Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tire feathering is stopping me from getting a Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:47 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by slaponte
Since we are all entitled to opinions : I also believe it is a suspension design flaw because it is not a normal wear pattern.

- I have Eibach springs so can't do anything with the dealer re the feathering, even do we all know this isn't the reason for the problem.
So you went with aftermarket suspension and you expect your OEM warranty to be honoured? C'mon...
Old 09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I don't, which is why I have NOT gone to my dealer. BUT, there is ample proof that Zs feather, it is NOT the Eibachs that caused it, so I don't see why it could not be honored.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:55 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Originally posted by slaponte
No I don't, which is why I have NOT gone to my dealer. BUT, there is ample proof that Zs feather, it is NOT the Eibachs that caused it, so I don't see why it could not be honored.
Guy, I feel your frustration... but you can't expect a dealer to spend their money to fix something you've altered in a material fashion (i.e., one that voids that portion of your limited warranty).

You should go back to the folks who installed your Eibachs and make it their problem.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:03 PM
slaponte

Maybe you are well missinformed. The Eibachs did NOT cause the feathering. The original car with the original springs feathers the tires. Why would Eibach have to fix a design flaw on the car?

So lets see. If instead of Potenzas I use, lets say, Pilots, that would also invalidate the warranty? Or if I buy aftermarket 18" rims instead of the OEM 18" rims? None of these things cause the feathering.

So, I can have my OEM springs put back, run for 8K miles, and THEN they can go ahead and replace my tires? And one more thing. Lets say I buy the car, it has a design flaw, it eats a set of tires at 8K, they pay, it eats another set at 16K, they pay, and then at 24K is no longer their problem???

I have bought my tires. I have paid my alignments. I still believe they should fix it.

I am POSITIVE it was not the EIbach springs that couse this issue. By the time I had them put on, the tires were feathered already.

As much as I adore my redhead and I have spent more money on it than ever on any other car, I can say the problem is annoying as heck! And the sound gets to be totally umbearable.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:59 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

You're missing the point, slaponte.

Read your warranty. It's a legally-binding contract with specific remedies and specific exclusion clauses that gives any Nissan dealer the option of voiding the warranty if material changes to the vehicle have been made.

From the 2003 Nissan factory warranty...

As the vehicle owner, you should also be aware that Nissan may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.

If you want warranty-covered work done on your suspension, you would be wise to return that suspension to factory-spec, otherwise any dealer is well within their rights (and their own best interests) to turn you away.

Last edited by RoadRagerInTherapy; 09-07-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:18 PM
xxlbeerZ

So what, you're Canadian.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Michael-Dallas

Hmmm... this looks mighty familiar:

After a class action lawsuit about what they considered to be premature tire wear, the rear alignment settings were changed. With less rear toe, the rear tires last longer. There is no reason you can't run the original '91-'92 settings if ultimate performance is the goal and tire life is not a primary concern.
Deja vu? Oh wait, looks like Nissan has been proactive in [attempting to] satisfying everybody.

The 350z is cheap, but it's still a sports car. If you're expecting it to handle like a Porsche, but maintain like a Honda Civic, then I've got real depressing news.

The way I see it, it could be worse -- just search the 996 and 986 forum for RMS in the title and you'll get as many hits as you would w/ tire feathering on this board.

BTW, does this look familiar?

I track my 350 regularly and the suspension hasn't failed me at all, even w/ the numerous "rally crosses." IMO, there ain't nothing wrong w/ the suspension.

Michael.

BTW, you guys oughta read what:

1- Discount Tire Co says about toe and feathering;
2- Michelin tires says about toe and feathering;
3- Yokohama tires says about toe and feathering;
4- Midas says about toe and feathering;
Old 09-08-2004, 03:25 AM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Originally posted by xxlbeerZ
So what, you're Canadian.
Attached Thumbnails Tire feathering is stopping me from getting a Z-negative11.jpg  
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 AM
slaponte

Road Rager, we are both missing each other's point I guess. I KNOW what the warranty states and I KNOW they have a right to refuse. And this is WHY I don't take it to my dealer because I KNOW I put the springs on it and I have to deal with it.

BUT...

The statement you quote is quite interesting.

As the vehicle owner, you should also be aware that Nissan may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.

It is clearly demonstrated that the springs I have on DID NOT cause the failure. I would easily stand in front of a judge and submit evidence of how many 350Z have had the same problem as mine with the original OEM springs. Thus, my car did NOT fail DUE TO the unapproved modifications.

See, this is the stand of most after market part manufacturers. The dealer should not deny you unless they can prove that the part you installed CAUSED the damage.

Of course, we all know they do. So, I don't try. It's ok. I like the 1" drop and the better ride, so it is my choice.

I still do not think they have a reson to deny the warranty service in this case. And, all they have to do is change my tires, align the car, and IF IT IS TRUE THAT THE ALIGNMENT fixes the problem, they have a happyt customer. Not bad compared to all the money they spend on marketing to get you in there in the first place.

Oh, and by the way, I happen to be a Support Services Manager. The products I support carry a warranty as well. And I approve service requests, and work in costumer sat issues... I think I might have a little knowledge on that side.

Originally posted by RoadRagerInTherapy
You're missing the point, slaponte.

Read your warranty. It's a legally-binding contract with specific remedies and specific exclusion clauses that gives any Nissan dealer the option of voiding the warranty if material changes to the vehicle have been made.

From the 2003 Nissan factory warranty...

If you want warranty-covered work done on your suspension, you would be wise to return that suspension to factory-spec, otherwise any dealer is well within their rights (and their own best interests) to turn you away.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:49 PM
MikeNT256

Originally posted by RoadRagerInTherapy

This is a $30K budget-sports-car, ladies and gents, not a $60K Porsche.
I don't mean to chime in and throw fuel in the fire -- but $30 budget sports car? Yes it is a car thats set in the bang-for-the-buck budget as opposed to the BMW Z4, Porsche Boxter, and Audi TT. I'm sorry, but I do not have $30k to spend on a "cheap" sports car. Nor do I want to invest $30k over 60 months that is going to cause me more problems and frustrations than I need, especially problems i've never had with any other car. Its almost a trade off in my shoes:

The 99-04+ Grand Am:
-has horrible brakes (under sized, warp very easily)
-very weak transmission (maxes out at 300hp capability, overheats)
-uses Dexcool in the engine coolant (eventually dry-rots the lower intake manifold gasket, causing a messy leak...i've had mine done already)
-uses cheap window assemblies in the 2 door models (which fail due to the overweight, oversized windows)
-under powered (175hp at the crank..140 at the wheels stock, with no manual available in the GT)

Instead, i'll spend the extra $6 grand on--

A 2004 Nissan 350z:
-grease streaked windows
-tire feathering
-hatch noise
-stick shift vibration on high revs
-transmission grinding

Its almost like...what problems would I rather deal with? The GA has had problems, but it hasn't kept me off the road and hasn't cost me an arm and a leg to replace (I'm sorry but I think spending $ on tires is expensive, I just replaced my 17" tires..i'm trying to start saving money)

I'm guessing the answer I may receive is "You shouldn't buy this car then if you can't afford it or it's problems" And you're probably right, but can you hate me for wanting something nice and sporty while offering the higher handling and performance capabilities that my current car doesn't have? I'm young, and i'm making it in this world. Nothing wrong with wanting something nice. But we all know that once you pay for things on your own, you want them to last a little bit longer. And living on my own budget, I want things to last.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:18 PM
ktm
Banned

Originally posted by MikeNT256
I don't mean to chime in and throw fuel in the fire -- but $30 budget sports car? Yes it is a car thats set in the bang-for-the-buck budget as opposed to the BMW Z4, Porsche Boxter, and Audi TT. I'm sorry, but I do not have $30k to spend on a "cheap" sports car. Nor do I want to invest $30k over 60 months that is going to cause me more problems and frustrations than I need, especially problems i've never had with any other car. Its almost a trade off in my shoes:

The 99-04+ Grand Am:
-has horrible brakes (under sized, warp very easily)
-very weak transmission (maxes out at 300hp capability, overheats)
-uses Dexcool in the engine coolant (eventually dry-rots the lower intake manifold gasket, causing a messy leak...i've had mine done already)
-uses cheap window assemblies in the 2 door models (which fail due to the overweight, oversized windows)
-under powered (175hp at the crank..140 at the wheels stock, with no manual available in the GT)

Instead, i'll spend the extra $6 grand on--

A 2004 Nissan 350z:
-grease streaked windows
-tire feathering
-hatch noise
-stick shift vibration on high revs
-transmission grinding

Its almost like...what problems would I rather deal with? The GA has had problems, but it hasn't kept me off the road and hasn't cost me an arm and a leg to replace (I'm sorry but I think spending $ on tires is expensive, I just replaced my 17" tires..i'm trying to start saving money)

I'm guessing the answer I may receive is "You shouldn't buy this car then if you can't afford it or it's problems" And you're probably right, but can you hate me for wanting something nice and sporty while offering the higher handling and performance capabilities that my current car doesn't have? I'm young, and i'm making it in this world. Nothing wrong with wanting something nice. But we all know that once you pay for things on your own, you want them to last a little bit longer. And living on my own budget, I want things to last.
I do not intend this as a flame, but then live within your means. You say you are young.....wait. I am 33....I could have never afforded this car when I was 26 and fresh out of graduate school (I am an engineer). Sure, I may have desperately wanted one and could have tried to make it work, but in the end it is not worth it.

I am sorry, but $30,000 is CHEAP for ANY car. My god, just look at the price of a Titan, Murano or any SUV. Look at the price of an RX-8, WRX, Evo, G35 sedan, Lexus IS 300, etc. They are all mid 20s to low 30s.

Folks, the Z is a budget sports car. Period. It has a bullet proof Nissan engine, fantastic handling, racing heritage, incredible styling, etc., but in the end there were some sacrifices made (interior quality for one).

I am not saying that we should expect problems with our cars. I would not expect problems from ANY car I buy, regardless of the price. However, I put things in perspective.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:32 PM
MikeNT256

I know, I am attempting to "roll with the big dogs" so to speak. But I guess, I feel that I am young and if I have the opportunity, to do so, in a safe (money wise) and responsible manner, I may take advantage of that while I can.

I'm not intending this as a flame neither, but you say you're an engineer. I'm assuming that typically, all engineers make very good money, which thus would make you say that 30k is nothing short of cheap. I don't know, thats still alot of money man...30k is 30k. The G35 was way out of my price range at $585 a month LEASE...no thanks.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:33 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I've owned my Brick for over a year & 1/2 now and have spent, maybe, $300.................all for routine maintenance.

Well, not quite true. I did upgrade the stero sytem for $1600.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:00 AM
slaponte

Ahh.. I make a 6 fig salary, but I would not call a 30K car "cheap". I am sure somebody out there might know the median price for automobiles in the USA, considering from Lambos to Kia's. We would have to agree that if the median is around $28K, then $30K+ is NOT cheap.

Lets look at it this way, do. If the salesman had told me that I had to buy tires every 8K miles, would I have bought the car? No. So now the problem shows up, and I am supposed to live with it? Didn't I pay $30K for a product that is supposed to be in working condition? Didn't it come with a warranty that if something is not, the vendor will make a reasonable effort to fix it?

You know, all I would like to see is a reasonable effort from Nissan to

- admit to the problem
- help us out, lets say trade-in value on the tires UNTIL the problem is finally resolved.

The sooner they fix it, the sooner they are off the hook.

Sounds fair to me.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:10 AM
slaponte

Here is a way : Go to Edmunds and look at new car prices by TYPE and click on coupe/hatchback. You get this :

Under $15K : 12 cars
15 to 25K : 32 cars
25 to 35K : 16 cars
35 to 45K : 5 cars
45 to 55K : 3 cars
55 to 85K : 6 cars
Over 85K : 15 cars.

So if we place the Z at around $32K, it is in the upper half of the set (0 to 25 has 44 cars, 25K+ has 45 cars).

While cheaper than other options, I would not consider the upper half of the set a "cheap" car.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:39 AM
NzZ

Slaponte I'm with you on this one. The moral of the story is this: never buy a Nissan product. Although the Z is a fantastic car, its manufacturer simply doesn't stand behind its product. I strongly suspect that all the new nissan products will be ridden with problems that the company just won't fix for owners. My personal opinion is that the other japanese manufacturers would not hang so many owners out to dry.

NzZ
Old 09-09-2004, 11:48 AM
hansel

Originally posted by MikeNT256
I don't mean to chime in and throw fuel in the fire -- but $30 budget sports car? Yes it is a car thats set in the bang-for-the-buck budget as opposed to the BMW Z4, Porsche Boxter, and Audi TT. I'm sorry, but I do not have $30k to spend on a "cheap" sports car. Nor do I want to invest $30k over 60 months that is going to cause me more problems and frustrations than I need, especially problems i've never had with any other car. Its almost a trade off in my shoes
I'm with this guy! Many people would agree that a brand new $30k car is not cheap and shouldn't come with these problems.

I currently drive a $17k Honda Civic. It's been 4 years and I haven't had a single problem. I turbo'd it too. If I was to pay almost double for a new car, then I'd expect to not have to expect problems for a while.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by NzZ
My personal opinion is that the other japanese manufacturers would not hang so many owners out to dry.
Then, perhaps, you shouldn't read this.

Michael.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:31 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Originally posted by NzZ
Slaponte I'm with you on this one. The moral of the story is this: never buy a Nissan product. Although the Z is a fantastic car, its manufacturer simply doesn't stand behind its product. I strongly suspect that all the new nissan products will be ridden with problems that the company just won't fix for owners. My personal opinion is that the other japanese manufacturers would not hang so many owners out to dry.

NzZ

How is Nissan releasing a TSB, extending your alignment warranty, and fixing your alignment for free indication of a company that "doesn't stand behind its product"?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:49 PM
slaponte

My feelings do not go as far as NzZ.

I think that if the answer is/was alignment, it shouldn't take so long to figure this out. And I think that limiting the solution to 20K miles or 24K miles is not right unless it is proven that the fix is final and the problem is resolved.

Quick Reply: Tire feathering is stopping me from getting a Z