Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help!!!!! supra twin turbo or 350z???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 09:07 AM
flyz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help!!!!! supra twin turbo or 350z???

Please help, I've been working a long time to purchase a sports car. I need a reliable everyday driver that is fast. From the many sport cars I could have selected I have narrowed it down to either a 350z or a supra. I am looking to spend about 26-27k if i purchased a supra. I already placed a order for a base 350z but its not to late to cancel. The 350z just has a beefed up maxima engine so i know it is a reliable engine even though it is new design. I know alot about both the cars and I know the supra is much more powerful and I love the supra. But i'm not sure about the reliability of the car, I do know how to take care of turbo's very good but I need a car that will have few repairs needed. I've read that supra's are extremely reliable but also that the turbos and timing belts can go and be very expensive. I am 18 and need a car that will last me through college (about 6 years). And yes my father is helping me to buy the car. Its a very hard choice. Could someone pursuade me either way and why?
i did this same question in supra forums and it was half and half or what people were telling me, the car will be paid for all at once and I do have another secondary car (97 sable) that my parents will let me drive about 50% or the time.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:11 AM
flyz33

Car choices- (i've already ordered 350z base might change to enthusiast or might get a supra instead, please help!)

Most Likely:

1. Toyota Supra Twin Turbo. (93-98) - Price? Need to find out if Toyota dealerships can repair if it breaks and how much, most reliable sport car there is
Final verdict: my new car???
2. 350z- Brand new, but might get too common. Better one coming out later? (TT 350z or TT skyline coming to America???)

Less Likely and Unknown Factors:

94-96 TT 300zx— kinda of old and not too reliable but they are still sweet
Honda S2000- Possibility, they look sweet and are pretty quick-not modable
Mazda RX-8 --- Price? Summer 03’,no
Mazda Rx-7--- everything great but the reliability
RSX type R --- Price? Release? (If it even comes to America)-no
Infinity G-35 Coupe --- Price? This one is pretty interesting, but 350z is better for same price
Subaru Wrx or STI version. Price? Sometime after evo VIII-too many doors
Mitsubishi Evolution VIII- Price? spring 03’-ugly
Saleen Mustang- that is a crazy thought -nope I could never buy a mustang
Camaro SS or Firebird SS- well I don’t think I’d buy a GM

I WILL TAKE ANY OF THESE CARS HAPPILY BUT FACTORS I NEED TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION
1. RELIABILITY
2. INSURANCE
3. FUEL ECONOMY
4. I WANT A 2-SEATER 2-door car
5. I WANT A HATCHBACK
6. rear wheel or all wheel drive
Old 10-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Phi-1002-

That TT Skyline you're thinking about is going to cost about twice what a 350Z Track will cost if and when it makes it to the US.

There is no firm plan for a TT 350Z. It really comes down to what you want after you drive the Z and the Supra. Also, there's a new Supra coming. You may want to wait and see what it's like if you're willing to spend that much money for a used car.

You might end up being disappointed in a year or so when the new Toyotas hit the market. Kinda like the ZR1 owners were when the Z06 came out for less money than they paid for their cars offering better performance.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:25 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once considered a TT Supra, but manual ones are impossible to find and command $35K or more. That's for a 93 model; it'll be ten years old next year.

Pros:
You can get big power very cheaply. Aftermarket is already firmly established for the Supra.

Cons.
The design is starting to show its age, insurance is likely higher for the Supra than the 350Z, a 9-year-old car will start to have nagging little problems that cost money, and your choice of color is basically limited to either red or black. Again, good luck finding a manual turbo version; those command about $33k on average over here in the Northeast. Why pay more for a 9-year-old car than you would for a brand new car?

A better bet for you might be an RX-7. It's a purer sports car than the Supra, which is more of a GT. Manual Rx-7s are easier to find in more colors. They're also cheaper; you can find a pretty good example for $17-24K. To me, the FDs look a lot better. Unfortunately, it's terribly easy to ruin an engine, and you need deep pockets to maintain one.

Z32s are almost a compromise between the Supra and Rx-7. They're plentiful and available, and are about the same price as an RX-7, but can make big power like the Supra. You can get a 96 Z32 for 93 Supra money. Problem is that Z32s are big GTs like the Supra so they won't handle nearly as well as an FD. Plus they've still got good looks like the RX-7.

Perhaps an even better bet is a WRX STi; it's also easy to get a lot of power from them, they're everyday drivers unlike Supra and Rx-7, they're new cars and under warranty. Unfortunately, insurance is real high. Lastly, while they're fast, many sports car guys perceive them to be a 4wd turbo Civic.

By the way, S2000s are quite moddable. You can extract 350HP from the S2000 with a Comptech supercharger package.

Personally, given who you are and what I think you can afford, I would go for a Z32. Good luck either way!
Old 10-14-2002, 11:43 AM
flyz33

Its such a hard choice, i've already called the insurance company and the supra's insurance is less than the z33's, but thats not much of a factor, my parents will pay for my insurance. I love all sports cars and I wish the new supra would come out sooner, i've been driving a slow ugly car for too long. My first favorite car was the z32 but i'm not sure if that would be a good car for me, mabey i should just keep with the 350z. i just wish it was a little faster (faster than my friends camaro ss). I value the z's looks and the warranty i would have with it, but a supra looks even better and will run 12's easily. The supra is a rare car that could have great resale value in the future even after the new one comes out.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:16 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Good reply Daytona, +1 for you.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:26 PM
silvrz5

Infinity G-35 Coupe --- Price? This one is pretty interesting, but 350z is better for same price

Ya right!

g35c is $34,500.00 this is with leather and a sunroof, not to mention more room, longer warrenty,better car, glove box, cig. lighter in the right place, ect ect ect. the g 35c is about a 2 grand cheaper than a 350z.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the NEW Z car. Avoid the used Supra car.

Better Reliability; Fewer Problems; Higher Resale Value; Better Car (modern, new, exciting).

Or you'll just be another boring Supra Owner with mechanical problems.

Oh, and there is always a better car coming out later...

Last edited by Intrepid; 10-14-2002 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:48 PM
m477

Originally posted by flyz33
I value the z's looks and the warranty i would have with it, but a supra looks even better and will run 12's easily. The supra is a rare car that could have great resale value in the future even after the new one comes out.
Yes, you *can* get the Supra in the 12s fairly easily, at the cost of reducing the life of your turbos to about 30k miles. Many Supra owners actually don't mind this, because when they kill their turbos, they upgrade to a large single turbo. However, going single is NOT cheap. If you don't mind dumping lots of cash into your car, and going fast in a straight line is the most important thing, then get the Supra.

However, the 350z won't have quite the acceleration, but you'll be able to beat the **** out of it every single day and it should still be running strong even after 100k miles.

Also, I firmly believe that a 350z would spank a supra or z32 on a track due to its ligher weight, better weight distribution, and (supposedly) excellent suspension.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:29 PM
GameOver

Default Re: Help!!!!! supra twin turbo or 350z???

Originally posted by flyz33
Please help, I've been working a long time to purchase a sports car. I need a reliable everyday driver that is fast. From the many sport cars I could have selected I have narrowed it down to either a 350z or a supra. I am looking to spend about 26-27k if i purchased a supra. I already placed a order for a base 350z but its not to late to cancel. The 350z just has a beefed up maxima engine so i know it is a reliable engine even though it is new design. I know alot about both the cars and I know the supra is much more powerful and I love the supra. But i'm not sure about the reliability of the car, I do know how to take care of turbo's very good but I need a car that will have few repairs needed. I've read that supra's are extremely reliable but also that the turbos and timing belts can go and be very expensive. I am 18 and need a car that will last me through college (about 6 years). And yes my father is helping me to buy the car. Its a very hard choice. Could someone pursuade me either way and why?
i did this same question in supra forums and it was half and half or what people were telling me, the car will be paid for all at once and I do have another secondary car (97 sable) that my parents will let me drive about 50% or the time.

Its an old car but ur gonna be eating muscle for snacks!!!

besides, dont underestimate Toyotas reliability....

350z is a nice car........hmmmm,. gang member, if ur not sure of what to get then you dont really want neither of them. \

Personally I am gonna stick to my '98 GSX until the Evo8 becomes available and til dealers stop marking them up. So til then Ill be paying off my gsx and when Im donde itll be my project car and then Ill buy something else.

I graduated on 2001 and have never had a new car cuz there isnt really any new car that I like so since my graduation Ive had a 2000 civic si, '99 GS-T and now I have a '98 GSX.......Im planning on getting a silver GS-T <my color of choice for 2G eclipse> I saw on a classified. But we'll see what happens.

later gang bangers
Old 10-14-2002, 05:02 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by silvrz5

Ya right!

g35c is $34,500.00 this is with leather and a sunroof, not to mention more room, longer warrenty,better car, glove box, cig. lighter in the right place, ect ect ect. the g 35c is about a 2 grand cheaper than a 350z.
Actually, you can even do better than that. Here is what I'm looking at:

MT Coupe $32595.00
Mud Guards 200.00
Total $32795.00

(includes 18", Brembos, LSD, VDC, heated leather seats, xenons, steering wheel controls, VDC, and a usable trunk!)

The Z I'm considering:

Performance $30969.00
Floor Mats 69.00
Mud Guards 119.00
Total $31157.00

Difference: $1638.00

Grrr, I need to make up my mind. The dollars say the G35C for me is a better buy, but a Daytona Blue 350Z is nice, too...
Old 10-15-2002, 09:08 AM
flyz33

I love the 350z, but i think I like most supra's looks better. I think I will get the a clean bpu supra and wear out the turbo's and eventually buy a single and really smoke everyone. I just love how rare the supra is. and my insurance bill is going to be low(even though i'm 18), i already checked. I am willing to accept the challenge of finding the right one (there are sooo few for sale) and keep up with the maintence. I just love the boost!

-if anyone can change my mind, please feel free to do so.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:11 PM
Zterritory

Looks are subjective. I like the way the Supra looks, but I love the way the new Z looks. IMHO the Supra and the Z32 are starting to show their age. When placed next to the new Z, they look like older designs. The RX-7 still looks great to me, but I'd never get one because of the reliability problems of the rotary engine.

As for reliability, the Supra and the Z are the two most reliable sports cars. Of course, this doesn't take modding into account. If you want something to last 6 years, I don't think modding a Supra is the way to go. I had a 280ZX with over 100K miles on it (I can't remember the number anymore), and I had a 300ZX (Z31) with over 186K miles on it. The stock Z will give you plenty of power, beautiful looks, and excellent reliability. There will also be mods available if you want to go down that path. Plus, if safety is a concern, it comes with more safety options such as side curtain airbags.

When it comes to a new car versus a used car, I'd opt for new because you never know what someone else has done to a used car. Although I've had good luck with used cars (both of my previous Zs were used), if I had a choice I'd buy new.

The Supra has always been a follower of the Z. That is, Toyota always watched the Z and then changed the Supra to keep up. If the Z increased its horsepower, the Supra did it soon after. The Z came out with a 300hp turbo version, so the Supra followed suit. Now a new Z is out, and again Toyota will follow with a new Supra. Personally, I like to go with the leader rather than the follower.

One last thing. The Z has a mystique that cannot be matched by most other cars, especially Japanese cars. Ferrari has it, Porsche has it, Corvette has it. The Supra doesn't have it. The RX-7 doesn't have it.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:29 PM
blur2ed

FlyZ33
After I read that first post, i was like, Holy **** dude! Im in the same situation. Only problem is, Me is, 350z base, or NA 95-96 Supra, or old school NSX.
Im 18, and saving every penny trying to sell my show acura integra for a new sports car. Well, As i got close to getting a Supra, my parents blew up on me. They thought it was stupid of me to get an older car w/o a warranty, and rather get a new car. They dont realize that the money i spend on the newer car can get me an older one and maintenence. I still haven't decided which i will go with when i have saved up evough, but My parents refuse to help me. They will, however, swap insurance with me so I will pay as if my dad drove the supra/350/nsx, and he will pay as if i drove a camry. Either way, Im thinking because of my age, and college time, and work time, i might need to get an older supra or nsx for cheaper payments, so have money to eat/gas/pay insurance. I dont know what financial situation your in, but if you can afford it and will have no problems, get a 350Z, only because Supra's are reliable, but time takes its toll. And plus, rumors of a new supra are around. Go test drive both...the NA supra i drove was Damn BAD!!!
Good luck and keep us updated...Id especially like to be kept up with your situation.
-Kapil (Blur2ed)
Old 10-16-2002, 08:51 AM
flyz33

blur2ed, that is very interesting, the financial situation i'm in is this- the car will be paid for all at once, i don't have to pay for insurance only gas, I would suggest you getting an 93-98 na supra, non turbo supra's are very reliable from what i have read, Supras are so rare and neat, plus i love the endless aftermarket and engine potential, and one more thing the supra has got on the z, the targa top is way better for crusin, i know the convertable z is coming but i think it looks very ugly compared to the hard top. I've seen some NICE NA supras for sale under 20k so you will save money on this one

you can get your na and i'll get the twin turbo and we can race sometime- hehehe

-someone try and convince me not to get a mk4
Old 10-16-2002, 09:00 AM
flyz33

hey if your interested in this topic I posted this same question in supraforums.com and got some critical responses(alot of them)

its found in general chat forums, then general supra forum, its got the same title and I posted that one a week or 2 ago so search through a couple of pages and you'll find it (it should be in the first 3 pages)

btw- i am 99% sure to go with mk4
Old 10-17-2002, 12:26 AM
GameOver

Originally posted by Zterritory
Looks are subjective. I like the way the Supra looks, but I love the way the new Z looks. IMHO the Supra and the Z32 are starting to show their age. When placed next to the new Z, they look like older designs. The RX-7 still looks great to me, but I'd never get one because of the reliability problems of the rotary engine.

As for reliability, the Supra and the Z are the two most reliable sports cars. Of course, this doesn't take modding into account. If you want something to last 6 years, I don't think modding a Supra is the way to go. I had a 280ZX with over 100K miles on it (I can't remember the number anymore), and I had a 300ZX (Z31) with over 186K miles on it. The stock Z will give you plenty of power, beautiful looks, and excellent reliability. There will also be mods available if you want to go down that path. Plus, if safety is a concern, it comes with more safety options such as side curtain airbags.

When it comes to a new car versus a used car, I'd opt for new because you never know what someone else has done to a used car. Although I've had good luck with used cars (both of my previous Zs were used), if I had a choice I'd buy new.

The Supra has always been a follower of the Z. That is, Toyota always watched the Z and then changed the Supra to keep up. If the Z increased its horsepower, the Supra did it soon after. The Z came out with a 300hp turbo version, so the Supra followed suit. Now a new Z is out, and again Toyota will follow with a new Supra. Personally, I like to go with the leader rather than the follower.

One last thing. The Z has a mystique that cannot be matched by most other cars, especially Japanese cars. Ferrari has it, Porsche has it, Corvette has it. The Supra doesn't have it. The RX-7 doesn't have it.

Good luck with your choice!

OMG, whateve!!! Toyota having to follow NISSAN?????

U must be kidding, you got it all wrong.

Nissan leads TOYOTA...how dare you say that!!!

shame on you

I dunno if its just me but u dont know what ur saying.

how many toyotas do you see out there compared to the number of nissans in the street ?????

Its true nissan is catching up on quality but it still hasnt proven itself.

Quick Reply: Help!!!!! supra twin turbo or 350z???