2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tiptron or e shift stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Aggro_Al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SteveZ33
Aggro_Al,
This is very cool and interesting information. Where can I find the offical Nissan description of the 5AT that states that the tranny indeed uses an algorithm to adapt shift programs? I looked in the sellers brochure and there is no mention of it. Did Nissan publish it on the web somewhere? In no way I'm saying that this info is untrue, because I want it t be ;0) I just would like to see Nissans explanation. Thanks for the interesting reading.
Yeah, Nissan did a **** poor job of letting people know that the 350Z has an ATC transmission. The only mention of it on the Nissan website is when you go into "Design Your 350Z" as you build the car and get into the drivetrain section click on the automatic transmission description and you get a little window saying that it uses an "advanced computer system yaddah yaddah yaddah". BIG WHOOP! It doesn't exactly express the 5AT's performance capabilities. The G35C does a better job of describing the system and the Z has better software. Also, the technology is more relevant in the Z! Since there are almost no professional reviews of the 5AT 350Z most people are unaware of the ATC feature

If I were in Nissan marketing, I would spend some time and money letting people know that the Z's auto transmission is just as advanced as the exotics. But, in their infinite wisdom they decided to downplay it.

Here is an excerpt from Ron Sessions' book "The Story of the New Z" that has a brief description of the Z's auto transmission:

[ ... The 350Z's all-new 5M-ATx 5-speed allows full manual control, and is one of the industry's lightest, smallest, most-advanced full-range autoboxes. Compared to the previous-generation Z's 4-speed automatic, the new transmission is 48.5 pounds (22 kg) lighter, yet offers 52 pound-feet (70 Nm)-higher torque capacity.

Its low-intertia gear train consists of three planetary gearsets, six clutches, one band and a single one-way roller clutch with many of the pieces made from die-cast aluminum. The transmission's direct-control system uses individual actuators to regulate the pressure of each clutch and band and offers synchronized, torque-managed shifts from 1st to 4th gears. A real-time learning algorithm helps the transmission continuously tailor shifting performance to the driver's habits and patterns. A new compact E-Flow torque converter locks up in both 4th and 5th gears as part of a strategy to improve fuel economy. It also features a multi-disc clutch for smoother engagement. New "fill-for-life" ATF means the transmission fluid never has to be changed under normal driving conditions. Nissan is justifiably proud of the work it's done on the Z's automatic transmission and has applied for approximately 100 patents on this gearbox ... ]

As you can see the Z's 5AT is a sophisticated and capable transmission.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:03 PM
superstuddc27

aw sucks!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:22 AM
Aggro_Al

superstuddc27

Check your owner's manual to see if your car has performance and an economy setting. If it does, set it appropriately. The Prelude might have one it's probably just not obvious.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:01 PM
superstuddc27

heh okay. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:21 PM
cehome

Now I don't feel like I'm missing anything by getting the auto instead of the 6 SPD
Old 07-16-2004, 01:54 PM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Tiptron or e shift stuff

Originally posted by Aggro_Al
The most common mistake people make when using the 5AT in manual mode is lifting off the throttle when shifting. When shifting in manual mode keep your foot in the throtttle or accelerate. Lifting off the throttle will cause a lag or real slow shift.
When upshifting always keep your foot on the gas pedal. Downshifting as well, except when you want to drop 2 gears quickly. If you want to go from 4th to 2nd with 2 quick taps of the shifter your foot must come off the gas.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:27 AM
superstuddc27

How come if you downshift two, you gotta take the foot off? but for one downshift, keep the gas?
Old 07-18-2004, 12:13 PM
the7ferret

Originally posted by Aggro_Al
Yes, it does learn your driving style if you have the 5AT. The 6MT is not adaptive.
The 6mt is very adaptive. If your in a good mood then it shifts at lower RPMs and if your having a bad day then it lets you redline to help remove agression.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by superstuddc27
How come if you downshift two, you gotta take the foot off? but for one downshift, keep the gas?
Sometimes, if you double tap at a hight RPM the first shift will bounce you over the rev limiter for a short while. The system won't let your next shift happen until the rev limiter brings you back down. Sometimes, it's just faster to take your foot off of the gas but, it is a judgement call. You can still do the double tap without damaging your engine because the rev limiter will protect you.