Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Product to defeat Red-Light cameras?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004 | 01:46 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by jcn30127
I suspect that the spray and plastic shields only work when the camera uses a flash...at night or in low light. If there is no need for a flash, I believe the camera can get a good picture of your plate.

My Laser Jammer/Shifter goes off every time I go past one of these cameras. Anyone know why they would have a laser system integrated with the camera?
I don't know about the radar, but mine goes off by the cameras as well.

As for the flash on the cameras, the plastic shield would (should) work no matter if there is a flash or not because it actually distorts the license number if viewed from any angle other than straight on. I am beginning to think that the spray might not work unless the camera was directly facing the license plate to reflect the light. This would be something interesting to try out.

The only bummer thing about the plastic shields is that they are obvious and could easily be noticed by a cop. The spray would not be detectable since it does not distort normal viewing, only pictures.

-Chris
Old 07-27-2004 | 02:37 PM
MadMax76

Originally posted by LBSOHK
thx for bringing back that site with the spray , I was looking for it just the other day... for $ 30 , its worth trying it ... there's a crazy intersection by my house which I keep avoiding , just because its almost impossible to make a turn on green... got 2 tickets few years back ...

and those plastic plate covers are a big no no , I got a ticket few years back while my car was parked , they were clear too...

If you move into the middle of intersection on green your are allowed to finish your turn on red if you didn't get a chance to finish your turn.
Old 07-27-2004 | 02:43 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

I took an old license plate and sprayed it with clear paint and then sprinkled silver glitter on it.

Then I took pictures.

With a flash = glare (but not always a perfect coverage area)
Without a flash = easy to read.

Perhaps the commercial $29 per can stuff works better.

Since my laser detector always warns me (as I approach a camera intersection) I have discovered that I instinctively slow down. Over time I've decided that this (slowing down) was the best solution.

Last edited by JCat; 07-27-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:28 PM
Chicken

Originally posted by shopdog
Seems to me that the better approach is to not try to make it through the intersection on a yellow light.
So when any light turns yellow, you immeditately slam on the brakes? The point is that you try to judge (quickly as you only have a second to really make up your mind as to what you're going to do) whether you should try to stop or whether you could/should go through it. All that stuff you were told about unsafe stops, etc. don't apply anymore. The light looks yellow, you go through the light, but just as you are passing under the light and across the line (two-tenths of a second), it turns red and they got you "running a red." The whole thing is precisely timed. Down to the 1/10th of a second, and the system uses radar/lasers to get you.

You didn't know how long the yellow is (exactly), but it wasn't long enough. Surprise, pay us $341. There have been cases where the yellow was set less than 1/4 of a second too short (according to a "recommended guideline" as to how long a yellow should be, based on the speed limit of the road near the light) and the tickets have been tossed.
My Laser Jammer/Shifter goes off every time I go past one of these cameras. Anyone know why they would have a laser system integrated with the camera?
When you get your ticket, you will see that the picture is of you *before* you cross the line (your car will be right *at* the line). You think, "How the heck did it know to make my picture before I even went across the line?!" The way it knew to take your picture is because it knows that that you're going to "run the light" by calculating the distance from you to the line and your speed.
Old 07-28-2004 | 06:54 AM
Jetpilot718

If you get a ticket from one of these, I'm pretty sure it should be your mission to get some black spraypaint and "modify" the lens. I know it would be mine. Being videotaped/photographed without being notified is illegal, also.

Screw em, if there is no signs saying "You will be photographed if you blow this light", they dont have much to stand on.
Old 07-28-2004 | 09:10 AM
shopdog

Originally posted by Jetpilot718
If you get a ticket from one of these, I'm pretty sure it should be your mission to get some black spraypaint and "modify" the lens. I know it would be mine. Being videotaped/photographed without being notified is illegal, also.

Screw em, if there is no signs saying "You will be photographed if you blow this light", they dont have much to stand on.
Actually, you have no right to privacy in a public space. They can photograph you without having to ask your permission or notify you they're going to do it.
Old 07-28-2004 | 09:34 AM
LBSOHK

Originally posted by MadMax76
If you move into the middle of intersection on green your are allowed to finish your turn on red if you didn't get a chance to finish your turn.

you would think so , apparently thats not the case where I live..
Old 07-28-2004 | 02:51 PM
eazy

So when any light turns yellow, you immeditately slam on the brakes? The point is that you try to judge (quickly as you only have a second to really make up your mind as to what you're going to do) whether you should try to stop or whether you could/should go through it
It's very simple actually. It's not so simple for the speeder to understand though. Forget trying to make your plate stealth. Practice some common sense if you don't want the hassle of a ticket.

When you approach an intersection, you are supposed to slow down slightly-moderately even if the light is green. You aren't supposed to go blazing up to and through an intersection, even though that's what everyone thinks you're supposed to do. You slow down to give the light a chance to do it's thing, and to give yourself a chance to do yours. Since you are at a reduced speed, or already slowing down, if it changes you can easily stop in time. If it changes too late and you don't have time to stop even at a reduced speed, you are obviously far enough into the intersection that you can proceed through before the light will change to red.

When you come barreling up to an intersection at the speed limit, your braking distance is at it's max. Put this intersection on a decline and/or in rain, and your braking distance is increased even more. Combine this with a short yellow light and you're just asking for trouble. If the light changes to yellow and you can't stop because you're simply going too fast, and you decide to punch it and attempt to beat the inanimate object, you will just get a ticket for speeding through an intersection instead. It's a lose-lose situation for no-brained speeders. Try practicing good judgement. It will get you a lot further than masking your stupidity, I mean your license plate. (sorry, I had to throw that in there )

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Last edited by eazy; 07-28-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2004 | 04:44 PM
Chicken

Originally posted by eazy
It's very simple actually. It's not so simple for the speeder to understand though.
I wasn't speeding, a incorrect presumption on your part. I believe it was you boasting about hitting the 159 MPH limiter (everyone know you were just trying to impress the younger members though, and the fastest you've ever gone is five miles under the speed limit).
When you approach an intersection, you are supposed to slow down slightly-moderately even if the light is green.
I see. As opposed to driving with the flow of traffic at the posted speed limit, you slow down? I'll reserve comment.
You slow down to give the light a chance to do it's thing...
Why not just stop at at the green and wait for it to turn red?
...you are obviously far enough into the intersection that you can proceed through before the light will change to red.
One would think, but I wasn't afforded the knowledge of the exact time the light would turn red (down to the tenth of a second), and although it looked yellow when I was going through the intersection, 0.3 seconds before I crossed the line, the light turned red. I should have known and calculated it all out in my head like the machine did.
It's a lose-lose situation for no-brained speeders. Try practicing good judgement. It will get you a lot further than masking your stupidity, I mean your license plate. (sorry, I had to throw that in there )
Try not being an ******* (sorry, I had to throw that in there). Have a nice day.
Old 07-28-2004 | 07:04 PM
NOBI

AWESOME ^
also, hitting your brakes when entering an intersection on a green light is a good way to get rear ended.
Old 07-28-2004 | 07:19 PM
eazy

I wasn't speeding, a incorrect presumption on your part.
I didn't say you were speeding. An incorrect presumption on your part. Even though I quoted you, I was speaking in general anyway.

"I believe it was you boasting about hitting the 159 MPH limiter
Your point? That was your attempt at making me sound like a hypocrite, right? I was just trying to give the easiest and most logical solution to the perceived problem.

I see. As opposed to driving with the flow of traffic at the posted speed limit, you slow down? I'll reserve comment.
It's called better judgement. Some people have it, some people don't.

Why not just stop at at the green and wait for it to turn red?
Why not be sarcastic and totally ruin any chance at an intelligent arguement?

One would think, but I wasn't afforded the knowledge of the exact time the light would turn red
Thats exactly why the lights turn yellow! So you were just crusing along, got out into an intersection, and then all of the sudden yellowRED!! For some reason I'm not seeing that. If you had approached the intersection at a proper speed you would have been able to stop in time. Period. If a light malfunctions you can have your day in court.

I see people blatantly run red lights daily. I have never once witnessed someone run a red light in which the light malfunctioned.

Try not being an *******
Try not getting your panties in a wad, I was just trying to help. I would hate to make you think I'm gloating, but maybe you should be aware that I am a professional driver. Maybe then you would understand why I can get on my pedestal and be critical of your poor public driving.

Good day sir.

Nobi, driving on public roads is a good way to get killed. If someone rear-ends you for showing caution at an intersection, you know damn well who is getting the ticket. I didn't say slam on your brakes for a green light. I also didn't say to hit your brakes once in the intersection.

Geez.

Last edited by eazy; 07-28-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2004 | 07:41 PM
eazy

That is correct, at least where I'm from. To make a left turn against traffic without a left arrow, you must enter into the intersection and wait. If the light turns red and you're still in the middle of the intersection waiting, you have the right of way to clear the intersection. If someone runs the red light and plows into you, the other driver is absolutely at fault.

LBSOHK: How is it like where you live?
Old 07-28-2004 | 07:46 PM
eazy

Did this thread turn into a driving 101 course or what?
Old 07-28-2004 | 08:01 PM
Chicken

Originally posted by eazy
So you were just crusing along, got out into an intersection, and then all of the sudden yellowRED!! For some reason I'm not seeing that. If you had approached the intersection at a proper speed you would have been able to stop in time. Period.
Period? I briefly described the situation before, but... once... again...

This intersection is not like most intersections. It has two lights in very close proximity to one another. As I approached the first light, it turned yellow and there was no question that I was clear to go through the intersection. I doubt I could have stopped if I had tried.

It is the second light (which is approx. 4-5 car lengths after the first light, or seems to be that far, I didn't measure it) which gets you. Although you would natuarally clear the first light (no issues), you are immediately faced with a second light which causes you to make a second quick decision. Should you clear the intersection or try to stop?

A week after I ran the red, I was traveling down the same road and the light turned yellow at a similar time as it did the first time. Same thing, but this time I had to forcefully and unnaturally come to a hard stop (could feel the ABS kick in). If the light had turned yellow a second or two before or after this exact time, it wouldn't have been a question, but a combination of the exact time the light turns yellow and your distance from the light makes it a very odd decision (for the second light). Nornally I stop at yellows and do not try to beat yellows. It is only this one intersection with this double light that got me.

Regardless, people don't have the luxury of knowing exactly when a light is going to turn from yellow to red. I know that you, as a "professional driver", have never gone through a yellow light that's been close. Fact is, they got me on film running a red light and this is just a revenue generator for them, nothing more, nothing less. Some officials in one one county slipped that out (although it is obvious to anyone who's ever been ticketed by these things).

Re: I'm not the one who got ticketed.

You will. Just wait until they install these all over your town. Hopefully they'll add some double lights as well so that you can see what I'm talking about. Not sure where you live, but I live in L.A. and there's 800 lights on each stretch of road. You "approach an intersection, you are supposed to slow down slightly-moderately even if the light is green" here and your stop at green *** will be run over by any of the many SUVs that are tailgating you.

Anyway... I'm just trying to warn others of this scam, but you don't need the advice You're a professional driver, so don't get the spray.
Old 07-29-2004 | 05:04 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

It sounds like BOTH lights should turn at the same time, which is what I am used to seeing. If it is like you say, Chicken, it sounds like a mistake by a traffic engineer or a TRAP.

I have been ticketed for going through a RED once. I swore it had just turned yellow as I went under it. Afterwards I went back and viewed the traffic lights "timing". I swear it was the shortest yellow light I had ever seen. In court, I was 1 of 100....same scenario. (It was a small Georgia town )
Old 07-29-2004 | 05:21 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

jcn30127, I've seen likes like that all over Georgia. Kinda annoying where most places the yellow lasts for about 1-2secs, and other lights it might be 1/2 - 1 sec long.
Old 07-29-2004 | 08:28 AM
AZZGUY

I suspect that the spray and plastic shields only work when the camera uses a flash...at night or in low light. If there is no need for a flash, I believe the camera can get a good picture of your plate.

Yes, some cameras are integrated with speed guns - guns may not be the visible type used by officers - can take your speed for a ticket!! Dont speed going though those camera lights!!!! I did go through one of those camera lights at nite - it was like a bolt of lightening - I was sweating the 3 weeks to go bo to see if I got a ticket. I didn't!! I know the light was still yellow when I hit it - so guess the camera just took a picture of the back seat or rear end of my car! ( Yes , I wa zipping then also! )
Old 07-29-2004 | 08:38 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

anything made to avoid photo radar or red light cameras are strictly a money making scheme.

as a side effect, if a cop sees two cars going over the limit, but sees one has done something to their license plate, who do you think they'll likely pull over?
Old 07-29-2004 | 08:47 AM
tyoung88

I was dinged by one of these cameras about a year and a half ago in Hollywood, CA. Being it my first ticket I payed it and went to traffic school. I did do some research and at the time this is what you can do to avoid the camera fines in CA

1) They require both a picture of the front license plate and rear in order to send out a violation. Therefore, if you don't have a front plate no tickets. In CA front plates are required, however it's a minimal fine, no violation on your record fix-it ticket which is much less than the camera ticket.

2) The front facing picture has to have a good view of the driver's face. Therefore, say you go through the yellow and turn your face or cover it just as the camera goes off you could claim that you had just dropped the car off at a valet or some other excuse. This however is a bit dangerous as it would mean that you would be taking your eyes off the road while going through the intersection.

I'm not sure if the above two options still work as luckily I haven't gotten another camera ticket since the first. Perhaps those of you that have gotten one recently or done some research can confirm or refute my statements.
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:23 PM
AZZGUY

Easiest way to avoid photo radat - get one of those bee-keeper hats with the netting over the face and neck! Doubt that the cam would see a face at all. Cant you see the lock on their face when they view that photo?

Quick Reply: Product to defeat Red-Light cameras?