Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

About the interior. . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 03:16 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About the interior. . .

Several people in a couple different places have ask for pictures depicting the quality of the interior. I know my pictures are not the best quality but I don’t think any camera could do the interior justice. Here are my thoughts: As I was sitting in the car with the editor, I said that the interior pieces in fit, finish, quality, and material reminded me of VW. The editor commented back that the writer and himself had the exact same discussion with the same conclusion. If you don’t know, VW has some of the best interior fit, finishes, and material.

The pieces were tightly butted with very nice transition into the different color and/or texture pieces which make up the cockpit. The flow was much more impressive than most sports cars you would be looking at with similar pricing (25-40K). Texture was different in several pieces depending on the location and function. It was not goofy looking, as so many people have wondered as they saw low quality pictures (like mine) or pictures at various angles through the glass. All the colors are complementary and are low gloss matt finishes.

The cloth seats were defiantly not plush. The sporty material holds you in like Velcro, but is extremely comfortable. I did compare the comfort to a Saab before but I have since thought about it and it was not a good comparison. Just believe me when I say they are supportive but comfortable.

The controls look as if they were thought about and designed with the driver in mind. The buttons on the gauge pod take little effort and are well placed near the steering wheel but not impede the view of their resulting function. The stalky "nubs" used for the wipers, lights, and blinkers were easily activated from the smaller sport type steering wheel and are positioned so that they are not inadvertently activated during serious driving. (This may not be the case but is was the first thought when I was analyzing their design thoughts as my hands were on the wheel, remember I did not drive it!)

Now my one and only complaint: The climate controls are so low, you will have to take your eyes off the road to adjust until you learn where all your favorite settings are. The mechanisms, however, had a great feel and were very solid. I am sorry I did not test the radio for function or sound, maybe one of the next lucky persons can get that info for us. The last analysis is the storage compartment / Nav unit in the dash. The garage type door is very temperamental in closing. I was worried I was going to break it. I finally figured out the motion to use and it was fine. Please note: when your friends are looking at it for the first time and they open that door, you may want to offer to shut it for them.

I hope this suffices to ease some of your worries about the interior.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:39 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent review and thanks for the review, pics, and comments on your other post. Since this is an interior post, could you comment on the behind-the-seat features like the single-din spot, the speakers (was there one or two), the pocket behind the passanger seat, etc......

Thanks again for the great review and pics.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:03 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two small size compartments behind each seat, big enough for a disk changer, cd cases, or even lunch (as in the picture). Now in this model there was only one large behind the seat storage compartment. I thought there would be two if you did not have the Bose sub. This may be a pre-production issue. If you look at the Japan spec sheets it looks to be large enough to put a small briefcase in it. The one in my pic was locked. On the back of the seat there was a map pocket and perhaps a place for the owners manual. There may have been one on the drivers seat as well, but I dont remember.

Last edited by VandyZ; 06-12-2002 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:45 PM
dvlad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VandyZ, thanks for the write-up!

I was worried that the interior would be sentra or altima quality. It's good to see Nissan trying their best to make quality top notch. Your write-up has lowered my fears.

Thanks