2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell my Z??????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:40 PM
jcr847

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Should I sell my Z??????????

Originally posted by earlfargis
Let me get this straight. You're in college and you've got a Z with no payments. You pay no tuition for college. You don't appear to work at college to pay for anything (e.g., car insurance). In fact, you are only considering a job because you've got too much time on your hands. Mommy and daddy have deep pockets?

Sure, if you "resent" driving a ~$30k sports car and money is no issue. Yeah, dump it. Heck, you're not eating the depreciation, your parents are. And I assume they'll let you keep the cash value so the cash is found money. Can't beat it with a stick.

But I think you're setting too low of bar for a graduation present. Tell your parents you want a Ferarri. Because after graduation you'll be on your own and cash could get tight for a while. Need to get what you can while the getting is good.

Seriously bud, did I mention my parents at all in my post? No I didn't. Did I say that the reason I haveno loans and make no payments is due to them? No. This decision has nothing to do with them so don't assume that it does.

Please keep my family out of the discussion.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:58 PM
sprmario

I've never met a single 19/20 year old that could afford to pay $30k for a car and who is going to school and doesn't have a job. I've met about 50 19/20 year olds who's parents bought them a car. I guarantee you that if you make that assumption you are right 98+% of the time.

My point still stands however. If you don't have payments to make and money is not a concern then I can't see any downside to having a nice car. What's the problem?

Originally posted by jcr847
That is my concern.

To everyone else making snide comments about the situation, go fck yourselves. Honestly, is it possible to ask a question without people making assumptions about you. I'm not asking for you to lecture me, so don't. Jealousy is a foul quality to have.

For the record this possible purchase/sale has nothing to do with my parents or their assets. Too many people on this forum just can't accept that some young people make/have cash.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Paul55100

Car payments/worrying about the safety of your car is that last thing you want in college. You'll have enough stress from exams, papers, etc. Sell the car and buy a practical "college car".
Old 07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
ml2316

the op deserves to be clowned by every single person who reads this thread.

"i'm worried about keeping a z at school, but i wanna buy a new car if i sell it".

"i have no payments on the z, nor do i pay my tuition, but i want to sell the z to save cash... but i want to buy a new car afterward"

??

edit: ok, that was a little harsh... i would keep the z. selling the z to buy a new car makes NO sense whatsoever, and is totally contradictory to all of your reasons for asking the question in the first place (the same applies to blowing more money on mods). selling the z to get cash is kind a f'd up to whoever bought you the car if you don't give that cash right back to them (unless you paid for the car). so keep the z or leave it at home, all the other options make zero sense.

Last edited by ml2316; 07-12-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
wildone_106

I think you need to add another question mark to the title, it just lacks emphasis
Old 07-12-2004, 04:10 PM
jcr847

Originally posted by ml2316
the op deserves to be clowned by every single person who reads this thread.

"i'm worried about keeping a z at school, but i wanna buy a new car if i sell it".

"i have no payments on the z, nor do i pay my tuition, but i want to sell the z to save cash... but i want to buy a new car afterward"

??

edit: ok, that was a little harsh... i would keep the z. selling the z to buy a new car makes NO sense whatsoever, and is totally contradictory to all of your reasons for asking the question in the first place (the same applies to blowing more money on mods). selling the z to get cash is kind a f'd up to whoever bought you the car if you don't give that cash right back to them (unless you paid for the car). so keep the z or leave it at home, all the other options make zero sense.

First off, I paid for my Z cash, so if I were to sell it I would take back MY money. Second, show me where I said I was worried about the car. I'm pretty sure I said that I don't give a **** if the car gets stolen because that's why I pay insurance. I think everyone who assumed that my parents bought me the car should get "clowned on".

Anyways, I already made my decision, no thanks to the majority of the posters in this thread. After a long detail/zaino session today I decided that I love the Z and would inevitably regret selling it. So I've decided to keep the car, mod it on a smaller scale and take it to school in the fall.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:58 PM
peterhong

I know you've made up your mind already, but I was wondering if you did happen to sell the Z, what kind of car would you get if you opted to buy another car and take that car to school?

Also, since you did decide to keep the car, I would definitely take it to school cause back when I was in college, I bought a car in my sophomore year and didn't take it up with me until my senior year. Total waste of having the car I wanted but having it sit in my parent's garage for over a year. Just remember, insurance is there to cover all damage/theft/vandalism/etc... Take it to Georgetown cause driving a Z sure does beat public transportation.

Whatever you ultimately decide...........GO HOYAS!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 06:14 AM
LinkNuc

keep Z, but '88 Aries for School, aries drivers are changing for the better

check out

http://www.apechild.com/gallery/av.php

and select the booya '88 dodge aries clip
Old 07-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Spec_Tacular

First off, I paid for my Z cash, so if I were to sell it I would take back MY money. Second, show me where I said I was worried about the car. I'm pretty sure I said that I don't give a **** if the car gets stolen because that's why I pay insurance. I think everyone who assumed that my parents bought me the car should get "clowned on".

Anyways, I already made my decision, no thanks to the majority of the posters in this thread. After a long detail/zaino session today I decided that I love the Z and would inevitably regret selling it. So I've decided to keep the car, mod it on a smaller scale and take it to school in the fall.
Good choice bud. I understand how you feel kinda I got my Spec V (I know a Spec V is no 350Z) when I was 19 and I am sure a lot of people would think my parents bought it. I woulda looked at a Z if I had something to drive in the winter.

But if you were to sell your 350Z you would not get what you really would want for it at this stage. Good choice and enjoy the car.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:51 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, you need to cut people here some slack. You're about the 10 millionth teenager to come here and ask all of us for input on a decision that doesn't really have anything to do with the Z other than as an assett. It just gets really old, regardless of how you acquired the car.

Additionally, I'll bet there's not one member of this forum that paid CASH for their Z at 19 years old who wasn't given the cash, or at least a majority of it. In the eyes of anyone who worked for or is working for their car, that doesn't give you "I paid cash bragging rights". You are an owner by proxy.

Now if you started working at 16 years old and have been saving every last penny you made for the last 3 years so that the cash that bought the car came from YOUR actions, we all owe you an apology, but given your statements that you have no financial responsibilities and are graduating debt free, it would be very hard to believe, don't you agree?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:40 AM
hokiemax

Hey buddy, I know you already made up your mind but I say keep your Z and take it to Georgetown.

Georgetown isn't like NY city. You will need a car to get around DC/VA/MD and etc.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:49 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im very curious where you got all this money to pay cash for, (not flaming, just want in on the biz) i was only able to pay for half of mine upfront right after i turned 19 and worked hard for a yr to come up with that kind of dough + a paid off trade in.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:35 AM
jcr847

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
im very curious where you got all this money to pay cash for, (not flaming, just want in on the biz) i was only able to pay for half of mine upfront right after i turned 19 and worked hard for a yr to come up with that kind of dough + a paid off trade in.

i was able to do it because i'm cheap. I save all my money, all of it. I've been investing since I was around 8 under the guidance of my great uncle. I have had summer jobs since 15 but the majority of my assets have come from being good at picking stocks. I posted one on here a few months ago in a thread on gambling, artx, bet no one bought it. it was about 1.40 at the time, i sold at 4.02 about 6 weeks ago. stocks like that are generally how I make money and that's how I paid for my Z at 18. When I bought it I could have bought something more expensive but I didn't because I would rather invest.

(fyi i go to school with no loans because my parents have happily paid all my tuitions and for that I am extremely grateful)

To the person that said you need to ease up: Why the fck should I? I posted a question looking for serious answers and all I got were idiots telling me how I am spoiled and ungrateful. My question had nothing to do with money or where i was getting it. I'm sorry but I don't think people should criticize someone based on an assumption that may or may not be true.

Last edited by jcr847; 07-13-2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:57 AM
jcr847

Originally posted by kcobean

\In the eyes of anyone who worked for or is working for their car, that doesn't give you "I paid cash bragging rights". You are an owner by proxy.

Are you serious? Look at my posts, the last thing I give a **** about is "i paid cash bragging rights" I just hope you can see why I became a bit defensive when people starting ignoring my post and talking **** for no reason.

The people of this forum really need to stop their stereotyping of teenage z owners and learn to treat their questions like they would anyone else's

On that note, let's seriously just let this thread die. there is really no point in dragging this one out any further.

Peace
Old 07-13-2004, 11:25 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who actually took the time to read this far should check out the following thread and POST to it.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=82909

These kinds of "what should I do?" posts, along with financing, lease, and "can I afford" type questions should have their own section on this forum....
Old 07-13-2004, 12:59 PM
ml2316

I think everyone who assumed that my parents bought me the car
i acknowledged both possibilities (either you paid or you didn't--read the parenthetical comment), which is the opposite of assumption.

i'm not flaming anyone for being a teenager with a z. just responding to the fact that his questions were contradictory and didn't really make sense. if i had enough cash to buy a z and i was a teenager i'd probably buy one and say f u to everyone who gave me a hard time too.