Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 02:07 PM
frayed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wileecoyte
I hear what Frayed is saying about becoming a better driver. I haven't been able to get to any trackdays...yet. BUT, I drive on the road a lot and in my current car people are constantly trying to race me. Is it as challenging as mastering Watkins Glen? No. Is it fun to run against someone from a stoplight? Yep.
Here's the deal though. I recommend to folks to at least give one track weekend a shot. After that, you may just find that your entire outlook changes on what you do/don't need in your hardware. If you don't like it, you can go back to focussing on being the next Vin Diesel.

When you experience a full drift at 130 mph in a left hand sweeper under control, the smell of cooking brakes, the excitement of hunting down 'better' cars, the comraderie and beers after a hard day on the track, the thrill at taking a corner flat out, mastering trail braking into a slow section, throttle steering through a carousel, well, frankly, it has a tendency to recalibrate your needs/wants.

Your cars, like mine, were built with handling and chassis integrity in mind. When you get a chance to explore what your car can really do with these attributes, on a closed course with a seasoned instructor, it's a great thing.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:03 PM
ColecatZ

Default Wes

What took you so long to show up here?

keepin it REAL?

good info by the way......makes sense. 320 NA sounds like fun.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by frayed
More performance on the track can be had from better driver, better suspension, better rubber and wheels, and better brake pads, than a bolt on hairdryer. Triple adjustable Motons, Hoosiers, more front camber, and a set of Hawk Blues will do far more than 80 rwhp from a Vortech blower unit.
For those of you who know my early day posts, this is exactly my experience at the track. The other factor I see is the increase in major offs that the high HP guys have compared with us low HP guys. I spent last weekend at CMP in SC. All three vettes went off. One C5 got wrapped around a tree at 40mph and was a total write-off (BTW: The driver is a buddy of mine who has 100s of hours of track time). Another went backwards into a tire wall and it took almost an hour to rebuild the wall. At other events, I see Vipers and M3s hit walls on a regular basis.

Handling and brakes should always come first unless you live a 1/4mile at a time.

I was an instructor in a 550HP 300ZX TT all weekend and the sad fact was that even on the straights, the driver could only use about 3/4 throttle. I'd rather have my 155HP NX where I can use all the power and have weight as my advantage.

Frayed, I guess I'm with you on this one.

Last edited by Flyingscot; 10-22-2002 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:27 PM
frayed

Exactly.

Coming from an M3 and an S2000, I value handling and balance over sophomoric hormone-induced stoplight challenges. The Z is a great chassis, but dumbed down for the unwashed masses in the handling dept. so those unskilled don't get into trouble.

Get that machine out on the track with a seasoned instructor, and your entire perspective might just change. Maybe, just maybe, you'll be finding yourself lusting over some triple adjustable coilovers, reading Puhn's book on chassis tuning, and waiting on the edge of your seat for news of the new Hoosier road racing compound, instead of NAAWWWS and the blower-of-the-month.

But, that's just me. I'm a crotchey old son of a *****.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Ryan

Originally posted by InternetABYSS
Opps...ALSO....if you guys got some question for me...ILL ASK HIM!!!!

I will write down the answers exactly what he says to your questions...He is also working with some guy at nismo on the launch of new parts sold to the US.
That's some good stuff. Good job in getting that info to us. Got some questions for that guy.

1. Will NISMO North America be producing performance upgrades for cars older than the 2002s? Turbo kits? Superchargers? Intake/header/exhaust? Suspension components?

It would be nice to have a factory-backed force induction system.

2. I guess this should be a part of question one but anyway.. Will the ECU info ever be released for the pre-2002 cars?

3. Is Altimas.net one of the major forums? If not, it should be. I'm a moderator over in that forum, one of the largest Nissan Community forums out there. We probably have the least amount of aftermarket support out of all the Nissan automobiles. It would be nice to see some backing from Nissan/NISMO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can also reply via e-mail: Ry@altimas.net

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:36 PM
ZON

I went to the Nissan dealer today to firm up with them about my Z delivery next week and I talked to one of the sales guys. He was a nice guy and he said he went to a 350Z class that Nissan has for sales guys.

Things he told me:

He said that the convertable will be a hard top that folds up into the rear. There will be no rag top.

He said that nissan will offer a "twin super charger system". Huh?
I have never heard of a "twin super charger". And he said the kit will cost $1150. I don't believe any of that one. But he insists it is true. He also said they will sell a "single super charger" for $750. I don't believe any of it but i do believe he believed it. A twin super charger??? And for $1150 if it is true, ya right!!! I would expect a super charger kit to run $3000 or more + install. He had to be B.S.'ing me but he did not seem like a liar. But then again he's a car salesman.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy is living in a psychotic imaginary world. Supercharger for $750 and $1,160.... LOL
Old 11-02-2002, 07:17 PM
Boomer

Default info...track

Originally posted by frayed
Exactly.

Coming from an M3 and an S2000, I value handling and balance over sophomoric hormone-induced stoplight challenges. The Z is a great chassis, but dumbed down for the unwashed masses in the handling dept. so those unskilled don't get into trouble.

Get that machine out on the track with a seasoned instructor, and your entire perspective might just change. Maybe, just maybe, you'll be finding yourself lusting over some triple adjustable coilovers, reading Puhn's book on chassis tuning, and waiting on the edge of your seat for news of the new Hoosier road racing compound, instead of NAAWWWS and the blower-of-the-month.

But, that's just me. I'm a crotchey old son of a *****.
I'm not going on any track with anyone until I can dump the OE rubber. These RE 040s are not adequate to accept your challenge. Also, I have always gone with the smaller, lower HP cars where you can use all their power. I need lessons to just drive my Z. I have the AT, but it isn't any old folks car, either. This car is a torque monster, almost like a small block chevy, and to be really fast in it is no small thing. I can't imagine putting a blower on it and not expect to end up in the weeds, or worse. Stock is just fine with me.

Boomer
Old 11-02-2002, 07:24 PM
frayed

A small block chevy? A torque monster?
Old 11-08-2002, 04:43 AM
principe

Default What other changes are being made

InternetABYSS,

Great write up and opportunity, someone else asked but I didn't see a reply... what is Nissan doing with the assembly lines to improve the quality based on input from forums like ours?

Did they acknowledge that there are people out here providing feedback and doing something about it?? Its nice to recognition but if they actuakky do something ... well that speaks volumes!

You spoke alot about performance, what about other items any news there? i.e. BOSE and thier selection of equipment? Any other things we should or could look out for?

Good stuff, keep on Z'ing.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:11 AM
Zoro

Default very funny

Originally posted by channone
I think your Z must have come over in a "short boat" unlike the rest of ours.
That is so funny, I think humor this good should be rewarded with etra points. Say you 1000 points minimum.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:23 AM
Zoro

Default hey Frayed

"When you experience a full drift at 130 mph in a left hand sweeper under control, the smell of cooking brakes"

I think if I experienced a full drift at 130mph I would be smelling something completely different that the smell of cooking brakes.
I would have to clean my pants out.

Old 11-08-2002, 06:30 AM
MustGoFastR

InternetABYSS:
I take it you haven't heard from your contact in a while, but if you could, would you mind simply summing up what you believe NISMO will be releasing through the dealers? By now, we've all seen the NISMO S-Tune cars with their bodywork, suspension and interestingly enough, an exhaust system even though there is supposedly no power to be found in simple bolt on mods without reprogramming the ECM. I personally have no interest in a turbo or supercharger, but would be interested in an ECM upgrade offered through the dealers to reclaim the detuned HP as long as it is still covered under warranty and will pass smog inspection. What do you think are the odds of this? Like some other people, I prefer to buy a car and keep it for a long time. I know there is always something better around the corner; it's kind of like buying a computer, but like computers, it's nice to be able to upgrade to keep current. Makes me wonder if I should lease the car instead of buy it, though I'm not really in the financially elevated position to be able to trade out cars every few years.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:07 AM
Intrepid

One thing is for sure, an ECU upgrade will be offerered by many sources. As long as this upgrade does not CAUSE damage, Nissan must honor the warranty pursuant to Federal Law.

From what I heard NISMO will PROBABLY release an ECU upgrade. However, it remains to be seen if Nissan will officially endorse the upgrade under the warranty.

Hopefully InternetABYSS will have some more current news.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:16 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by Intrepid
One thing is for sure, an ECU upgrade will be offerered by many sources. As long as this upgrade does not CAUSE damage, Nissan must honor the warranty pursuant to Federal Law.

From what I heard NISMO will PROBABLY release an ECU upgrade. However, it remains to be seen if Nissan will officially endorse the upgrade under the warranty.

Hopefully InternetABYSS will have some more current news.

COOL, now I just wonder if it will still meet emissions requirements for those of us that live in cities where you have to get tested. If not, a switch or jumper that could reset the values to stock would be ideal.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Intrepid

ECU upgrades designed for the street all meet EPA laws.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:32 PM
jimflash

Does he favor the Whipple type of SC?
Old 11-09-2002, 02:08 AM
InternetABYSS

My contact...hasnt called me back since they installed the new tranny.....I guess they have other issues to handle....I'll probably hunt him down in awhile....once you got their name its pretty easy to find em.

Im waiting to see how trouble free my car is...if I have another issue it will give me a good excuse to track him down for more info.

But i'm holding off for now...I have been a pain in the A$$ for nissan during the last 6 + months...im giving it a rest.

Quick Reply: Well got off the phone with Nissan Engineer (coolinfo)