Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Manual vs. Automatic in traffic (daily commute)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 09:49 AM
sprmario

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual vs. Automatic in traffic (daily commute)

Ok, I was set on an automatic but there's an otherwise perfect manual available w/ everything I want that I could pick up this weekend. I currently own a manual that i've driven for the past 10 years. I've always loved it, BUT I recently started a job that requires a good 50 min commute most days each way in heavy traffic. I anticipate that this will be my commute for at least 18 months and then I'll probably move closer.

For those of you that have manuals and have significant commutes, is it uncomfortable? Do you wish you had chosen an automatic?

This is a really tough decision because I've always felt it was ridiculous to have a sports car and chose to buy an automatic, but then this commute really sucks w/ my manual and this clutch is really forgiving and easy in comparison to other manuals I've driven.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:56 AM
SungNamZ

Can't comment on the manual, but have had the 5AT for 18 months, 27,000 miles. It is sort of the best of both worlds. On long drives it is in the AT mode. For city / local driving, I enjoy the "Tip Tronic / Sport Shift".
Old 07-08-2004, 10:08 AM
dkny_boi

Albeit i don't have to commute 50min a day, I do drive my manual everyday and to me anyways, it's fun. I've been on vacation in larger cities though, where i'd have to drive manual in heavy traffic for up to an hour everyday... it did get annoying now an then, but everytime i sit in an automatic car, i long for a manual.
So personally, i put up w/ the inconveniences now an then because i know i wouldn't like it with an auto. (i had to drive an auto for the past 2yrs and it drove me crazy)
Old 07-08-2004, 10:12 AM
desiZ

i had an AT all my life, and with this car, there's nothing more fun than a REAL manual 6 speed gearbox ... i drive 20 miles one way to work in horrible 405 traffic in LA, sometimes its annoying, but the fun of shifting is undescribable...
Old 07-08-2004, 11:24 AM
longbowe

I used to have a 7-mile commute (or thereabouts), all local. Stop-and-go is annoying, but it would've been annoying even with AT. I just looked at it as more opportunities to rev up in first gear. And I wished the commute would be a little bit longer or have longer stretches between stops.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:24 AM
AzianToby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in almost the situation as you... I didn't think it was right to buy a sports car and have it in auto... But in the end, I went with the auto touring. I figure in the long run, the stick will only become an inconvience. I don't regret getting the auto version at all and it was worth every penny
Old 07-08-2004, 11:30 AM
sprmario

Arrggghhh, Tough decision. I just got approved for a car loan at 4.49% which I am happy with and I'm approved for enough to buy either the Enthusiast Manual or Automatic. I just need to make a decision. There's a CS Auto that is on a lot I can get or a SB Manual that is also available. Ideally I'd get the Silverstone but SB and CS are close behind and I don't care that much about the color as long as it's one of those three. I think i'm going to take the manual and auto for a test drive one more time to help decide.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:45 AM
SSZVirginia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 100-mile commute that ends in bumper-to-bumper traffic in DC. Occasionally the shifting gets annoying but I wouldn't trade the manual transmission for an automatic.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Aggro_Al

I've got the 5AT that I drive daily in SF Bay Area traffic. Originally I was going to get the 6MT because I thought that the 5AT would have less performance than the 6MT. I'm glad that the dealer got me to try the 5AT. I have the same performance without the manual clutch.

My 2 cents

If after driving both cars and you like doing the manual shift thing, stick with the 6MT. If performance issues are the only thing holding you back from the 5AT, get the 5AT because both cars perform equally.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:05 PM
kjh176

Originally posted by sprmario
Arrggghhh, Tough decision. I just got approved for a car loan at 4.49% which I am happy with and I'm approved for enough to buy either the Enthusiast Manual or Automatic. I just need to make a decision. There's a CS Auto that is on a lot I can get or a SB Manual that is also available. Ideally I'd get the Silverstone but SB and CS are close behind and I don't care that much about the color as long as it's one of those three. I think i'm going to take the manual and auto for a test drive one more time to help decide.

Thanks for the feedback.
Don't forget to negotiate financing with Nissan!!. I had a 4.25% loan all lined up with an outside bank and Nissan beat them by offering me 4.24%. Initially Nissan started out with 9% financing, to which I literally laughed at them, then threw the 4.25% loan approval form in their face (It was a good feeling, but not as good as writing a check out in full for said vehicle).

Oh, and I bought a base model after driving auto my entire life. I agree with everyone else...I didn't feel right buying this sports car in an auto version, plus it's alot more fun working the gears (but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong).

Good luck brohem
Old 07-08-2004, 12:42 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by kjh176
Don't forget to negotiate financing with Nissan!!. I had a 4.25% loan all lined up with an outside bank and Nissan beat them by offering me 4.24%. Initially Nissan started out with 9% financing, to which I literally laughed at them, then threw the 4.25% loan approval form in their face (It was a good feeling, but not as good as writing a check out in full for said vehicle).
I presented the information for my credit union for financing (4.25%) and the girl at the Nissan finance dept, said, "hold on, let me check if I can get you a better rate..." Well she found a lender that offered 3.99% which really worked for me. Be sure to have your APR offers lined up before trying your luck with Nissan's finance dept. though
Old 07-08-2004, 12:50 PM
afr0puff

I've wanted to chop my clutch leg off several times on the cross bronx approach to the GWB. My "normal" commute isn't too severe, so I would buy a 6MT again.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:59 PM
elyliu

they throw a ridiculous 9% APR at me too, i laugh and started walking out....then they gave me the 3.99%....

about the commute, i commute 35 miles each way in LA. The commute is 60 minutes on average each way. I don't even notice the shifting.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:01 PM
sprmario

If they can beat 4.49% I'm all for it. The Fed raised the fed funds rate up .25% so that probably accounts for the major difference. My credit isn't 100% sparkling... I had a little tax issue w/ the state of CA 6 years ago and it won't roll off for another year. My Fico scores average 730 though which is solid. I have a game plan for this Saturday for my negotiations. Going to have a print out of the edmunds reports and i'll have my financing and I'll have a few other things w/ me in a folder. Last time I went in last month I was quoted $1500 above invoice before even asking anything about price. I'll start there and work down. I don't really want to pay more than $500 or so above invoice but I am willing to pay up to $1000 above. i'm way too excited.... need to take a valium before going over there so that it's not too obvious how much I want the car.

Originally posted by yobri
I presented the information for my credit union for financing (4.25%) and the girl at the Nissan finance dept, said, "hold on, let me check if I can get you a better rate..." Well she found a lender that offered 3.99% which really worked for me. Be sure to have your APR offers lined up before trying your luck with Nissan's finance dept. though
Old 07-08-2004, 01:03 PM
sprmario

When I went to buy my first car in '95 I was fresh out of college and had just gone through my Financial Analyst training classes. I went to the dealer w/ my financial caclulator and they tried all sorts of nutso tricks to get me to overpay. The first offer they made me for financing was an 19.9% interest rate.

Originally posted by elyliu
they throw a ridiculous 9% APR at me too, i laugh and started walking out....then they gave me the 3.99%....

about the commute, i commute 35 miles each way in LA. The commute is 60 minutes on average each way. I don't even notice the shifting.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:59 PM
EL Diablo

I have no regrets getting the 6MT.
In fact I traded my 5AT Touring for it.

This is a sports car. Yeah it can suck being caught in traffic, but
when I am not in traffic this car is awesome.

My advice, Get the 6MT you will have no regrets.

Last edited by EL Diablo; 07-08-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:15 PM
mofoz

sports cars should be manual. I hate gridlock as much as the next guy, but auto cars are so boring now. Even my moms 530 with tiptronic is boring. no rev matching, it doesnt respond the same. i dont know. whatever you choose, you will be happy.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:34 PM
theonetheonly

I drive in bumper to bumper traffic everyday (i live in an urban area) but I can live with it since traffic openings are so much fun. I drove auto for 11 years before this, so I am new to manual and I wouldn't go back.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:29 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

I had the same decision to make when buying my car. I told myself that if I decide to go w/ an AT, I wouldn't get a Z. I knew I wouldn't be happy with it. So rather than buying something I'd get annoyed with, I'd simply get a car that I wouldn't mind being AT, like a sedan or something.

I ended up getting a Z and of course I got a stick. It used to be my daily driver (got a commuter now), and at times, it really sucked in the traffic. But for all the times I had to suffer, it was worth every second just to be able to shift through the gears when the roads were open. Not once did I regret getting stick.

My commute is only 30 minutes each way and rarely is it ever really bad. If my commute was longer though, I definitely would have gotten an AT (it just wouldn't have been a Z).
Old 07-08-2004, 05:03 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I was lucky. The dealer let me have both for a day each. It was the only way I could be sure.

6 speeds baby !!

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Automatic in traffic (daily commute)