Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bouncy Ride Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 02:50 AM
TCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Bouncy Ride Anyone??

Originally posted by droidekaus
Actually, I think that perhaps with the MLS in the rear, that the car is oversprung, undershocked. I'm curious to see what a stiffer shock in the rear would do, especially if it would help dial out the wheel-hop on launch.
This is exactly what I thought but someone posted that it was the opposite situation based on testing they had done. See this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=7729

Nathan, do you have any updates for us on those tests you conducted?
Old 10-18-2002, 07:18 AM
Pandj

Default bouncy ride

I have the same problem. but only over concrete roads where the expansion joints are spaced so evenly. the car handles great on the corners so i'll live with it the car also rides perfect on some what smooth asphalt

superblack touring no navi, 300 miles 1 week old
Old 10-18-2002, 08:19 AM
Z33Fan

Most state highway specifications require what is best described as sequenced, skewed expansion joints for concrete road surfaces anymore. These joints, typically placed on a 10 to 15 degree angle from perpendicular to the direction of travel, are jointed in a pattern that minimizes harmonic motion.

Not that any of what I just said matters to the average person, but I thought it might be an interesting fact to know.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:26 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I notice it too, over certain surfaces: there's a section of highway on my way to work when it is really noticeable: bounce bounce bounce. If there's anything in the back, it will jump up and down and make noise in sync with the bouncing. I thnk it's just a matter of hitting a certain frequency of undulations or expansion joints in the road. I don't notice this on other cars. Not a huge deal, but a little detail they need to work out.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:32 AM
Cazzz Z

Default I am gonna live with it.

I am not gonna mess with the suspension, because one day a big chested woman is gonna bless me by asking for a ride in my Z & I will truly hope she won't be wearing a bra. I will then need for my navigation to guide me on the road, because I wont be paying much attention to the road..
Old 10-18-2002, 08:33 AM
WashUJon

Didn't the Z32 two-seaters porpoise a lot?
Old 10-18-2002, 11:00 AM
RobJames

280s and z31s really porpoised a lot. I had a z32 and never had any problem with that. It rode much smoother than the 350Z.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:38 AM
brackethead

Originally posted by Z33Fan
Most state highway specifications require what is best described as sequenced, skewed expansion joints for concrete road surfaces anymore. These joints, typically placed on a 10 to 15 degree angle from perpendicular to the direction of travel, are jointed in a pattern that minimizes harmonic motion.

Not that any of what I just said matters to the average person, but I thought it might be an interesting fact to know.
I actuallly think that's interesting. Now I can impress my civil engineer friends.

I don't notice the porpoising on mine. I think I'm just used to my Integra with OE shocks and Skunk2 springs. That was a rough ride. The Z seems luxo in comparison!

FWIW, I've been on 5 trips of 8+ hrs driving time in my Z. Been through a little of PA and a lot of OH -- not the greatest highways in the country. The concrete in PA is the worst -- ka-clunck, ka-clunck, ka-clunck incessantly. I really have no complaints about the overall ride quality vs handling of my Z. I think Nissan nailed it.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by WashUJon
Didn't the Z32 two-seaters porpoise a lot?
Yes.

Michael.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:10 PM
archie

I have a 350z on order for April and have never owned a sports car before. Is the boucing around that everyone is describing a fairly common thing on sports cars? I thought that with a stiff suspension there would be less bouncing!!! Can it be compared to cars with very soft suspension that when driving they feel like going one way while you point the car the oppostite direction. Sorry, if my description is not very clear!
Old 10-18-2002, 12:31 PM
Jason

Well... I drive two sports cars with very stiff suspensions and none of this happens on those:

1) NSX w/ Ground Control coil-overs and Koni struts
2) MR2 Spyder w/ Sportivo suspension

It sounds to me like either the spring rates on the 350Z are messed up or it might just be an issue with stiff sprung suspensions on cars that have a front weight bias (?)

Has anybody invested in a Nismo S-Tune suspension yet? I'd be curious to see if that had the same problem.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:54 PM
Subw00er

I noticed this too. It kind of sucks, but I'd rather have a decent cornering car than a tourer.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:19 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Do you guys think this is a function of the short length of the car?

In other words, would a slightly longer wheelbase *cough* <i>G35 coupe</i> *cough* mitigate this problem?

I wish I could make up my mind as to which I wanted to order.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:20 PM
ztom

Default Base Model Bumpy Ride

My base model also has a bumpy ride - I assumed the touring model would have adjustable shocks like my 300TT - bumpy ride, and great handling when set to "sport" (for the twisties) and cushy ride when set to "touring" (for the freeways).
Old 10-18-2002, 08:45 PM
DaChoZn1

Personally, the bouncing doesn't really bother me. It does kinda remind me of a car w/cut springs though. I think it adds a little more character to an already awesome car. Most of all...I took my girl (who has very nice, large breast ) out on the town last weekend. Man oh man did she ever bounce. So its all in how you look at it. For me, it was a good thing. Also, the suspension is very tight and handles great. I guess that is just one of the down sides of having a sport tuned suspension. Ours may be a little overly agressive. One day we'll appreciate it when it saves our *** or we out perform our competition in a shootout.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:10 AM
jabroney12

I think some of you guys are sugar coating the drawback of the suspension and ride quality of the Z. Sure it corners well and is fast as hell, but come on, any car that bumps around like a pinball through slightly uneven roads that makes me nauseated is a FLAW!
I'm no 50 year old slow geezer driver, I driven supras, eclipses, S2ks before so I know what to expect from a sports car. If your going on a road trip that is 4-5 hrs and the whole rides isnt comfortable why would you say that "I like the feel, ....feels like a sports car" To me comfort is a big thing especially if I paid 30k for a car, if the S2k handles just as well and almost as fast but their ride is firm and smooth, then obviously our Zs haven't been throughly tested and designed for the general consumers out there.
I go to work every morning through the I-10 in LA, while yes I get alot of glances, but some of them are from people saying to themselves damn does he have hydraulics installed because it moves up and down like motherF#@$r. That being said, I hope that you guys realize that this is a big design flaw and don't try to coverup nissan's mistests as "oh because its a sports car, what do you expect" Thats BS. While a sports car is designed for speed and handling, A "CAR" is made to give people satisfaction and comfort to enjoy driving without feeling like they just downed a 6 pack of Heinken and having your head spinned by somebody.
Just my .2 cents.

Last edited by jabroney12; 11-08-2002 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:15 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that there is an undue amount of bounce in the car, and I haven't even gotten mine yet! I test drove two Touring cars, 6MT & auto; the auto wasn't bad due to the smaller wheels/taller sidewalls, but the 6MT was VERY stiff and bouncy. I currently drive a riced out Honda Del Sol with a much shorter wheelbase and lowering springs over stock shocks and it is nowhere near as harsh. The ride actually made me think twice about ordering the car, but like most others here, I assumed it was the price one had to pay for owning a true sports car. Now that I see so many other complaints about it, I hope someone will come up with a solution that won't compromise the handling of the car.

I wonder if the G35c uses the same suspension, just with different spring and damping rates? I haven't driven one, but I'd think for an Ininity, its ride must be softer, yet it handles jsut as well as the Z. I the suspension setup is the same, perhaps a simple parts swap could provide some relief.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:19 AM
RobJames

Pu$*ys! There is nothing wrong with the ride. I ride in an S2000 all the time and it has no smoother ride than my Z. Neither the does the friggin Vette my mother owns. If you want it smooth, buy smooth and quit bitching.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:20 AM
RobJames

Joking of course. It does remind me of the sport ride on my z32 TT, as opposed to the touring setting. However, it is certainly not a design flaw. That is a load of crap.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:50 AM
jabroney12

That being said, does anyone know of a cure to fix the probelm. Will the dealer be able to diagnose the problem as the suspension being to frigid and fix/change it under warranty, I would substitue tighter cornering if thats the case. Here in LA with all the potholes and rocky freeways rocks my car HARD! I don't want to spend $1000 on aftermarket ones if I can convice the dealer its a major problem.

Quick Reply: Bouncy Ride Anyone??