Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caught in a rainstorm- my car is ruined

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:39 AM
black zebra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught in a rainstorm- my car is ruined

Today I was caught in a rainstorm in my car. There was no sign of rain when I left the driveway, then it started storming hard. I would never drive in the rain if I could help it.

I realize this sounds silly, but this is the first time my car has been driven in the rain and I feel like it has been damaged somehow. Also, when I opened the door to get out, the rain was angled right at my interior and it came in. This almost destroyed me.

I went to my car after the rain stopped and checked the interior. It was dry except for a few spots and I wiped them off. I surveyed the exterior of the car and everything was fine except for a little dirt.

Anyway, I feel badly about this experience so I came to this message board for help. Has anyone vowed never to drive their car in the rain yet was caught anyway? Did you need counseling?

Last edited by black zebra; 07-07-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:57 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

Dude, you're crazy. I don't drive my car in the rain often, but I will if I have to. You're fine. Just don't drive in the snow without snow tires.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 AM
MrLoutish

A little rain won't hurt.

It's been raining 2 or 3 days a week here for the better part of two months. The Z is just fine. If anything it's getting washed more often becuase of the water spots.

You may want to consider counseling.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Masterfulks

I think the Z can handle some raindrops. Perhaps a good washing may be required, but other than that your car can take it.

I thought you were gonna say that you were in a Roadster and couldnt get the top up for some reason.

I get a little water on my door about every time it rains. I just wipe some off with whatever I have handy and it'll be fine.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:36 PM
JimRHIT

are you serious ?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:37 PM
fillup

I had my car filled with rain/hail 3 inchs deep and it works fine, a few drops won't hurt.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:39 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Um, this car was made to be driven, thats why it has a top and windows that go up.
I don't think you are going to get any more out of it when the time comes to sell it by telling the prospective buyer that it never saw rain, and if you plan on keeping it forever, it is not going to look any worse either. Jeesh!
Old 07-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Moroccan_Mole

as much as i like my car, it's just a car. rain isn't going to hurt it.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:47 PM
all_bark

whats the minimum age required to drive in your state?

12?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Lerxst

I don't know about NY, but in Manitoba rain is made out of the same stuff that I wash my car with.

Come winter, I'm putting some winter tires on a new set of rims... and just keep driving. I spent way too much on this car to drive it 6 months a year, less rainy days.

Since your car is ruined, I'm willing to help you out and take it off your hands... what are scrap yards paying these days... $250??? I think I can go $300.

Last edited by Lerxst; 07-07-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:54 PM
black zebra

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I have a beater for the rain and everyday occasions. So I decided my sportscar would be for dry days when the roads are cleaner. I really hadn't planned on getting it sloppy.

Also, I maintain my interior perfectly, using leather conditioner and damp cloths to keep it immaculate. Having to open my door in the heavy rain and let a lot of water in on the seats was very disturbing.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:59 PM
raidersfan

Yes a rainstorm can be both scary and very COol when your on AcID MaN!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:00 PM
ZZtopp

Somebody needs a life.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming from a guy who now has 70 layers of Zaino on his car.....YOU ARE CRAZY MAN!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
VeeTec

I use to have a 93 RX7 that was immaculate, and never driven in then rain. I eventually got caught in it a couple of times, but it was no big deal.

The car was 10 years old and looked brand new, inside and out.

When I got this car I promised myself I would never be that **** again. In the month I have had my Z it has rained 24 out of 30 days, and I mean hard at times. The Z drove great, and cleaned up easily.

Don't stress the little stuff. If you have a problem dealing with it, talk to a counselor. It sounds more like a disorder than just wanting to keep the car in mint condition.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:11 PM
grifferjr

Default Re: Caught in a rainstorm- my car is ruined

Originally posted by black zebra
Today I was caught in a rainstorm in my car. There was no sign of rain when I left the driveway, then it started storming hard. I would never drive in the rain if I could help it.

I realize this sounds silly, but this is the first time my car has been driven in the rain and I feel like it has been damaged somehow. Also, when I opened the door to get out, the rain was angled right at my interior and it came in. This almost destroyed me.

I went to my car after the rain stopped and checked the interior. It was dry except for a few spots and I wiped them off. I surveyed the exterior of the car and everything was fine except for a little dirt.

Anyway, I feel badly about this experience so I came to this message board for help. Has anyone vowed never to drive their car in the rain yet was caught anyway? Did you need counseling?

i have never been judgemental about anyone here on these boards, but i am sorry, i think you might need somekind of reality check here. if you can afford other cars and choose not to drive the Z in the rain that is great but come on, lets be real. The Z is a great daily driver. I do know i need something else for in the snow but thats for safety only, not for damage to the car. In fact the Z is a great car to drive in the rain. Get yourself alone on an empty street, turn the TCS and/or VDC off and have a blast. Overall chill out!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:14 PM
RedBird

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Coming from a guy who now has 70 layers of Zaino on his car.....YOU ARE CRAZY MAN!

Old 07-07-2004, 01:23 PM
roydiculous

Post I feel the same way!

Hey Guys,

I wanted to say that I feel the same way - I thought I was the only one. I have a similar situation to share.

Yesterday the forecast called for cloudy skies so I took the car cover off my car and I was about to pull the Z out of the garage hoping for a wonderful 3-5 mile jaunt down the twisties (can't put too many miles on it).

Well as I pulled out, I notice that the landscaping company blew some chopped up grass onto my driveway so I had to get a blower to blow it back to the side - I don't want grass touching my tires - something about it being organic and the rot could transfer to my shoes - YUCK!

So I finally get out of my driveway and it was a great, cloudy sky. I was in heaven. Then all of a sudden, the sun broke though the clouds!

All I could think about where the Alpha and Gamma rays hitting my car. All that UV deterioration - I think I am going to need to get a new paintjob. Good thing my comprehensive insurance covers natural disasters!

I am NEVER going to drive again except at night with no chance of rain or shine.

Last edited by roydiculous; 07-07-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Montez

Originally posted by VeeTec
I use to have a 93 RX7 that was immaculate, and never driven in then rain. I eventually got caught in it a couple of times, but it was no big deal.

The car was 10 years old and looked brand new, inside and out.

When I got this car I promised myself I would never be that **** again. In the month I have had my Z it has rained 24 out of 30 days, and I mean hard at times. The Z drove great, and cleaned up easily.

Don't stress the little stuff. If you have a problem dealing with it, talk to a counselor. It sounds more like a disorder than just wanting to keep the car in mint condition.
I use to be that way as well, in Dallas it has rained everyday from Late May to now. Our cars are trashed, at first it bothered me but I got over it after a week of it.

Last edited by Montez; 07-07-2004 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Caught in a rainstorm- my car is ruined