2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Insurance Emergency!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 08:13 PM
drake3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no insurance expert, but had a friend who was in the same boat as you. Had a couple of accidents, one at high speed and deemed his fault. Many tickets, lost insurance on primary carrier. He had to go to a high-risk carrier, like Geico (I think that was the one who finally accepted him. He pays out the butt, although he is allowed to drive. It has made him a much more careful driver.

Just check around for another carrier, you may have to lighten the wallet. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:20 PM
michael350

# 1 they wont give u insurance cuz you dont have a drivers license.
# 2 when you get it back, your going to have to pay at least 5,000/year
Old 10-15-2002, 08:41 PM
NittoZ
Charter Member #65

The best way to lower your points is to.....STOP SPEEDING! Naw man, I'm just kidding with ya. I feel your pain on the tickets. Many states offer courses even after you have taken a previous course. Just a thought
Old 10-16-2002, 04:48 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I'd forget about the Z for a while. You MAY be able to get a restricted license just to drive to work and back but that's about it. Virginia is pretty tough on speeders and we don't have the Las Vegas to California speedway like some lucky people (check out the world's largest thermometer!)
Old 10-16-2002, 05:35 AM
texlace

Strange post. If you do not now have a drivers license, why do you need insurance?
Old 10-16-2002, 05:53 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by texlace
Strange post. If you do not now have a drivers license, why do you need insurance?
That's what I was thinking.

No offense, Donkey, but it sounds like you're asking for advice on how to get around without a license and that just has bad connotations. If you want the car, buy it and have it flat-bedded to your place, but you sure shouldn't be driving it.

How long is your license suspended?
Old 10-16-2002, 05:55 AM
Killermove

1. You will have to go to a high-risk carrier and it will cost you LOTS of money. That sucks, but you can get insurance.

2. Generally, incsurance co's only check a 3-year MVR (motor vehicle record), but, after three years if you try to switch to normal-risk carrier from a high-risk you will probably have a 5 or 7 year MVR checked. Here's the deal -- you can't get crap for tickets for the next three years (read = no tickets) if you want any chance of not paying through the but for 5 to 7 years. If you are good, you might make it out in three (and if your older -- 25+)

3. DO NOT LET YOUR INSURANCE LAPSE!!! Deal with this immediately (get with another insurance company but DO DO DO shop around!!). If you lose coverage with one company, the other company will as "have you been without insurance for any time in the last 60 days??" and you have to answer YES by law and you'll get screwed even more.

4. Good luck, I hope you have deep pockets.

5. If you do get another ticket (which you won't, because you CANNOT if you want to keep driving at all) HIRE A LAWYER to fight the ticket. You'll pay the lawyer some money but you will probably keep your license, decrease the fine, maybe wipe out the points or even the ticket all together. In your spot, a lawyer on any future tickets is a must.

6. Ten years form now, when all this is behind you and you haven't had a ticket in years, you'll think "wow, I drove like a maniac back then". Beleive, some of us have been there.

Ryan
Old 10-16-2002, 06:23 AM
Ohio350z

Here is what you can do.

1. Go to www.comparisonmarket.com and you can shop auto rates

2. Take a driver saftey class sponsored by your state as it may reduce your points

3. Get a remote laser/radar detector that has laser jamming

4. Get a scanner

5. Oh and drive a little slower and do your speeding on a track. Your tickets probably cost more than the track time

6. If your insurance lapses you are screwed
Old 10-16-2002, 06:50 AM
~~O8>

I use to work for a big Auto Insurance place and basically this is what your in for. Note this applies to California Laws, but it should apply to where you live as well. By law any insurance company has to at least offer you insurance as long as you have a good driving record (1pt or less on your record which equates into 1 traffic violation, whether it be an accident, speeding, illegal turn, etc--if its an accident as long as no one is hurt its still only 1 pt, but if someone is hurt then its a pt but you will no longer qualify to be a "good driver" anymore). By being a good driver you automatically qualify for a rate reduction equal to about 30% of the regular non-good drivers premium (the rates the company charge are up to them though, not regulated, as long as its consistent with all insured under them). If you have too many pts, non-good driver you can do is sign up for a program called Assigned Risk, as least thats what its called in California, its a state program that guarantees all drivers at least some of insurance. What you do is basically go into any auto ins. broker and sign up some paperwork and they put the paperwork into a pool which will assign you to a Insurance company. In California its a state run thing so they will notify you shortly of the company that will take on your policy (it could be a large ins. compnay to a small nickel and dime company, its randomly assigned based on the numbers of customer you have, the more people with that companies auto ins., the greater amount of Assigned Risk applicants they will have to take on). The big catch here is that they can basically charge you whatever they want. I've seen pretty much they will charge you between $1500 a yr just for liability, and with comp and collision your looking at close to $5k a yr just for ins. alone. Your best bet is to just drive what you have for the time being, and wait until your record cleans up to where you have 1 pt or less. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:31 AM
~~O8>

Default Re: One more question

Originally posted by donkeykong
My current insurance will not be cancelled until the end of November. My license should be reinstated before then. Should I wait to get new insurance until my license is completely reinstated (thus, I am at least applying for new insurance with a valid license), or does it not make a difference?

Also, how do high risk insurance premiums compare to the state sponsored premiums (as described in the post above)? 5k/year sounds pretty steep, even for high risk.

Thanks,

DK
You will be better off waiting. INs. companies check teh validity of you license before issuing you insurance, so they will probably see the suspension when they run a DMV check. You might also get cancelled early if they didn't catch the suspension, and depending on the company and if you had to pay a broker fee you might lose out on a couple of bucks because of that, so i would just wait in your case.

Premiums vary from company to company so you can't really compare, the only thing you can do is actually shop around. I've never heard of high risk insurance from the companies directly, usually they will jsut give you a quote for being a bad driver and charge you whatever they deem to be fit. As far as the state sponsored ones it should be a consistent set rate, but thats only for liability, the minimum needed by law 10/15/5, the company you get assigned with can charge whatever they wish for the comp/coll. When I said around $5k, i meant full coverage with uninsured motorist and property damage comp/coll, everything. You have to remember its based on the car as well and that was just a guess on my part, and I kinda factored in a new Z to that In most cases, your looking at least $100/month for liability alone. Rates vary from state to state, so just do some legwork or call around, thats the only way to truly find out.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:54 AM
drivebywire

Is it possible that someone else buy the full coverage and include your name in it as a secondary driver etc?
Old 10-16-2002, 09:54 AM
~~O8>

Originally posted by drivebywire
Is it possible that someone else buy the full coverage and include your name in it as a secondary driver etc?
Nah, thats no good. Your better off just driving it covered under someone elses name. If the car is registered in your name no one will can get insurance for it except ther person who its registered under. What you could do is if its your parents or something, have the car registered in their name and they guy insurance for it, and you jsut drive it. Most companies will put an exclusion though if you live in the same household, so it means no coverage if you got in an accident driving it. But if you don't live with them then you could drive it and be covered but only for comp and coll. You need insurance anyways though, you could get a non-owners policy which covers liablity only in addition to the other thing which would technically give you full coverage but there will be alot of hassles and stuff to sort out if you ever got into an accident...$0.02
Old 10-16-2002, 10:14 AM
~~O8>

Default Re: Clarification

OB when you say to "wait" do you mean wait on buying the Z? Or something else (as I'm pretty sure I can't wait on getting new insurance).

Thanks again for your help

DK
You have to have insurance so just shop around for it now, forget the Z until you get some of the tickets off. What do you drive now anyways? If you need full coverage for that car and its gonna be a grip anyways, you might as well just get the Z in that case. There are alot of factors, what you should do is shop/call around and see waht kind of quotes you get with and without the Z. Just be honest with them, but dont tell them anything extra, don't be too informative, just the facts.

Last edited by ~~O8>; 10-16-2002 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:43 AM
mydogscool

Forget the Z for now. The annual car insurance will amount to just about as much as you will pay for the car. Too much to pay for insurance. Get a cheapy used vehicle that insurance companys like, and drive that safely until, for a 5 year DMV chec would reveal no more than 2 points. I know it sucks, but unless yo got lots o money, its the only realistic way. Hell my insurance on the Z, with 0 points, declaring it for pleasure use only, being driven only 10% of the time, and a multi-car discount, for the Z alone is $872.00 anually.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:20 PM
~~O8>

Default Re: ok

08 thx for the advice. I drive a 95 Jetta right now, so I can live with liability only on that. It still runs fairly well, so i'm not too pissed.

As far as just reporting the facts, the facts are four speeding tickets (not reckless) and administrative suspension of license (will be reinstated at beginning of Nov). What would constitute too much information?

Really, thanks a lot for the feedback, the situation sucks but i'm feeling at least a little bit informed.

DK
Naw sounds good, as long as you don't them about all your little accidents if there are any and other stuff that might not otherwise show on your driving record its cool. Just the facts is all they need to know, tickets bascially. Hope it works out.

Quick Reply: Auto Insurance Emergency!!