Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tire feathering is stopping me from getting a Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:42 AM
tivaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any one with more than 10000 Miles and no feathering???????

Regads
Old 08-24-2004, 05:43 AM
MA4

It's not just the two tires that bothers me that I will be buying every 7500 miles after my warranty expires, but I will also need new wheels since changing tires involves scratching the crap out of my wheels.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:44 AM
Watkins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tivaj

Regads
Old 08-24-2004, 08:53 AM
MASTERPLAU

Default Re: Tire feathering is stopping me from getting a Z

This is the only reason why I have been evaluating purchasing a Z for the past 5 months. My question does every Z have feathering?

Best Regards
Even if every Z has feathering or not, theres a fix for it... i had mine fixed... its free and you even get new tires.... some people like to complain on these boards so dont take it literally... its your decision to purchase the car, feathering or not, its still a great car....
Old 08-24-2004, 09:24 AM
phoenixZ33

So far I'm at 6500 miles with no feathering, or at least to my knowledge. Thoeretically if it did happen, I like the car way too much to consider selling it over a set of tires. No where is it stated that you are required to buy the OEM RE040 tires for $185 each. 17" tires can be had for under $100 each.. if I have to buy two extra ones every six months, so be it. It's not 800-1200 bucks like someone else stated. The other 50 great attributes easily cancel out the feathering problem IMO.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:32 AM
pisces9ca

Default Re: Don't buy IT!

Originally posted by pisces9ca
I've got an 04 roadster that has been cared for like an only child! June '03 build date, have replaced the top, the Bose sound system is the pits, the oil dip stick is a complete nightmare!
The interior is pitiful compared to the G35.
Now I'm facing the well documented tire roar (feathering!) and am told that the problem is covered on the '03's but not 04's since I took it in three days pasted my inservice date of August 16, 2003. TSB04-043 extended the 03 warranty to 24Months/24k Miles, but they won't honor it on an 04 even though it is a well documented design defect.

6620 miles in 12 months.....

I'll never buy another Nissan product.
File number 4655946 with NNA
Just got a call back from Nissan NA and they are going to replace the tires, which are on backorder, at least they're doing the right thing! Had to bump the issue up to a Supervisor.

Someone mentioned a fix, DO NOT know of a permanent fix at this time. If they find one they'll probably share it, I hope!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:59 AM
lunartick13

I don`t get it!! I had my Z almost a year (Sept. 3) and not a one problem, 6000 miles +. I guees my point is, are there a lot of us out there that are complainig just because or did I get realy lucky?
LOVE THIS CAR!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:29 AM
NzZ

lunartick,

You are just that lucky. Both of the nissan dealers I've seen admit that almost every Z they've sold comes back with feathered tires. According to one service manager, many people believe the noise is normal because of its slow progression. Others complain of tire growl under 30mph yet they claim they have no feathering. Who knows what the problem is....well, I can tell you who SHOULD know. Nissan.

NzZ
Old 08-24-2004, 06:47 PM
lunartick13

Originally posted by NzZ
lunartick,

You are just that lucky. Both of the nissan dealers I've seen admit that almost every Z they've sold comes back with feathered tires. According to one service manager, many people believe the noise is normal because of its slow progression. Others complain of tire growl under 30mph yet they claim they have no feathering. Who knows what the problem is....well, I can tell you who SHOULD know. Nissan.

NzZ
I`am well aware that TIRE FEATHERING would happen to me, I had that on my Wrangler, it starts out very low noise and then it won`t stop it will just emplify.
Let me tell you I check my tires like every 1000 miles and I look for those little ruffles on the edges of the tire.
I was told when I had my Wrangler iligned that none of the car manufactures actually do a front end iligment at the factory, he adviced me to have it checked out and spend the $130.00.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Michael-Dallas

Every sports car has their fair share of problems.

NSX owners were complaining about having to replace rear tires every 3-5k. Acura revised their alignment settings to increase tire longevity, but at the cost of handling.

Porsche 996 (exc. Turbo, GT-2, GT-3) and Boxster owners are playing the leaking rear main seal lotto. Porsche, to this day, continues to ignore the potential manufacturing flaw, thus, leaving some owners paying for $1k RMS jobs or $20k engines when the car is out of warranty.

If you're worried about the tire feathering on the 350z, then it's probably best that you don't buy the 350z.

Michael.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:52 AM
MA4

I've had my feathering FIXED 3 times now. The next time will be on my own dime.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Z-Stalker

Well I think the Z is a good sports car.

But the tire issues are keeping me from seriously considering it at this time. When I was younger I probably would have just put out the money and delt with the problem. However, I'm 40 now and tend to be more practical and less emotional about my purchases.

To some it may seem like a minor issue having to replace the tires more frequently then should be required. Depending on the vehicle I would accept this to some degree. I have looked long at buying an NSX and the tire wear was not as big of an issue with the NSX as it is for me with the Z. The NSX wears rear tires due to aggresive camber. The Z wears fronts due to a suspension design issue. I expect low tire life on any sports car but not because of a problem with the suspension.

I'm also looking at lots of stories on this forum about problems with dealerships replacing tires from long order times to rims being scratched and the resulting long fights to correct the problems to the owners satisfaction. I can certainly go to my dealer and ask them how these problems would be handled if I got a Z but I'm sure he would give their service department a glowing review. Point being is that I can't know until I have the problem how my dealership would handle the issue.

If the problem is not fixed through a recall then after my tire warranty is expired I can look forward to replacing them and getting the alignment done on my dime twice a year. To me this is too much of an expense for a car that costs what it does.

Rumors persist that Nissan will be correcting the problem in '05. If so I will buy one then or consider an earlier year (as long as a recall corrects the issue). Certainly it can be corrected since the G35 doesn't seem to have these issues.

I'm sure there are many people like us waiting to see how the problem will be corrected. If Nissan chooses not to fix it then I know I won't be buying along with others. I hope we'll hear something within the next few weeks. I really like the car alot and want to start deciding on which model, options etc. rather than deciding if it's right for me.

Z-Stalker
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM
ml2316

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
Every sports car has their fair share of problems.

NSX owners were complaining about having to replace rear tires every 3-5k. Acura revised their alignment settings to increase tire longevity, but at the cost of handling.

Michael.
yes, but acura *fixed* the problem. that's a key point.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:54 PM
ml2316

if you search at freshalloy there are some threads about he g coupe developing feathering at 12-15k. 12-15k to replace front tires is possibly acceptable for most ppl, and not every g owner reported this.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:18 PM
ZpikeZ

Regads

14,000+ miles and no feathering. Bought in March 2003. Lots of rattles though.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well stated, Z-Stalker.
I think there are many of us who are potential Z owners just waiting to see if this issue will be resolved in MY05.
The Z looks great and drives great, but anyone who knowingly spends 30K on ANY car with a design problem like this is just not listening to the facts IMHO.
Right now, my back-up plan is a G35C, so I guess my money will ultimately go to the same place!!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:12 AM
VeeTec

No problems with my 04 so far, but only 4,200 miles.

I love this car!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:21 AM
peterhong

I started experiencing tire feathering at around 10000 miles and had it fixed about 1000 miles later. Wasn't a big deal cause Performance simply cross-rotated my front tires and the problem went away. All this was done in less than 2 hours. Next time it happens they will simply replace my front tires for free. Not a big deal because most Z-rated tires need to be replaced around 20000 miles or so anyway because of the softness of the tire.

BTW, my car was made in May 2003. If tire feathering is the worst of your problems and/or concerns, go ahead and buy the Z cause its not that big of a deal. Yeah there are rattles that form in the car, but what car is without those rattles. I paid close to 40K for my car and I got exactly what I thought I would get. That is, I got an expensive Japanese car with a service department that is sub-par. I understand people who pay 30K+ for their car expect more, but remember this is a Nissan and our cars are an anomaly for Nissan. That is, the majority of Nissans sold are sold for under 30K and those are the people they are catering to.

Take the car and manufacturer for what they are worth. Buy the
Z and the joys of owning the Z will greatly outweigh the minor inconveniences you will eventually experience.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:52 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter
One of the many attractions of the Z is the nice deep wheel wells which allow significant "plus sizing" of wheels and tires. That is something I would definitely want to do, along with a conservative lowering.
The good news is that in some cases, that seems to have eliminated, or at least improved, the feathering.
The bad news is that if you still have the problem, you will no longer be covered by warranty and will also now be replacing tires which will be much more expensive.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:03 AM
LeanerJoe
Banned

Very well stated Z-Stalker.....

I am one who has not purchased a Z because of the tire issue. I currently have a 03 WRX, and have had no issues with it at all. I have had the car for two+ years and it has been a dream to drive. I think I'm going to hold out for the MY05 to see if the Z will be a fit for me. Either that or the G35C, still up in the air!?!? I feel bad for all those 03 and 04 owners that have issues with their cars

Quick Reply: Tire feathering is stopping me from getting a Z