Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help!!!!! supra twin turbo or 350z???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 08:38 AM
cyber_x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flyz33 -

If you need a car to drive for a long time, and that you'll be putting lots of miles on, then the 350Z might be the better choice simply because it's new. You'd be starting at 0 (or at least close to 0) miles on the 350Z, rather than whatever miles are already on the Supra.

That having been said, Supras (and also NSXs) are as reliable a sports car as you'll ever find. Some folks make Supras out to be unreliable, but that's entirely untrue. Any car will break if abused, and lots of Supras are heavily abused. People get too happy with the boost, people drag race them all the time, people do clutch drops, etc. That's the only concern I'd have about buying a Supra - it's hard to find one that's been treated well and is in good condition.

All indications are that the 350Z will be very reliable as well. However, no one really knows for sure, because they're brand new and I doubt enough people have racked up significant mileage to tell.

As far as the Supra market, I'm personally familiar with it because prior to my current '02 S2000, I had a '95 Supra TT. It's definitely hard to find a Supra TT 6-speed, but they're out there, and it's far from impossible. For the $26k-$27k you're willing to spend, you can get a 6-speed, and it won't necessarily be a '93 like some say. In general, '97 or '98 6-speeds go for low- to mid-30k (keep in mind that the MSRP dropped significantly for these years), and '93-'95 6-speeds generally cover the whole 20k's range. As you probably already know, there were no 6-speed Supra TTs made in '96.

Overall, they're both excellent choices. If it were me, I'd get the Supra. It's reliable, has great performance, and takes to mods extremely well. The very nice interior and sport roof are bonuses as well. And yes, if something major breaks on the Supra, it'll be expensive to fix - what sports car isn't? But the car is rock solid and that's unlikely to happen unless you (or the previous owner) just abuse the crap out of it. I bought mine with moderately high miles on it, drove it hard another 40k+ miles in less than 2 years, and never had a single thing go wrong. The 350Z, on the other hand, is new and not that much is really known about it, although that's starting to change, of course. It's a great car as well, and I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

Btw, I'm sure you're thinking there's some bias here since I used to own Supra. Well, that's partly true - I am familiar with the Supra and know it pretty well (oh, and contrary to popular belief, modded Supras are still reliable and can easily be daily driven...most start entering garage queen status somewhere between 500-600 hp). I can't claim to know nearly as much about the 350Z, but try to give as fair an accessment as I can.

Good luck! =)

Last edited by cyber_x; 10-17-2002 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:25 PM
flyz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cyberx, your right about the supra prices, whoever said that 93 tt 6 speeds are over 33k is an idiot, i've seen plenty of nice 93-95 in my price range (26-27k). i'm glad you appreciate the supra and i'm going to start the long search for one, I will post pics and let everyone know even though this is 350z website. I still love the 350z but i don't think its right for me, I thought it was but I just can't live without the boost. In the future mabey i'll buy the turbo z(if it ever comes out), or mabey the markV supra

-i'm new to this forum thing, its been very helpful, thanks for everyone comments