2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bouncy Ride Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 01:11 PM
ScottC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Bouncy Ride Anyone??

Originally posted by glenng6
I love my Z, but I have to agee with those complaining about the bounce. I have the same problem and I met a girl today who complained about the same thing. I was hoping as the car gets broken in it might lessen, but she has had her white touring since Sept 9 and said it is still bad. (Yeah, it's only 5 weeks)

I know full well that the Z is a sports car, but this bounce is too much. When a drink with a commuter top is splashing all over there is a problem. And the Bose sucks! I can't believe Nissan charged me for this system. I would have been better off with the standard stereo. I will be back to my dealer about this one. Just to let you know the problem with the base doesn't happen when playing CDs or MP3s with my iPod.

With all that said this car is otherwise fantastic. I felt comfortable with the stick and clutch right out of the gate. It is such an easy car to drive. 450 miles, 4 days (3 in the rain)

Glenn
There is a probelm with the Bose amps. Go to the dealer and they will order/install an entire new one for you. Mine is on order now. Does the Bose play MP3s? Or do you use another aftermarket player? I'm going to try when I get home.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:16 PM
ScottC

Originally posted by Radian
There is definitely too much bounce in the suspension. I too have driven a good couple of sports cars and none of them were this bad.

It feels like the springrate is way to high. The car seems to have almost no suspension travel for light weight changes. An example is how little it drops when a driver sits in it.

I think an interesting "experiment" would be to see if the Infiniti G35 coupe springs would feel like in the 350Z. You know that "being an Infiniti" the ride has to be "softer" then the 350Z.

Maybe the combination of softer spring and leaving the same shocks might just do the trick to eliminate the bounces.

So now, who do we complain to to see if Nissan will do something to "fix" this?
Has everyone noticed how rigid the suspension is and how we have 2 strut stabilizers (im not sure if this is the technical term for them)? Grab the car at the rear stabilizer and try to rock the car, it sure doesnt move much. Maybe this has something to do with the ride. Coming from a Maxima I kinda enjoy the "sports car bounce."
Old 11-19-2002, 01:55 PM
nwind21

I take it back. I thought about it... and "bounce" is not the proper word methinks.

It just feels very very stiff. There's not much oscillation when I hit little bumps... but I feel every single one of them.

I don't want to suggest to anyone w/o their Z that it feels like your teeter tottering back and forth as you hit rough roads. Or that the Z feels outa control. It doesn't - at least not for me.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:23 PM
nosuchsol

My Z32 TT was really bouncy out on the 10(in cali). So for those who've driven both, is the 350Z more erratic or less erratic than the Z32? After my TT I got an integra due to the commute and I don't think that the 'teg is really that much better compared to. So if it's on par with the 'teg or ZTT then I can live with it. But if it's worse .... well, I'll just have to drive one for myself. =)
Old 11-19-2002, 03:07 PM
ScottC

Originally posted by nwind21
I take it back. I thought about it... and "bounce" is not the proper word methinks.

It just feels very very stiff. There's not much oscillation when I hit little bumps... but I feel every single one of them.

I don't want to suggest to anyone w/o their Z that it feels like your teeter tottering back and forth as you hit rough roads. Or that the Z feels outa control. It doesn't - at least not for me.
I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about. I do feel every single bump and division in the pavement, but isnt that the way a relatively small, stiff suspension should be like? Also think about type of wheel tire set up we are on. 17-18 inch rims with 45 series tires. There isnt much rubber between the rim and the road. What type of car was your last? Maybe you are used to a more conservitive ride? Maybe I'm just in denial?
Old 11-19-2002, 03:07 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RobJames
Pu$*ys! There is nothing wrong with the ride. I ride in an S2000 all the time and it has no smoother ride than my Z. Neither the does the friggin Vette my mother owns. If you want it smooth, buy smooth and quit bitching.
I was about to say....

I've driven a s2k and its ride was just as harsh as the Z's.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:31 PM
christurismohk

Guys, i have 19xx miles on my car. Sure my car is still stiff, but for some reason, the ride was smoother than before! I don't know if I am a "I could handle stiff ride" person, but it got a lot less bouncy since the day I got the car. Other than the suspension problem, could it be the tires? I kept thinking to myself ~My tires are now warmed up, they are not new anymore~
Old 11-19-2002, 05:01 PM
ScottC

Originally posted by christurismohk
Guys, i have 19xx miles on my car. Sure my car is still stiff, but for some reason, the ride was smoother than before! I don't know if I am a "I could handle stiff ride" person, but it got a lot less bouncy since the day I got the car. Other than the suspension problem, could it be the tires? I kept thinking to myself ~My tires are now warmed up, they are not new anymore~
I think you are just getting used to it. Although the springs, shocks etc. could loosen as they get warn in.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:09 PM
mark754

Doesn't the G35 Coupe have a more comfortable ride *and* handle better (has a better skidpad rating)? Unless this is due only to the slightly longer wheelbase of the G, perhaps the Z's suspension could use some refinement.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:31 PM
nwind21

Originally posted by ScottC
I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about. I do feel every single bump and division in the pavement, but isnt that the way a relatively small, stiff suspension should be like? Also think about type of wheel tire set up we are on. 17-18 inch rims with 45 series tires. There isnt much rubber between the rim and the road. What type of car was your last? Maybe you are used to a more conservitive ride? Maybe I'm just in denial?
Yeah more and more I think it's what a stiff suspension is like since I've never driven one. If I felt the Z was acting unstable at speeds then it would a different story and then I would call it a problem.

So I'm beginning to adjust. I've been observing other cars suspensions lately and if you want bouncy... try a 4-Runner.

Just readjusting my previous comments since I've been driving with the Z more.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:45 PM
ScottC

Default Fun

Fun isn't it?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:41 PM
michael350

I test drove one today. DAMN it was bouncy as hell. ive drivin sports cars my whole life. it was like a work out in this car.i drive a supra tt right now. and the Z is night and day. the shifter was a bit notchy also. not smooth as butter as in my supra. hopfully it was cuz it just got off the truck and preped. maybe after some miles it will get better. also the back window is horrible. blind spots everywhere!
Old 11-19-2002, 09:27 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Compared with the M-Coupe I've driven several times, the Z bounces. The M has a sportscar ride too and slightly better handling properties even. But it doesn't go bounce-crazy on the freeways like my Z. The Z feels like its front and back are teetering up and down. I don't know know if that's what's really going on, but it does bother me, because it's not helping, but hindering, my feel for the road.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:33 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

: I don't want to suggest to anyone w/o their Z that it feels like your teeter tottering back and forth as you hit rough roads. Or that the Z feels outa control. It doesn't - at least not for me.

It doesn't feel out of control at all to me either, but teeter tottering sounds accurate. And it's not on rough roads either, but mainly just on certain freeways. And it's very fast. I think there's some kind of harmonic distortion between the natural shape of the freeway and the Z's wheelbase.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:12 PM
Intrepid

Will the G35 Coupe Spring and/or Shocks fit the 350Z?
Old 11-20-2002, 04:57 AM
Radian

Originally posted by Intrepid
Will the G35 Coupe Spring and/or Shocks fit the 350Z?
Can anyone get the partnumbers for both the Nissan 350Z springs and the Infiniti G35 coupe springs?

I really don't think the shocks are the issue, I think the spring rate of the 350Z springs is way too high.

Also, it would be nice is some of you "Service Manual Owners" might post a pic of the front and rear shock/spring assembly/disassembly info.

I think this might be an excellent avenue to a solution of the bouncing. The porpoising (teeter-totter) is really bad in this car and if changing the springs solves it then we can get Nissan to issue a TSB to fix all of our cars.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:28 AM
S38

Konis, Bilsteins anyone?

My M5 also rides smoother with more weight in it. Kind of weird but true. I have a typical aftermarket performance suspension, Dinan springs, Bilsteins, swaybars, 18" wheels, camber plates...etc. It rides pretty stiff and I would definitely stay with 17" wheels if I did it again. If you guys are getting to much rebound it sounds like you simply need more shock. Maybe if you complain enough Nissan will do a fix. Changing shock valving is not that big a deal. You shouldn't have to buy new shocks for a new car.

I rode in an new M3 for a few hundred miles and I thought the suspension was perfect. Taught but not stiff. They did a great job with it.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:23 AM
Intrepid

There seems to be two schools of thought. Some think it's the shocks while others think it's the springs. We need to narrow this down eventually. Hopefully someone will experiment and let us know.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:16 PM
TJZ

maybe we should ask dwnshift?

Quick Reply: Bouncy Ride Anyone??