Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

"It's just a car"

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 01:35 PM
black zebra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "It's just a car"

Many here have expressed the opinion that it's "just a car." This is usually a response to those who are anxious about damage and abuse. I envy those who can rationalize that "it's just a car." I can't.

My car is my prized possession; it's something that I worry about, cherish, take care of, and want to keep safe. It is a material object that I love. I take care of the inside and outside, and drive it according to experts' advice.

I wish I could relax and say, "It's just a car." But it means more to me than a toaster or a can opener. I ravaged my bank account for this thing and prize it for its beauty, handling, and power.

I know my car is a "thing." But I love it the way I love my home, my stereo, and my guitars.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:52 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Calling it "just a car" is like calling sex "just reproduction".

Seriously, it's not just a car. It's a piece of history. It defines a class of automobiles. It is one of the most recognizable brand names in automotive history.

If you want "just a car", buy a Civic, a Sentra, an Accord....
Old 07-03-2004, 02:01 PM
AceJ587

or a "Rustang".

It all boils down to Money, really...and how much of It you have!
Old 07-03-2004, 02:02 PM
jun14scr

materialistic much?

in the end, it all comes down to just being a car. i mean, yeah, i love it. it's my baby, i bathe it and clean it as if it were part of me... but in the end, it is still just a car. if it gets stolen, wrecked, vandalized, don't take it too faint heartedly. because it is just another possession we have in the world. and we should thank God that is all he took.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Lerxst

Originally posted by jun14scr
materialistic much?

in the end, it all comes down to just being a car. i mean, yeah, i love it. it's my baby, i bathe it and clean it as if it were part of me... but in the end, it is still just a car. if it gets stolen, wrecked, vandalized, don't take it too faint heartedly. because it is just another possession we have in the world. and we should thank God that is all he took.
Ditto...
Old 07-03-2004, 03:56 PM
wildone_106

Thats why they spend billions to advertise and build up the image of cars in our Physce for decades, to the point now where its ingrained to put our self esteems into a mode of transportation.
The reason why "ricers" (or any group) in my example, who go out of their way to make the cars flamboyant, loud, over the top (not just for performance) to express themselves thru it. Think of peacocks who show their feathers to atteact mates, we do the same things as humans with our cars..
And the circle never ends, already I bet alot of people wanna trade in/sell their current Z's for the 305hp version comin, no?
Old 07-03-2004, 04:23 PM
ZBoater

As is most things in life, there are varying degrees on this matter - to some people its just a car, put gas in it and go, and to some it is more important than their wife.

I think that Z owners, for the most part, buy a Z because they enjoy driving - driving in more than just getting from point A to point B - it is an experience to be enjoyed. You buy your car to entertain you while you get from point A to point B.

If driving is a chore or just something you have to do, then spending money on a car is a waste. You can get a reliable, cheap Saturn or Honda, maybe even a hybrid to save on gas.

I had to go pickup something at the post office this morning, and got in the car at 9:00am. The post office is 5 minutes from my house. When I got in the car and looked at the little notice the postman left, it said they opened at 10:00am. Well, I took the "long" way and drove about 40 miles around town and got to the post office at 10:00. Why? Because I enjoy driving. I put the top down, cranked some tunes, and went for a ride.

Am I odd? No. I just love my car...
Old 07-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "It's just a car"

Originally posted by black zebra
I envy those who can rationalize that "it's just a car." I can't.

Its just an expression.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:34 PM
elyliu

i agree... the Z makes any journey on the road enjoyable (except for the pothole filled ones)...

even goin to work is fun
Old 07-03-2004, 05:38 PM
tntitans

materialistic much?

Well said. Count your blessings...
Old 07-03-2004, 07:03 PM
mjg

Talking

dam,
you guys make me laugh. Getting carried away.

Last edited by mjg; 07-03-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Gerry

I agree. I love it and I do worry about every chip,ding, and bug splat, but in the end you have to say that it is just a car and probably in 5 years there will be something out there that I will like more and all the worrying will start over again on the new one.

materialistic much?

Old 07-03-2004, 09:45 PM
350black

It is just a car. What do you guys think that it is, a boat?

I think that what many people mean by saying that it is just a car is that you should not be paranoid about it. If you are paranoid to the point that you can not sleep for fear that someone might be keying it in the parking lot then this is not the car for you. I would be very upset if something happened to my car but I dont loose sleep over it because after all it is just a car. If it were to get keyed I would probably cry, and then I would get it fixed, because it is just a car.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Pusha_Z

Originally posted by 350black
It is just a car. What do you guys think that it is, a boat?

I think that what many people mean by saying that it is just a car is that you should not be paranoid about it. If you are paranoid to the point that you can not sleep for fear that someone might be keying it in the parking lot then this is not the car for you. I would be very upset if something happened to my car but I dont loose sleep over it because after all it is just a car. If it were to get keyed I would probably cry, and then I would get it fixed, because it is just a car.
I couldnt have said it any better