Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should I sell my Z??????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 09:19 AM
jcr847

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I sell my Z??????????

Although when I first got the car about a year and a half ago I absolutely loved it, that love has worn off and I often even find myself resenting it. I am a college student at a school where having a car is difficult but possible if you want to pay to put it in a garage. I will be a sophomore next year and there is possibility I will take my z (or any car I have) down to school next year.

Possible senarios...
1: Keep Z, save cash, take it to school
2: Keep Z, save cash, let it sit at home for another 9 months
3: Keep Z, blow cash on mods, take it to school
3: Sell Z, buy another car, take that car to school
4: Sell Z, save cash from car, buy something else next summer

Basically I'd love to have a car at school but it isn't a necessity. I don't make payments on the Z so didn't need a job last year at school but will be getting one this year regardless of what I choose (i have way to much free time not to). If I were to buy a new car I would want another sports car and most likely one with a bit more luxury and ultimately more expensive (i.e. m3 vert, s4, nsx). I would prefer something with 4 seats and a removable roof but the extra seats aren't a necessity. This new car would cause me to spend some of the money I have saved and make me need a job at school for spending money and possibly a small payment. So what it really comes down to is should I be responsible and save money, blow it on mods and never get it back, or blow it on another car and hold a bit of it due to the new car's higher value?

I'm really struggling with this and would appreciate any insight or experiences you have. Thanks
Old 07-11-2004, 09:28 AM
theonetheonly

I say go with senario number 1, a hot car in college is always a plus...I guess it depends on ur college...if it already has many hot cars u won't really stand out

But if u really want to be responsible, sell the car and spend the money on tutition...I had to sell my 91 Integra to cover my expenses....my debt was running high since I did two degrees.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a hot car in college is the target for idiots who love to key cars!
Old 07-11-2004, 09:35 AM
jcr847

Originally posted by theonetheonly
I say go with senario number 1, a hot car in college is always a plus...I guess it depends on ur college...if it already has many hot cars u won't really stand out

But if u really want to be responsible, sell the car and spend the money on tutition...I had to sell my 91 Integra to cover my expenses....my debt was running high since I did two degrees.
That is really what I'm leaning towards because there are very few people with cars at school. The school is right in the city with no school parking so anyone who has a car generally just parks it on the street. I would put it up in a garage since there is one less than two blocks from my dorm next year. If I were to bring the car to school I wouldn't actually use it that much and would take it home in the winter.

I have no loans at school so there really isn't any responsible choice spend money on. If I didn't spend any cash it would ultimately end up just chiilin for another year in the bank/stock market.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:36 AM
350zroadster

was really glad to have a car during college. There are times when I ended up being the designated driver but if you have the Z that shouldn't be a problem.

You could also consider off campus housing which will save money on rent, have a place to have a party, and parking space
Old 07-11-2004, 09:36 AM
jcr847

Originally posted by Reggi914
a hot car in college is the target for idiots who love to key cars!
I'm not afraid of that as much as it getting stolen. I would have it in a garage so the risk of it getting keyed would be low.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:38 AM
jcr847

Originally posted by 350zroadster
was really glad to have a car during college. There are times when I ended up being the designated driver but if you have the Z that shouldn't be a problem.

You could also consider off campus housing which will save money on rent, have a place to have a party, and parking space
I want to live off campus but my school makes all freshmen and sophomores live on campus so I'm stuck in the dorm next year.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:05 AM
350zroadster

well that sucks, but in that case I suggest you keep your Z. You'll want it next year when you go off campus
Old 07-11-2004, 12:30 PM
CatastrophZZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let's not take the car to college if there seems to be problems... use your knowledge to figure it out yourself, we wouldnt know! we dont live there, at least i dont. say... if it's a ghetto place, hell im gonna drive my Z there. if you've been there long enough to know that place is low of crime, drive it!
Old 07-11-2004, 01:32 PM
jcr847

Originally posted by CatastrophZZ
let's not take the car to college if there seems to be problems... use your knowledge to figure it out yourself, we wouldnt know! we dont live there, at least i dont. say... if it's a ghetto place, hell im gonna drive my Z there. if you've been there long enough to know that place is low of crime, drive it!
I go to Georgetown, so its in DC, not exactly the best city, but in the extremely rich part of the city. Honestly though, I'm not the type of person to let stuff like that bother me. Material things can be replaced, that's why there's insurance.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:43 PM
theonetheonly

I went to school in downtown Detroit...I was worried about my Acura at first....but then I see BMWs, Lexuses, MBs and Jags around there all the time....nothing happened to them other than maybe an emblem getting ripped off now and then....but I know some people that have their Neons and Civics stolen...there is a market for parts for those cars.

Also higher-end cars are more difficult to steal so only "good" thiefs will steal them....and the way these "good" thiefs work is that if they target ur car...consider it gone.

I spend a lot time in Toronto...in TO a lot more high end cars get stolen cuz they get shipped to South America or something.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:53 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moved
Old 07-11-2004, 10:14 PM
overlord tom

Being "business minded". I'd say if you really don't plan on driving the car, and you aren't making payments (lucky you!), then do #4 and sell the car while it still retains its value. Put the cash somewhere you can't touch it for a year (like a mutual fund..stock market is bound to go up!). When you are out of school, hopefully you'll get a ~8-10% return. Put that money down on a newer, nicer ride (like a 2005-2006 Z) or better a down on a house. Real estate is the way to go while the market is still good. If you insist on having a car, buy a crappy one and use that the next few years then buy a killer ride when you graduate. Your credit will be better, you'll have a nice pad to bring the chicks back to, and a new car you can drool over (be sure to use the student financing offers). Don't extend yourself now. You have more important things to worry about, like studying. Take it from someone who did it all wrong!

BTW - Cool avatar. That Rick James episode is mine (and all my friends) favorite!

Last edited by overlord tom; 07-11-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:28 PM
dogfish1

Frankly your post is a waste of time. Quite simple, If you like the car keep it; it you don't sell it.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:16 AM
Shift_350gt

dogfish1 if u find it a waste of time, don't read it, don't post.

to everyone here, your stupid response is the actual "WASTE OF TIME"

say something productive or dont' say it at all you troll
Old 07-12-2004, 03:57 AM
earlfargis

Default Re: Should I sell my Z??????????

Let me get this straight. You're in college and you've got a Z with no payments. You pay no tuition for college. You don't appear to work at college to pay for anything (e.g., car insurance). In fact, you are only considering a job because you've got too much time on your hands. Mommy and daddy have deep pockets?

Sure, if you "resent" driving a ~$30k sports car and money is no issue. Yeah, dump it. Heck, you're not eating the depreciation, your parents are. And I assume they'll let you keep the cash value so the cash is found money. Can't beat it with a stick.

But I think you're setting too low of bar for a graduation present. Tell your parents you want a Ferarri. Because after graduation you'll be on your own and cash could get tight for a while. Need to get what you can while the getting is good.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:50 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Shift_350gt
dogfish1 if u find it a waste of time, don't read it, don't post.

to everyone here, your stupid response is the actual "WASTE OF TIME"

say something productive or dont' say it at all you troll
Don't mind dogfish....Every post I've seen him make has been inflamatory and totally off topic. There are punks on every forum, dogfish chose this one.

Regarding the OP's question, I say sell the car. If you've got the financial freedom you say you have, ditch the Z, save/invest like crazy and when you graduate, buy yourself a brand new car. You'll be the only graduate buying themselves a sports car! You'll amaze yourself with what you can do with a goal and a little delayed gratification.

Good luck, and kick @$$ in school.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:23 AM
sprmario

I wish I had these sorts of tough decisions...

1. Keep free sports car while in college.
2. Get newer more expensive sports car while in college for free.
3. Sell car and get nothing.

You don't pay car payments or insurance? i'm sure you won't be paying the cost to park the car either. So what's the problem? You have a 1.5 year old sports car for free and you resent it? but you want to sell it to get a more expesive one? Are your parents just gonna give you the cash if you sell it?

Seriously I don't see where the "problem" or tough decision is here.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:20 PM
MA4

I have regretted selling every car I have ever sold.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:35 PM
jcr847

Originally posted by explortainment
I have regretted selling every car I have ever sold.
That is my concern.

To everyone else making snide comments about the situation, go fck yourselves. Honestly, is it possible to ask a question without people making assumptions about you. I'm not asking for you to lecture me, so don't. Jealousy is a foul quality to have.

For the record this possible purchase/sale has nothing to do with my parents or their assets. Too many people on this forum just can't accept that some young people make/have cash.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my Z??????????