Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Manual vs. Automatic in traffic (daily commute)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:43 PM
elyliu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sprmario
When I went to buy my first car in '95 I was fresh out of college and had just gone through my Financial Analyst training classes. I went to the dealer w/ my financial caclulator and they tried all sorts of nutso tricks to get me to overpay. The first offer they made me for financing was an 19.9% interest rate.

EEK 19.9%!!!!

might as well pay it off w/ ur credit card
Old 07-08-2004, 08:51 PM
aaaaa

2 pedals are boring...lol
Old 07-08-2004, 10:04 PM
samw1978

sports car=manual for me....
traffic won't stop me!!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:06 AM
coolblue

Default Re: Manual vs. Automatic in traffic (daily commute)

Originally posted by sprmario
Ok, I was set on an automatic but there's an otherwise perfect manual available w/ everything I want that I could pick up this weekend. I currently own a manual that i've driven for the past 10 years. I've always loved it, BUT I recently started a job that requires a good 50 min commute most days each way in heavy traffic. I anticipate that this will be my commute for at least 18 months and then I'll probably move closer.

For those of you that have manuals and have significant commutes, is it uncomfortable? Do you wish you had chosen an automatic?

This is a really tough decision because I've always felt it was ridiculous to have a sports car and chose to buy an automatic, but then this commute really sucks w/ my manual and this clutch is really forgiving and easy in comparison to other manuals I've driven.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Not sure what kind of car you were driving. But high powered high torque manuel cars are very easy to drive in everything but stop(were you have to stop for more than a second or 2) and go traffic if you drive them properly. These cars can go all day long in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears with a smooth throttle inputs and can pace traffic only using the gas pedal.

If traffic is barley creeping along under 15 miles and hour simply leave it in first. you can come almost to a complete stop in 1st or 2nd and not use the clutch or brake. 3rd is the most useful gear in traffic as you can go from 10- 70. Leave yourself a little extra room, pick a gear and learn how to use the throttle smoothly. After a little practice you should be able to drive in 1st gear all day at many different speeds without bucking the car.

As for stop and go traffic that sucks in any car so oh well.

Btw I commute on the Long Island Expressway 100 miles round trip 5 days a week in rush hour. I will never go back to an automatic again.

Good luck
Old 07-09-2004, 11:30 AM
ElBombastico

i have been thinking of trading in my 5AT for 6MT. i figured that driving 30 miles round trip to work isnt so bad. i can still use the HOV lane to cruise by all the traffic.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:42 AM
zmann

I've had both the 6 speed manual and 5 spd auto w/ sport shift. I traded out of the manual to the automatic ONLY because of problems with my back that shifting (actually clutching) affected. I, too, have a 50 minute commute. I will tell you that I've been more pleased beyond my expectation with the performance from the sport shift. It is almost as good as the real thing, but can't say it is as good. But I would NEVER go to an auto without the option of a manual shift. Hands down, the most enjoyable driving experience is with the stick. Traffic jams never bothered me too much cause for the small amount of time tolerating them, it was outweighted by the hours spent in driving bliss with the manual. All I can say is that you won't be disappointed if you opt for the auto; however, if you can put up with inconvenience of occaisionally sitting in traffic, go for the manual. It is truly the best of both worlds!
Old 07-10-2004, 08:39 AM
NISMO_GUY2003

I've got a 6 speed and about a 45 minute commute to work using a major Chicago highway. Rather than sit on the highway at stop and go, I just take some backroad route to work using some local roads. Takes about the same amount of time and isn't as stop-and-go as the highway in traffic...
Old 07-11-2004, 09:59 AM
ScottyR

I am a newbie here, but I did buy the Touring model. Not that I wanted an auto but it was the only way I could convince my wife that we "needed" the car.

I was in the dog house for selling her Z3 Roadster and this a sacrifice I had to make in order to get the Z.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:13 AM
uberfaybk

6mt won't be too much trouble because the vq35 is so torque-ey. i go to ucla and i come home every friday around 4:00 pm (massive rush hour traffic on the 405). at speeds varying from 0 to 10 miles per hour, i keep it in 1st gear and i never have to press the clutch unless it's a complete stop. and even at very low speeds, the engine just doesn't wanna stall and keeps pushing. btw, it takes 2 hours to make the 36 mile drive home from school (granted it's only once a week) but i have no regrets whatsoever.

edit: it takes about an hour to an hour fifteen minutes to drive a 6 mile stretch on the 405 before i transfer highways.

Last edited by uberfaybk; 07-11-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:07 AM
sprmario

The 405 near the 10 is a nightmare.

Anyway thanks for all the comments. I ended up getting a manual. It gets in next week and I'm very excited!

Originally posted by uberfaybk
edit: it takes about an hour to an hour fifteen minutes to drive a 6 mile stretch on the 405 before i transfer highways. [/B]
Old 07-11-2004, 03:51 PM
ISH

Originally posted by desiZ
i had an AT all my life, and with this car, there's nothing more fun than a REAL manual 6 speed gearbox ... i drive 20 miles one way to work in horrible 405 traffic in LA, sometimes its annoying, but the fun of shifting is undescribable...

I agree 100%. I drive my 6spd in NYC traffic all the time and it doesn't even bother me anymore. All my previous cars were automtics and I don't think I'll ever go back. Yes it's annoying at times, especially when traffic is moving at an average of 2mph but the rewards on the open road are amazing. This is my first stick and now that I think about it I would have kicked myself in the head if I would have gotten an automatic (no disrespect to all those with auto).

Let's face it there are many little annoyances in the Z (tire noise, engine noise, stiff suspension, rattles) but for god's sake its a sportcar!!!!!!! Why not put up with one more little annoyance (shifting) and enjoy all the excitement this car can offer.