissanDriven.com.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:33 PM
WashUJon

The salseman and manager both told me it is a MANDATORY option. Its still listed as an option but I MUST purchase it because every Z will have the splashguards installed at the factory - that is their claim. I know its an option, but they are saying I MUST purchase it because the car will just come with them. The manager even showed me his magical order book. lol... (I almost laughed at him)
Old 10-08-2002, 09:44 PM
unho

You know he is lying. It is only mandatory so he can make extra cash... Damn I got cynical after I bought my Z
Love the Car Hate the Finance Manager.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:44 PM
InternetABYSS

buy em then sell em...if thats all your getting screwed on consider your self lucky

Happy ZZZZZZing
Old 10-08-2002, 09:49 PM
RxO

Default Que?

Originally posted by WashUJon
The salseman and manager both told me it is a MANDATORY option. Its still listed as an option but I MUST purchase it because every Z will have the splashguards installed at the factory - that is their claim. I know its an option, but they are saying I MUST purchase it because the car will just come with them. The manager even showed me his magical order book. lol... (I almost laughed at him)
Have them show you the memo from NNA stating this. If a specification change takes place there is usually some notice.
Sounds like the sales rep. needs 100% for some type of award!
(another almost real gold chain).
What's next, undercoating/ scotchgard before you can drive it off the lot?
Lots of other dealers in the sea of Z.
Try fishing for one that likes your bait,
As is.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2002, 02:30 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CS Performance to be ordered by dealer tomorrow (10/10/02) - I placed my order 2 weeks ago and DO NOT have splash guards - -
Old 10-09-2002, 05:03 AM
westpak
SFZCC

They are not mandatory, it's just their way of forcing you to take options so they can make more money. I would get them anyway they add to the look and save your paint, just let them know that you know they are full of ****.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:11 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Splash guards only have $20 dealer profit built in (list $119, invoice $99).

Surely there is some other reason for them to be telling you that. I don't believe them, but surely they aren't giving you a hassle over $20.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:46 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Dealers have a way of trying to screw you out of every penny they can. I seriously doubt there is any mandatory option. That's a contradiction in itself.

I ordered 9/30 and did not have to order mine with those things.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:47 AM
joeandcarol2

Tell your friendly dealer to stick his splash guards where the sun does not shine and go to another dealer. They are not mandetory.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:50 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Splash guards only have $20 dealer profit built in (list $119, invoice $99).

Surely there is some other reason for them to be telling you that. I don't believe them, but surely they aren't giving you a hassle over $20.
This is exactly why I bring this up. I can't fathom why they'd try to screw me on something so minor. I was hoping people would have some info that would shed some light on this. It just seemed damn weird. Especially when the guy shows me in print that they are a "mandatory option". Of course, that print did NOT show the model of the car for which this is a mandatory option, nor did it show the year or any other info. He just pointed to the "mandatory option" box that said "splash guards" in it. I looked at him like he thought I was the dumbest SOB in the world and he got a little rattled.

They even tried to tell me that the 6 speed was a $1500 option!!! I almost threw a fit when he said that and I immediately called him on the BS. Then he walks out while saying, "oh yeah? I'll check on that." Sure. Right. He walked around the corner, picked his *** and then came back with, "oh, you know it IS an option, but I already included it in the quote". The quote was right on the money for MSRP, but these guys were something else. They have a good reputation in my town, too. Go figure.

EDIT - They were saying that the splash guards are mandatory on ALL OCTOBER and later orders. Anyone have an October order?
Old 10-09-2002, 05:55 AM
VR3

Who's your dealer??
Old 10-09-2002, 05:56 AM
sage

It's B$.

I just ordered my Z from Bluefish (Dan Z) 2 minutes ago. No "mandatory" splah guards.

If it were me, I would cancel everything and find someplace else and buy. You have just learned the ethical standards that dealership uses, and you would be a fool to use them. Think about what else they might try and do.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:24 AM
WashUJon

I didn't place any order with these guys. I'm not THAT dumb. lol...

I just wanted to see how nuts they were. I'm already calling other dealers in the area and I've been talking with a couple in the last couple weeks. This dealer was Fergus Nissan in Skokie. Don't go there with your guard down.

EDIT - Thanks for all of the responses, guys. I do appreciate it.

Last edited by WashUJon; 10-09-2002 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:53 AM
Cazzz Z

Default I got No Splash Guards.

Now I wished that I had gotten them, they are on order, but they have been back ordered since the first week of me having my car, & on top of that, if they are not put on at the port, the dealers are having a hard time of lining them up properly, so I am told that they might not be able to get them in until someone comes up with a template diagram on installing them after they leave the port.

I am just waiting, got mine the last week in August & still no signs of Splashies, & my color is pretty dark, I would say that I need them.
Attached Thumbnails Splash Guards a MANDATORY Option???-treecysoloasml.jpg  
Old 10-09-2002, 07:27 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by WashUJon
This is exactly why I bring this up. I can't fathom why they'd try to screw me on something so minor. I was hoping people would have some info that would shed some light on this. It just seemed damn weird. Especially when the guy shows me in print that they are a "mandatory option". Of course, that print did NOT show the model of the car for which this is a mandatory option, nor did it show the year or any other info. He just pointed to the "mandatory option" box that said "splash guards" in it. I looked at him like he thought I was the dumbest SOB in the world and he got a little rattled.

They even tried to tell me that the 6 speed was a $1500 option!!! I almost threw a fit when he said that and I immediately called him on the BS. Then he walks out while saying, "oh yeah? I'll check on that." Sure. Right. He walked around the corner, picked his *** and then came back with, "oh, you know it IS an option, but I already included it in the quote". The quote was right on the money for MSRP, but these guys were something else. They have a good reputation in my town, too. Go figure.

EDIT - They were saying that the splash guards are mandatory on ALL OCTOBER and later orders. Anyone have an October order?
They are still full of it, don;t fool yourself into thinking they wont screw you for 20 bucks, since they are not marking up for limited availability they are trying to squeeze every penney they can.

As for the 1500 MT option, it is that much if you are adding it to the Touring model because it also comes with the performance model upgrades such as 18" wheels, VDC and tire pressure monitors.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:35 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by westpak
They are still full of it, don;t fool yourself into thinking they wont screw you for 20 bucks, since they are not marking up for limited availability they are trying to squeeze every penney they can.

As for the 1500 MT option, it is that much if you are adding it to the Touring model because it also comes with the performance model upgrades such as 18" wheels, VDC and tire pressure monitors.

I'm ordering an Enthusiast.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:38 AM
WayneTN

After reading these posts, what I think is happening is this. The factory is currently putting splash guards on all cars at some point in the assembly process. The dealer gets the car in and it has splash guards on it whether the person ordered them or not. Then the dealer has a problem. He must either try to milk the buyer to get the extra money (possibly making a customer mad) or agree that they are free since they wern't ordered.

I believe the dealer is just trying to get this money ahead of time so that his customer won't get mad or so he won't have to give them away for free. Then it becomes a bigger situation than just the $20 talked about earlier.

I'd have him show you an NNA spec change in writing - not something he can print up in the back room of the dealership.

My $0.02. Good luck!
WayneTN

Quick Reply: Splash Guards a MANDATORY Option???