Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Mounting front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 06:15 AM
brickyardfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mounting front license plate

For what it's worth, I'm not too happy about the way the front license plate is mounted. The license plate mounting assembly looks as if it is screwed into the upper lip at the top of the grill opening. Damned if I want to drill holes into the BODY to mount the license plate mounting assembly. One of the posters here (BILZ Z?, I think) had very cleverly drilled a hole on either side of the tow hook which I take it is through the grill and attached two 3" bolts with wing nuts. A great idea! I believe that he indicated that he was drilling through plastic. I wonder if this has turned out to be substantial enough and if it provides a permanent solution? Unfortunately, I live in Maryland which requires a front license plate. The dealer did say, which I had not heard previously, that the manufacturer can apply for a front tag requirement exemption and that a few specific models, no, not the 350Z, had been granted exemptions in Maryland.

No, I haven't taken delivery of my car and don't expect to see it before January, 2003.

I am curious what others have done.

Tom
Old 10-13-2002, 06:34 AM
brickyardfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer said that it is illegal for them to let me leave with my new car without the front license plate mounted on the front of the car. So, that's why I am in search of a viable alternative to punching holes in the body to mount the damned license plate assembly.

Tom